Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers MUST get the bye week in the playoffs and here is why

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

The Steelers MUST get the bye week in the playoffs and here is why

I think it's an absolute MUST that this Steelers team gets that number 2 seed and bye week if they are to have any legit chance of going to the Super Bowl out of the AFC. I just dont think this team with this coaching staff and with the inconsistent play of the offense even though it has been better wants to push their luck and have to win 3 games to make it to the Super Bowl. While I dont think it's impossible for them to be able to do it you just do not want to be in a position where you potentially have to win 2 road games in a row after the wildcard round just to make it to the Super Bowl. I just dont have enough faith in Tomlin and Arians at this point to be able to do that even though this defense has been lights out for the most part all season long. The Steelers best chance of going to the Super Bowl is to get the 2 seed and the bye week and home game hopefully win that game and take your chances in the AFC Championship game whether it be on the road or home. We dont know what can happen at that point. Maybe Tennessee will get upset as the 1 seed in the divisional round and the Steelers will win their divisional game as the 2 seed and get the AFC Championship game at home.

At this point getting the 1 seed might not be the best thing here because the way the seeds are set up with Indy and Baltimore being a possible 5 and 6 seed and being better then the division winners such as the Jets,Broncos,Pats,or even Miami and having a good chance to beat one of those teams in the playoffs should they meet they would then get the 1 seed since the lowest seeded team remaining always plays the highest seed next. So Tennessee could end up playing the Colts lets say if they are the 5 seed if they would beat the Broncos who right now would be the 4 seed which I think they would do, and the Steelers would end up playing the Jets as the 3 if they would win their wildcard game since they arent the lowest remaining seed. So if you follow and understand what I just said there getting the number 1 seed in the AFC this year might not be the best thing because you could end up seeing a team like the Colts for your first game in the divisional round as opposed to somebody like the Jets,Denver,or even the Patriots if you are the 2 seed.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    The Jets are doin pretty well so far--I'd have to say they're doin as well as Indy. So for me, it'd be a toss up as to who I'd rather see us play. And both teams' QB's are playoff vets...Plus, Indy just (barely) beat us, so I think we'd have a pretty good chance of beatin them the second time around.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 11-22-2008 at 06:37 PM.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    The Jets are doin pretty well so far--I'd have to say they're doin as well as Indy. So for me, it'd be a toss up as to who I'd rather see us play. And both teams' QB's are playoff vets...Plus, Indy just (barely) beat us, so I think we'd have a pretty good chance of beatin them the second time around.
    I agree Id like our chances against the Colts here should we see them again as well. It would be tough for them to beat us again twice at Heinz Field although see the Jags of last year for that theory. Id still rather face Brett Favre and the Jets instead of Peyton Manning and the Colts. It appears as if it's setting up that way the way the seeds are aligned at the moment. Tennessee being the number 1 seed Im telling you right now is going to end up giving them I think a much tougher game the first game of the divisional round as opposed to the being the 2 seed which is the Steelers are set up very well to be as I mentioned above.

i really think tennessee is a team we can beat the ****ing **** out of.

indy really isnt a team that scares me if they are wildcard...that offense hurts in the cold outdoors and our defense is just nasty anywhere. the afc is really wide open, the next few weeks are important but were in pretty good shape

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The way we are going right now even on this 2 game win streak Im not counting on anything..once we play these next 2 against the Pats and Cowboys we'll have a pretty decent feel for the possibilities this team has for the postseason. Im not so sure having a bye is the best thing either though, I mean you always want that as a team but the Steelers so often come out flat after a week off and in the postseason you can't afford that. All things considered though if the Steelers end up the 2nd seed we can all feel pretty good about our chances at that point.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    As long as we are in the playoffs, thats all that matters to me. I get what your sayin Troy, but no matter what seed we get, no road will be easy in the playoffs. I see an upset coming this weekend with the Jets taking down the Titans.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tennessee is a team that is really a mirror image of what we used to be and what we sort of are now in terms of their philosophy. Play tough defense, good ST, manage the game on offense and mix in the occasional big play. I think it would be a great game with us and them and see who is left standing.

You make some great points Troy but what matters most is playing well the last few weeks heading into the playoffs. Look at the Giants last year and us the SB year. Not to mention how many times have we been disappointed at home in the playoffs in games we were favored to win.

Chopper Challenge Champion SteelerNC's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bungals
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    You make some great points Troy but what matters most is playing well the last few weeks heading into the playoffs. Look at the Giants last year and us the SB year. Not to mention how many times have we been disappointed at home in the playoffs in games we were favored to win.
    I agree with the whole home/away situation. For some reason I feel better when we are on the road playing.

With the way our defense is playing I believe that any game we play we will be in it. It will depend on how the offense plays and I like having Big Ben in big game situations. I also think the second seed will benefit the Steelers. With the way things are shaping up I can see us getting the Jets at home and more than likely the Colts in the AFC championship game. I can also see us playing the Giants or possibly the Cardinals in the SB. Go Steelers........

Thread Information