Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Don't count on anyone but these seven teams winning the Super Bowl

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    SA's Biggest Fan
    SteelersWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,899
    My Mood
    Stressed

    Don't count on anyone but these seven teams winning the Super Bowl


    Don't Count On ...
    ... anyone but the following seven teams winning the Super Bowl.

    Twelve teams are going to make the playoffs, but there won't be 12 teams with a shot of winning the Super Bowl. Some teams will have the records, but not necessarily the goods.

    It's like the hippie vegan girl who enters the local beauty pageant ... you can tell her that everyone's beautiful in their own way, but I'm sorry, when it goes to the judges, the girl with the hairy armpits just doesn't have a chance.

    It's not necessarily the best teams that'll be on the short list of teams that can win it all, either. What I'm looking for is 1) hairy armpits. And 2) a team that has one dominant unit that can catch fire and just steamroll teams. To me, that's the key.

    You can't have any areas that are pitiful weaknesses, but more important is that one unstoppable unit to lean on. You've got to have that one area that a team either can't defend, or has to give up a lot of things in other areas in order to defend. The Giants pass rush. The Colts passing game. That sort of thing.

    7. Dallas Cowboys. With that in mind, we proudly begin this list with a team that has no dominant unit. Right now, I'm not sure they even have that great of a chance to make the playoffs. I can think of at least four, and as many as eight, other teams not on this list that I'd choose to beat the Cowboys on a neutral field right now.
    But I can't let go of the notion that there's a high ceiling for this team, if they ever get their mental/emotional issues worked out to a point where they can show up and play hard, and with energy and togetherness every week.

    That's the thing, though. With every team in the history of sports that's ever had that problem this late in a season, exactly zero of them have ever recovered and won the championship that their talent dictated they should have. It won't start with these Cowboys, either, but I think their talent level just barely, barely, barely qualifies them for inclusion on this list.

    6. Baltimore Ravens. Again, like the Cowboys, a potential snag here could be that they won't be in the playoffs. But if they do get into the bonus round, would you want it to be your team that had to gameplan around Baltimore's defense?

    Would you want it to be your team that had to worry about the Ravens defense stealing points of their own, or putting their offense in a position to work with a short field? In the end, they won't have enough balance, and if, by some miracle, they did make it to the Super Bowl ... well, they better hope it's not the Giants on the other end of the ceremonial coin toss.


    5. Green Bay Packers. The Packers hate your passing game and they wish harm upon it. Al Harris and Charles Woodson lead a secondary that's the best in the league at collecting interceptions, opposing quarterback rating, opponent's completion percentage and average yards per passing attempt.

    It seems like this is an offense that's rounding into form, too. Five of Ryan Grant's six best games this year have been his last five, Aaron Rodgers is playing at a high level and still gaining experience and keep in mind that just a couple of weeks ago the Packers gave undefeated Tennessee all they could handle, in Tennessee.

    4. Pittsburgh Steelers. What do they do well? They attack. They blitz. They punish your quarterback. And if they play you at home, they make you play on a field that's as well-maintained as your local, "$8 to golf all day, no shirts required!" golf course.
    You might point to their offense, specifically their offensive line, as a pitiful

    weakness, and I couldn't argue with you. However, I'd also point out that the stars of the offense -- Roethlisberger, Ward and Parker -- all have Super Bowl experience, and there have been dim, flickering signs recently that Roethlisberger is starting to play smarter.

    3. Arizona Cardinals. What the Cardinals have is an unstoppable passing attack with two receivers who no one can cover in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan "Toughest Man Alive" Boldin. Throw in Steve Breaston, throw in Jerheme Urban ... and, oh yeah, throw in a quarterback having a brilliant year who's probably the leader in the clubhouse for MVP right now, and who also has a Super Bowl MVP trophy on his mantle.

    The defense? Not great, but maybe not as bad as you think. They give up fewer than 90 rushing yards per game, which is pretty good, and 210 passing yards per game, which doesn't kill you. Granted, these stats might be skewed a little from playing Seattle, San Fran and St. Louis twice, but they are what they are.
    Warner, those receivers and Ken Whisenhunt's creativity can score enough points on any given day to beat anyone.

    2. Tennessee Titans. You don't go 10-0 by accident. Tennessee's got a great defensive front, they pressure the quarterback, they give up fewer than four yards per carry and they can run the ball against anyone. When you can do those things, you can beat anyone. As they've proven.

