Thread: Sepulveda Stays Busy After Injury

Bookmark and Share

Sepulveda Stays Busy After Injury

Link to story...
    BALDWIN (KDKA) ― Steelers punter Daniel Sepulveda has some free time on his hands this season after a season-ending injury.

Sepulveda spent some of his down time working on his new home in Baldwin.

He let KDKA's Alison Morris inside for a little tour.

"It's a work in progress so you're going to have to bear with me a little bit," said Sepulveda.

He bought the home a little over 2 months ago and has been working on it daily since tearing his ACL during training camp.

Right now, he's busy painting.

"These white walls aren't working for me," said Sepulveda.

Paint choices like that one take up a lot of Sepulveda's time lately.

He's been on the Steelers' injured reserve since July and still has to watch how he uses his knee, just 12 weeks after surgery.

These days Sepulveda says it's also important to spend as much time with his teammates as possible even if that just means being around them on the sidelines at home games, so they don't forget about him.

"It's totally different," he said. "It's kind of lonely sometimes. When I don't travel with the guys, it's that t.v. and this chair right here."

The one luxury about not traveling with the team is that he's been able to spend some quality time with his family in Texas.

"My brother just had a baby," he said. "I just became an uncle. He called me on Thursday morning and I bought a flight and was home by Thursday at 5 o'clock and she had the kid, little Ashley, at like 8:30. So, I made it by like 2.5 hours."

The off-time means holidays too with the family.

"I'll go home for Thanksgiving," he said. "Didn't get to do that last year. And I'll go home for Christmas. That is kind of nice."

In the meantime though, the top priority is painting and decorating, with a Texas flair.

Sepulveda even hung up his Texas license plate.

"I just had to put that up there," he said. "A little taste of home."

Sepulveda may have hung on to his license plate, but as soon as he was drafted he dropped his Texas team loyalty and became a big fan of the Penguins and the Pirates.

So, who is his favorite local player?

"Actually, Sid (Crosby)," said Sepulveda. "I met him at a golf tournament -- at Lemieux's golf tournament over the summer so that was pretty neat."

As for his own professional sports aspirations, Sepulveda says he never really planned on playing in the NFL but he does remember the day his dad brought home an NFL banner from work and put it in his room instead of his brother's room.

He thinks it was fate.

"God just blessed my efforts to bring me to this point," said Sepulveda. "It's been a pretty awesome ride. It's been a lot of fun."

A devout Christian, Sepulveda attributes every blessing in his life to God which is why an award from a Christian sports camp is the one he's most proud of.

"It exemplifies what they call the 'I'm third attitude', which means putting God first, others second, yourself third."

That attitude comes through when Sepulveda talks about the timing of his injury.

"I'm just glad that it wasn't later in training camp so that the Steelers had the opportunity to bring two guys in and not throw somebody in the fire the first-- week one or whatever."

But taking it easy while someone else punts for the team hasn't been easy.

Sepulveda has been trying his best to stay active while still being careful.

"I do rehab on Monday, Wednesday and Friday up at the facility," said Sepulveda. "On days that I'm not doing rehab, I'll do some cardio on the bike or whatever and go to practice. It feels great. I've had several checkups with Dr. Bradley, who did a great job. It feels incredible. There's no glide like there used to. It's not loose anymore. It feels awesome."

But it isn't just rehab and housework that keeps him busy.

Sepulveda spends a ton of time playing X-Box and has become quite a pro at Tiger Woods golf and other games.

Sepulveda is also a pretty good cook.

"Spaghetti, different kinds of casseroles things like that," he said. "I can do eggs. Fried eggs, scrambled eggs... eggs different ways. I have a lot of breakfast."

But he's most famous for his pancakes.

Click here for his delicious pancake recipe.
    I got to talk to him at Training Camp and he was a class act! Can't wait for him to be back next season...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can't wait to get DSep back next season. this playing musical punters is enough to drive you nuts.

He was very gracious at training camp though and signed more than anyone else, definitely a very cool guy and a fan favorite.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I hope he comes back better than ever, but I have to be a little leery,this is the second time he tore the ACL on his right leg.

Get well Dan , we need you.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information