Thread: Pre Game Report - Steelers vs Falcons (Wk. 7)

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel

Arrow Pre Game Report - Steelers vs Falcons (Wk. 7)

AGAINST

Week 7 Pre Game Summary Presented by: House of Steel.
    PITTSBURGH STEELERS (2-3) at ATLANTA FALCONS (3-2)
    October 22, 2006 --- 1:00PM from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA.

Television Coverage Note: This game will be televised on CBS with your number one announcing team Jim Nantz (Play-by-Play) and Phil Simms (Color Analyst)

Stats of Interest:
    HEAD COACHES:

Pittsburgh Steelers----Bill Cowher
    Overall record/Season: 143-85-1 in his 15th Season in Pittsburgh (.627)
    Playoff Records/Years: 12-9 (.571)/ 10 years

Atlanta Falcons-----Jim Mora
    Overall record/Season: 22-15 (.595) in his 3rd Season in Atlanta
    Playoff Record/Years: 1-1/ 1 year

Series Notes:
    Series History: Series began in 1966
    Overall: Pittsburgh leads 11-1-1
    At Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh leads 5-0-1
    At Atlanta: Pittsburgh leads 6-1
    Last Meeting: Nov. 10, 2002 at Heinz Field Pittsburgh 34 and Atlanta 34 in Overtime.

House of Steel here with your Week 7 game analysis. The Pittsburgh Steelers are traveling on the road to the Georgia Dome to face the upcoming Atlanta Falcons. The Steelers may have started the season slowly, but the defending Super Bowl Champion showed last week that they are still a team to be reckoned with displaying a 45-7 win over Kansas City.

The revitalized Steelers are seeking their first road win of the season Sunday, and try to contain the punishing rushing attack of the Atlanta Falcons.

Believe it or not the Falcons has over 1,160 rushing yards this season, nearly 400 yards more than any other team in the league. The Falcon's average of 232.0 rushing yards per game , if this holds up, would be the second-best single season rushing offense in NFL History behind the 1936 Detroit Lions (240.4).

Warrick Dunn ranks fifth in the NFL with 511 rushing yards while Michael Vick has 401--no other quarterback in the league has more than 87 on the season.

The Steelers (2-3) have done a marvelous job of defending the run so far this season, allowing opponents 78.4 yards on the ground. Offensively, Pittsburgh ranks eighth with 125.8 rushing yards per game.

The Steelers have their thunder and lightening tandem figured out finally in Willie Parker, whom ran for 109 yards and two touchdowns last Sunday against Kansas City. Backup running back Najeh Davenport added 78 yards and a score as the Steelers impressively outran Kansas City and shutting down Larry Johnson 218-39.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, meanwhile, finally shrugged off the rust and threw his first two touchdowns of the season since last year's AFC Championship game. He was so impressive, finished perfect in the passer rating completing 16-19 for a season-high 238 yards.

The Falcons (3-2) took a 14-3 lead early in the third quarter against the New York Giants with Dunn breaking free for the Falcons Record 90 yard mad dash to the end zone . The Giants dominated this game rushing for 259 yards and sacking Vick 7 times to defeat them 27-14.

Beginning with the Steelers, the Falcons play all four AFC North teams in a five-week stretch. Atlanta goes to Cincinnati, the reigning AFC North Champions (I hate saying this anymore) and then the following week going to Baltimore to face the division leaders in the Ravens.

Joey Porter is listed as doubtful for this game after being listed out against the Kansas City Chiefs with a hamstring injury.

The Steelers are 0-2 on the road this season and have managed a total of just 13 points and 94 rushing yards in those losses.

Keys to the game:

Pittsburgh Steelers:

1. Contain Vick and keep him in the pocket: This is a very vital important key to winning this game is isolating Vick from running out of the pocket, he is extremely dangerous on the run and does his best passing on the run also. Very speedy Quarterback.

2. Contain Warrick Dunn: The Steelers shown the door to Kansas City and now it is time to take that high momentum of stopping Larry Johnson to Warrick Dunn. The Steelers are masters of the run stopping

3. BLITZBURGH and often: Throw the Blitz at Vick, he buckles under pressure and makes many mental mistakes. Troy Polamalu is going to be a real factor in this defensive package allowing Polamalu to line up and move around to confuse the defensive reading for Vick.

Atlanta Falcons:

1. Block up the Speedy Steelers DL: This is going to be a real tough test for the OL of the Falcons to contain some of the best Lineman in all of football in the Steelers. If they can hold the line and allowing Vick to roam free out of the pocket, their chances are very high toward victory.

2. Break open rushing lanes: The OL biggest responsibility is to allowing Dunn some holes to run through to get those long gains. Looking at the Steelers defensive, this is going to be a very hard tact to tackle on.

3. Expose the weak coverage by the Steelers Secondary: Atlanta should know the secondary of the Steelers can play suspect and can expose their weakness. Lining up Ashley Lelie, Roddy White, and others to take advantage of size and speed to open up the air attack.

House of Steel's Prediction: If the Steelers hold up on their own, Ben should have a great day and so can Willie Parker. A repeat performance from the Kansas City is highly unlikely score wise, but I am going with the Steelers on this one. Steelers 27 Falcons 16.
    Last edited by House of Steel; 10-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    excellent work once again

House of Steel
    after screwing up how many times til it finally got to display my work, LMAO. I am very tired, I done a lot this week between your site, this site, the summaries, the sig request, the sig contest. I need a much deserved break. Not that I am complaining, I love doing it all, but I took on too much than I can handle.

Thanks for the comments.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Great article HoS! Thanks a ton for doing it this week.

House of Steel
    No problem, SF, I am always here to lend a hand when needed at the last second. I wanted to do better, but I was so tired. I think that report is a good one.

Nice work dude! Looks really good!!

Nice Job HoS!!!!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Thread Information