    1. New York Giants. The most dominant offensive line and the most dominant running game in the league. Ask Baltimore. They also happen to be second in the league in total defense, second in sacks and second in passing yards allowed per game.

    And as you might recall, they also have Super Bowl experience. Very recent Super Bowl experience. They're the most well-rounded group that also has sharp points of brilliance.

    And if your team doesn't appear on this list, don't sweat. Three of the last eight Super Bowl champions have come from the Wild Card position, so things don't always work out as they're supposed to.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,123813
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 11-24-2008 at 01:20 PM.

  2. #2
    Top 30 Troyisabeast_43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,615
    My Mood
    Clowns
    I would agree with a lot of those accept I would replace Baltimore with Indianapolis and the Packers with the New York Jets. Why do I say this because both the Packers and Ravens while they do have good defenses, they both have first year starting QB's in Aaron Rodgers who is not a rookie but still a first year starter, and Joe Flacco who is a rookie QB and as we all know a rookie QB has never won the Super Bowl. I replace those two teams with the Jets and Colts for the simple fact that both of those teams have starting franchise QB's in Brett Favre and Peyton Manning who have won Super Bowls in the past, and are capable of carrying their team on their backs in the playoffs should they get hot.

  3. #3
    BlitzburghNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hazard,Ky
    Posts
    7,874
    I did call the jets winning there division before they got farve

    I say the Rats miss the playoffs,,,,,,

    Patzeez & Colts get the wildcards

  4. #4
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Colts are starting to play really well and Manning is starting to look like Peyton Manning again......Plus they have a really easy schedule so they can have a ton of momentum heading into the play-offs....Their defense is still a question mark but a healthy Bob Sanders adds so much to that defense....Right now his healthy is in question again.....The Colts worry me more then any other team in the AFC since they have been playing really well lately and looking more like the Colts....Dropping that game to them sucks big time....It doesn't effect anything in the standings but it does give them confidence they can win in Pittsburgh......

  5. #5
    LarryNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I would agree with a lot of those accept I would replace Baltimore with Indianapolis and the Packers with the New York Jets. Why do I say this because both the Packers and Ravens while they do have good defenses, they both have first year starting QB's in Aaron Rodgers who is not a rookie but still a first year starter, and Joe Flacco who is a rookie QB and as we all know a rookie QB has never won the Super Bowl. I replace those two teams with the Jets and Colts for the simple fact that both of those teams have starting franchise QB's in Brett Favre and Peyton Manning who have won Super Bowls in the past, and are capable of carrying their team on their backs in the playoffs should they get hot.
    I agree! The only reason they are putting the ravens in the mix is their D.

  6. #6
    Top 30 Troyisabeast_43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,615
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The Colts are starting to play really well and Manning is starting to look like Peyton Manning again......Plus they have a really easy schedule so they can have a ton of momentum heading into the play-offs....Their defense is still a question mark but a healthy Bob Sanders adds so much to that defense....Right now his healthy is in question again.....The Colts worry me more then any other team in the AFC since they have been playing really well lately and looking more like the Colts....Dropping that game to them sucks big time....It doesn't effect anything in the standings but it does give them confidence they can win in Pittsburgh......
    I am not worried about dropping that game to the Colts so much 32 because quite simply the Steelers gave that game to the Colts with the two horrible interceptions that Ben threw before the half, and with 4 minutes left in the game when the Steelers were up 20-17. The Steelers moved the ball up and down the field on the Colts in that game with Bob Sanders in there, and for the most part other then the one big play Reggie Wayne got on the tip pass from Ike Taylor did a pretty good job against Peyton Manning and that offense. Look the bottom line is the Colts won the game. The Steelers turned the ball over twice in their own end, and gave Peyton Manning a short field to work with 2 times which is absolute suicide. Let's not forget the play-calling in that game was terrible as well when they decided to run Moore up the middle 3 straight times and he got stuffed, and they had to settle for a FG and go up 20-17 instead of scoring the touchdown and going up 24-17. Keep in mind Heath Miller,Willie Parker,Lamar Woodley,and Bryant McFadden didnot play in that game. All 4 of those players will be playing most likely come playoff time should their be a rematch here at Heinz Field with the Colts. The bottom line is clean up the mistakes and turnovers if you play the Colts again in the playoffs, and the Steelers should beat them the next time around.

