Thread: Steelers-Patriots: How the Pittsburgh D Can Stop Matt Cassel

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Steelers-Patriots: How the Pittsburgh D Can Stop Matt Cassel

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ssel/show_full

by Leo Hayes

Everyone remembers the past decade, the Patriots dominating everyone in the NFL, and certainly not least the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers have lost two AFC championship games to the Patriots and several regular season games, though they did snap the record 21 game winning streak of the Patriots in 2004.

In these games we typically see a Patriot's team, led by Tom Brady, picking apart the relatively weak secondary of the Steelers, and eventually throwing up the deep bomb on 3rd-and-long for a 60-yard touchdown.

Something tells me it will be different this time around.

First thing's first, though Pittsburgh's defense is usually a top five powerhouse, the defense this year is giving up fractions of a yard over 235 per game, which is easily one of the best defenses in recent memory, for any team.

The Steelers have also excelled in every defensive category, including Passing Defense, Points Per Game, and Red Zone defense. Those last three statistics are going to make the difference in this game.

Matt Cassel is good, but he has not faced a team like "Blitzburgh" with 37 sacks on the season and some of the most confusing blitzing schemes in the league. The pass rush is why the Steelers defense is so good, with both of the outside linebackers having more than 10 sacks and looking to get more.

This kind of pass rush the Patriots have not faced yet this year, and Cassel has yet to see.

I would be foolish not to mention the weaknesses in the Steelers offense, the offensive line is very poor at best and is allowing Ben to get hit entirely too much. Luckily for the Steelers, the Patriots do not usually test this aspect of an opposing team, especially not this year.

The Steelers also have injuries to key players, most notably, Big Ben Roethlisberger who has been playing hurt from week one and has managed, except for a poor stretch in the middle, to do well enough to win.

Willie Parker is also hurt... again, and may not be the same running back he used to be whenever he finally gets healthy, but the Steelers have shown depth at that position calling up practice squad players who now have touchdowns (Gary Russell).
    The game will be close, it will come down to the offense of the Steelers, as the defense will keep them in every game they play.

If they can stick to the short efficient passes, as they did against the Chargers and Bengals and can keep Ben's TD column with a higher number than the INT column the Steelers will likely win, because with the No. 1 defense in football, the Patriots aren't putting up many points.

Now for the crystal ball portion of the article:
    Final Score: Pittsburgh 21, New England 17

Both Roethlisberger and Cassel have two passing touchdowns, Ben has a pick, Matt has two.

Pats take the lead late in the fourth with a field goal. The Patriots bring the blitz and try to sack Ben but leave Nate “Clunky” Washington open for a deep bomb inside the 10. Davenport or Russell runs it in on 2nd and short to put up the difference.
    No QB has a 400 in the passing yards column.
    Would sure like this to come to pass! I don't want us to be to the Pats like the Browns are to us--a sure win with little fear every time we play. See below as to why I hope we pin their ears back.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ghest-test-yet
    Chris Radez
    As a Patriots fan, it's tough to avoid being over-confident about this game, for a lot of reasons.
    The Steelers are currently 23rd in the league in points scored per game, 26th in the league in offensive yards gained per game, 18th in pass yards and 24th in rushing yards.

That's bottom half of the league in every category.

They've lost to the Eagles, Giants and Colts... which tells me they have trouble winning big games.

The Steelers had trouble beating the likes of the Browns, Ravens, Chargers, and Jaguars... which tells me they can be beaten by mediocre teams.

Pittsburgh's offense just isn't explosive enough to think they can win against a team that has any semblance of a defense, and with the games they have left on the schedule (NE, DAL, BAL, TEN, CLE), they'll be lucky if they finish 10-6.

Against New England this weekend, the Steelers will have to find a way to get ahead early, or they won't stand a chance, and here's why.
    Matt Cassel became the fifth quarterback ever to throw for 400 yards or more in two straight games this past weekend. Randy Moss is making ridiculous catches, and it's leaving Wes Welker open across the middle and in the flat.

Reminiscent of last year, much?

Kevin Faulk is a legitimate enough threat to keep the defense honest, and quite frankly that's all we need from him.

New England played a game against the Jets two weeks ago (those same Jets that are currently considered by many to be the best team in the AFC), in which overtime was needed to declare a winner... and to be honest, a coin flip basically decided the winner of that game.

This past Sunday, the Pats put up 48 points and beat the Dolphins by 20. These are the same Dolphins that annihilated the Pats in week three.

Same teams, same players (actually, the Pats have lost some key guys since then), and the outcome was a complete reversal. Why? It's because New England has improved incredibly since then... especially Matt Cassel. There's no way in hell anyone can deny that.

Not to mention... the Dolphins are also a way better team than they were in week three, and it was still a complete reversal.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Steelers are not the Dolphins. Ben is not Chad. Oh, and Cassel is not Brady. The Pats will be lucky to finish this game with their #2 QB still able to continue the rest of the season. We are the Steelers, not some faggy AFC East team. Now I am really hot. Hope I dont throw my beer mug through my 60 inch screen on Sunday.....lol

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Steelers are not the Dolphins. Ben is not Chad. Oh, and Cassel is not Brady. The Pats will be lucky to finish this game with their #2 QB still able to continue the rest of the season. We are the Steelers, not some faggy AFC East team. Now I am really hot. Hope I dont throw my beer mug through my 60 inch screen on Sunday.....lol
    I agree I am pissed too after reading this as well. Somebody should tell this clown that this Steelers defense is ten times better this year then it was last year and much healthier too. The Patriots didnt have to deal with guys like Troy,Clark,Woodley who either werent playing or not starting then, and even a guy like Bryant McFadden who is probably going to play this week and is arguably the Steelers best corner. This year they will have too deal with all of this stuff. If Ben and this offense gets up on this weak *** Pats defense 24-6 like the Jets did a few weeks ago, and if this Steelers offense is clicking on all cylinders which I definitely think has a chance of happening, I can guarantee you that the Pats and Cassel arent going to comeback like they did that game against the Jets and Cassel isnt going to throw for no 400 yards passing sorry buddy it wont happen.

after 2 games everyone is all over cassels dick, it wont last long hes just this weeks media whore

My Mood
    Buzzed
    i agree that the steelers need to come out with the a lead first, but other then that its a bunch of bullsh!t, watch the CASSELL CRUMBLE this sunday!!! hahaha 400 yards? I THINK NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    after 2 games everyone is all over cassels dick, it wont last long hes just this weeks media whore

Well of course, he's the backup for the NFL's posterchild and he plays for the NFL's favorite cheating franchise. the media just loves to slob the Patriots knob every chance they get and now that Cassel has played well the last few weeks all of the sudden they are god's again and we should just bow to them. **** that, any idiot who thinks the Dolphins are anywhere as good of a defense as we are should just look at the stats..what a bunch a crap!

Anyone watch ESPN's First Take this morning? More specifically, the First Take segments.

They had Marcellus Wiley(who is the biggest Jags homer EVER) and Erik Kuselius filling in for Skip Bayless on. They discussed our game and quite honestly, I have never been so pissed at two reporters like I was when this segment was over. They both picked us to lose. Okay, whatever that is fine. Their opinion.

It was how or why they thought we would lose that really got me. Marcellus pointed out that we ahd the number D last year when we went into Foxborough and we lost. Uh, injuries bud? Ever heard of them? Then Erik had to chime in and that is what really made me mad. He said that we DID NOT have the number D in the league and that we were more of a PAPER CHAMPION then anything else. He said that he when he thought of the best defenses in the league ther Steelers did not come to his mind first. he freakin said TN had a better D then us!!!!!

I was just dumbfounded that they insulted our defense like that. I mean, have they even watched any of our games this year? I had to just let out how angry I was when I heard that. I figured you all would understand.

I now want our D to send Cassel home to mama crying.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Tailgate Coordinator
    I don't care who QB's the Patriots, if we do not put pressure on them, they will kill us. I'm willing to bet, they put him in the 3 step drop and get rid of the ball mode. This is what we have to defend against. I am more worried about our offense than our defense.

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    I don't care who QB's the Patriots, if we do not put pressure on them, they will kill us. I'm willing to bet, they put him in the 3 step drop and get rid of the ball mode. This is what we have to defend against. I am more worried about our offense than our defense.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Found this on a pats forum and thought, you have GOT to be kiddin me!! (Oh, and Steve has a few other nice things to say as well )

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/sho...854#post989854

Registered User Steve1 says:

[/quote] Pittsburgh usually purposely injures a Patriot; who will it be this time?
    You've got your Rodney. You've got your Brady. I forget who else was purposely injured by the "steeler way". So who's number is up this next game? I mean, who are the 2 or three best/most important players on the Pats? Cassel? Mankins? I'll say Bruschi. On purpose.

[/quote]

I just keep findin things that keep me boilin' tonight lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Week 13 provides a chance for these four road teams to get a win
    By Jason Feller | NFL.com

It takes a lot to win on the road in the NFL, but there are four teams that possess the ingredients necessary to pull off the difficult feat in Week 13.

The Dolphins, Colts, Falcons and Chiefs all appear to be in position to claim road victories. The Dolphins travel to St. Louis to square off against the reeling Rams, the Colts will do battle vs. the host Browns, the Falcons face the struggling Chargers and the Chiefs are taking on an inconsistent Raiders team.

Each matchup provides a unique opportunity for the visiting team to get a win.
    Ummm, I don't see Steelers/Pats matchup in there--they don't even think it's POSSIBLE?!?!?
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 11-29-2008 at 02:39 AM.

Thread Information