Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben & offense starting to get some rhythm

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ben & offense starting to get some rhythm

Back to Back weeks of no INT's, no sacks tonight, and making a lot of real good, timely throws to move the chains. He's as healthy as he's going to get this year and he was able to work through his slump so we might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. The passing game is clicking, players are making plays for him more and more and he's seeing the field a lot better. he still made a few questionable throws in traffic but that's what he does so we just have to live with it.

Im happy with his progression so far. Our redzone is another story but that's more play calling than anything else, which is a debate for another thread..

They struggled early, seemed to be sluggish till the Bengals scored then they got going and even though it was close till the 4th quarter you could just tell the D was starting to dial in and really keeping the Bengals from doing anything offensively while the running game came on in the 2nd half finally even though willie went out and Holmes was dinged up on that big hit. it's taking time but we're getting there folks.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-21-2008 at 12:17 AM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I still thought the offense look like crap tonight.....Ben threw no picks....But Ben easily could have had two.....He got lucky tonight.....The running game is a joke and Parker is hurt yet again...I told Teemont 10+ carries and Parker would be hurt once again....Moore is a solid RB but he isn't a RB to carry the load week in and week out...That leaves Gary Russell.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Dude, take what you can get with this team that's all we can do. The offense moved the ball all day but did stall out in the redzone a few times which is a concern I'll grant you that. They started out sluggish but began to come on as the game progressed. They still have a long ways to go but give the Bengals credit for playing good D the last few weeks, way better than they have before. considering how bad we were just a month ago Im encouraged to see them moving the ball again.

yes Parker is hurt again, don't know how bad yet and Holmes was out in the 2nd half so that didn't help but atleast we scored a couple TD's and Ben didn't turn the ball over.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Dude, take what you can get with this team that's all we can do. The offense moved the ball all day but did stall out in the redzone a few times which is a concern I'll grant you that. They started out sluggish but began to come on as the game progressed. They still have a long ways to go but give the Bengals credit for playing good D the last few weeks, way better than they have before. considering how bad we were just a month ago Im encouraged to see them moving the ball again.

yes Parker is hurt again, don't know how bad yet and Holmes was out in the 2nd half so that didn't help but atleast we scored a couple TD's and Ben didn't turn the ball over.
    The Bengals D played well thanks to our offense....What talent do they have on that D?....They're a joke....I'm sorry this team won't go far in the play-offs with this offense.....Ben isn't the Ben of last year and its up to Moore and Russell at RB.....I have many concerns about this offense....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Bengals defense has stepped up, credit them and not because of our Offense. I know we aren't the best but let's take this in baby steps and be thankful we're moving the ball and our QB isn't getting killed still. Now they could very well go south again next week but who knows, maybe we're turning the corner and maybe not but right now Im encouraged alittle bit by watching them play the last 2 weeks considering where they were last month.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..

Two things...

Besides BAs ****** play calling at times, what's really missing is the fullback. 95% of our running plays tonight with a fullback gained chunks. I don't care who they throw back there.. McHue, Davis, Spaeth, Miller, whoever.. we need one. Those singleback sets when we all know its a run with either Moore or Parker barely break the LOS. Who gives a **** if they know we are running when they see the FB.. they can't stop it. BAs master plan with these bunch formations, more WRs and no FB will not cut it. He's handcuffing this team with his 'master plan.'

As TG said in the other thread.. Ernster is trash. Any other team (besides the Lions) would have capitalized off that gratutious field position. He's got to go, period. Bring Berger back and let him fight the pain.. he still kicked it 40+ yards. If Ernster stays, he will cost us, more than likely in the playoffs, where better teams will take advantage. You can't blame it on the winds at Heinz.. he can't kick from either direction.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    The Offense steps forward and Nate Washington steps back. Again with a early drive killing drop and a "know better" pick play that he got flagged for.
    On an side note...where has Mendenhall been?,,I know he's out for the year but shouldn't he atleast be on the side-lines with the team?..i mean it wouldn't hurt for him to be around the play-calling process and learn atleast something.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    McHugh and Davis seem to split time at FB, neither of them is a Danny Kreider I'll give you that but a Bruce Arians offense is never going to have anything more than what we have. he doesn't use a FB, doesn't feature them at all, and they seem to only show up in short yardage or goal lines. He's never going to allow himself to play "old steeler football" and yes we've struggled with it but it is what it is and unless Tomlin cans Arians at some point we're stuck. I just hate being so damn predictable and in the running game that's what we are all the time.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I will say this though, atleast BA had the genious to use McHugh in more of a FB role tonight than we're used to seeing. It started working better in the 2nd half when we ran the ball better. He's not the best but if we can get BA to atleast do what he did tonight I guess that's a small victory for good ole Steeler football.

The offense is really starting to come together at just the right time! Their remaining schedule is looking really tough with teams that all have winning records with the exception of the Browns. Ben is getting rid of the ball a lot faster, the line is doing a decent job but still nothing spectacular and it doesn't really matter who they put in the backfield because they are going to perform and do what's expected of them.

It was nice seeing someone other than Parker in their on third and short and that fourth and 1 down near the goal line.

Thread Information