  7. #7
    AZ_Steeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    19,358
    I'm getting tired of all the Titan talk

  8. #8
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I am not worried about dropping that game to the Colts so much 32 because quite simply the Steelers gave that game to the Colts with the two horrible interceptions that Ben threw before the half, and with 4 minutes left in the game when the Steelers were up 20-17. The Steelers moved the ball up and down the field on the Colts in that game with Bob Sanders in there, and for the most part other then the one big play Reggie Wayne got on the tip pass from Ike Taylor did a pretty good job against Peyton Manning and that offense. Look the bottom line is the Colts won the game. The Steelers turned the ball over twice in their own end, and gave Peyton Manning a short field to work with 2 times which is absolute suicide. Let's not forget the play-calling in that game was terrible as well when they decided to run Moore up the middle 3 straight times and he got stuffed, and they had to settle for a FG and go up 20-17 instead of scoring the touchdown and going up 24-17. Keep in mind Heath Miller,Willie Parker,Lamar Woodley,and Bryant McFadden didnot play in that game. All 4 of those players will be playing most likely come playoff time should their be a rematch here at Heinz Field with the Colts. The bottom line is clean up the mistakes and turnovers if you play the Colts again in the playoffs, and the Steelers should beat them the next time around.
    I understand what you're saying about the injuries, the lucky tip balls to Wayne, and the Steelers giving the game to the Colts....But a couple points to add here.....The Colts were not the healthiest of teams in that game either and they also didn't play their best....They had a ton of drop balls by WRs that game......Plus the Colts have been playing really well and should have momentum heading into the play-offs.....Plus of all the QBs in the AFC the one QB I don't want to face is Peyton Manning......You can't disagree with that one....I know you would rather the Steelers face Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, Jay Cutler, or Joe Flacco in the play-offs then Peyton Manning......After Manning the only other QB that would concern me is Favre but Favre can be an INT machine at times.....

    The Colts can't run the football so that is huge plus especially if the weather is nasty if the Steelers do face the Colts in the play-offs.....Actually right now the Colts/Steelers are my pick for the AFC title game........

  9. #9
    Top 30 Troyisabeast_43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,615
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I understand what you're saying about the injuries, the lucky tip balls to Wayne, and the Steelers giving the game to the Colts....But a couple points to add here.....The Colts were not the healthiest of teams in that game either and they also didn't play their best....They had a ton of drop balls by WRs that game......Plus the Colts have been playing really well and should have momentum heading into the play-offs.....Plus of all the QBs in the AFC the one QB I don't want to face is Peyton Manning......You can't disagree with that one....I know you would rather the Steelers face Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, Jay Cutler, or Joe Flacco in the play-offs then Peyton Manning......After Manning the only other QB that would concern me is Favre but Favre can be an INT machine at times.....

    The Colts can't run the football so that is huge plus especially if the weather is nasty if the Steelers do face the Colts in the play-offs.....Actually right now the Colts/Steelers are my pick for the AFC title game........
    I agree with you in saying that I do not want to have to face Peyton Manning come playoff time and would rather see any other QB. You do make a lot of good points as well with the Colts having guys out as well in that game I believe on the corners, and their receivers namely Harrison dropping a ton of balls in that game. If there is a rematch in the playoffs both teams will definitely be a lot more healthy on both sides of the ball and both teams will probably definitely play better as well. The good news is once again the game will be here at Heinz Field and as you said the Colts will not be able to run the ball against the Steelers at Heinz Field since they have the worst rushing attack in the league. I agree with you though I can definitely see a scenario in where the Colts end up beating Tennessee in the divisional round after winning their first wildcard game, and the Steelers winning their divisional playoff game at home against someone like the Jets,Denver,or the Pats and then facing the Colts in the AFC Title game. I will remember that you and I both said this scenario right here and we will go back in time come January and see if we both indeed were right.

  10. #10
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I agree! The only reason they are putting the ravens in the mix is their D.
    That is also why the Steelers are there...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 41 Super Bowls Down
    By kgreen in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM
  2. Steeler/Cowboys... Dynasties Revisited
    By Deb in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-31-2009, 08:44 PM
  3. Best Super Bowl logo??
    By kgreen in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •