Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Need Turf! - **Update 11/22, Heinz Field being resodded**

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent

Steelers Need Turf! - **Update 11/22, Heinz Field being resodded**

Here we are again in late November and as usual our field is starting to completely fall apart. Our field is an embarrassment. I'm tired of watching Baltimore and Buffalo (among others) with state of the art turf fields and our looks like a cow pasture. What's the field going to look like after the four WPIAL Championships, Cowboys and Brownies game? Tell me how did we go from the NFL's second worst field at Three Rivers Stadium to a new state of the art stadium and now have the NFL's WORST playing surface? What's wrong with that picture? No more talk about injuries cause we have been so busted up with injuries over the last few seasons I can't believe that can be an issue any more. Not to mention the horrible footing. Is anybody paying attention how often the Steelers loose their footing on this pathetic field? Let's win the division, get a bye week, and get turf installed hopefully before we host our first playoff game.

Turf is for the white collar towns that are afraid to get dirty!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Until the Rooney's wake up and realize we are hurting ourselves by having this worthless, expensive, grass master **** at Heinz, nothing will change. We're a team built for speed now and all we do every week at home is slip and side all over the place because the field sucks. It's not going to get any better yet we continue to waste money on a field that continually is the worst in the NFL just for the sake of natural grass??? Gimme a break, that whole "history, real football, get dirty, playing in the mud" and all that crap is out of date and overrated. It's time to stop hampering our team just because of stubborness, wake up to the rest of the NFL and see what they see. There's no significant increase in injuries and what not just because you're on field turf, we have more than our share this year and last on grass and it's going to continue to be that way. Wake up and get us field turf!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post

Turf is for the white collar towns that are afraid to get dirty!
    it's always better when silverback slams someone on their face in the mud of heinz field!!
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well the Rooneys claim the players wanted grass, i wish they would put the new turf in also, we have an team that has good speed on all three sides of the ball, turf makes us that more dangerousan with all the other action going on besides us won't it cost the Ronneys less? this replacing all this grass year in an year out has to be expensive right?

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I hate the thought of turf, but our field is terrible

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There is something to be said for natural grass, I get that, it works if you are in a climate that is conducive to having natural grass and if you don't have college and high school teams playing on the same field giving it way more use than it should be getting. Bottom line is that is a stubborn way of thinking to keep paying to resod the field 2 or 3 times a year every year, shooting our self in the foot with poor conditions, etc. when you can put in field turf and you're all set with a great looking and performing field.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Ask our defense on what they'd rather have. Answer will not be turf.

From the PG tidbits:

On the surface ...
    Heinz Field will have a new surface starting Sunday.

After the four WPIAL championship games are played there Saturday, crews will start installing grass sod on top of the DD GrassMaster surface that is mostly grass.

It's the second consecutive year they will resod the field on top of the current playing surface. Last year, it turned into a muddy mess when a torrential rain turned the new sod into muck for the Nov. 26 game between the Steelers and Miami Dolphins.

It was so bad that one punt stuck like a lawn dart, point down.

Jeff Reed kicked a 24-yard field goal with 17 seconds left for a 3-0 victory and the Steelers avoiding becoming the winless Dolphins' first victim of the season.

The new sod will get its first test a week from today when Pitt plays West Virginia at Heinz Field. The Steelers do not play at home again until Dec. 7 against the Dallas Cowboys..
    Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 11-21-2008 at 12:02 PM.

I'm A "Champion"

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    They went over this last year, and every player on the team except Willie Parker wanted to keep the grass. Both Off and Def lineman all said the same thing. " We like the grass, the sloppier the better, it makes our job easier. DB, same thing. It slows down the WR, and lets them make adjustments better. Am I the only one who gets Steeler Digest? We will not be getting rid of the grass. Yes the game against the Dolphins was bad, but that was a one time deal, and it was funny.

The players will all tell you that they would rather get drilled into the grass, then field turf. Its still way more forgiving......and better for your knees and ankles.

Chopper Challenge Champion SteelerNC's Avatar
    My Mood
    Bungals
    I hate turf as well, but I think eventually we will have to get rid of the grass. It is just not working.

Thread Information