Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We lost a game... stop crying!!!

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar
    There are a lot of things to be optomistic about as a Steeler fan.

I haven't re-watched the game yet - but I think Ben had a pocket to throw from pretty often - I think the o-line -especialy the front - are improving. Our tackles struggle, but....

Hines Ward is playing very well again this year. Washington has become much more reliable and explosive.

The defense plays well all the time. In the second half, they had trouble creating pressure with 4 rushing like they did in the first half, but with Woodley out, that was going to be a challenge. That, a HOF QB and some short fields killed us yesterday. Ike Taylor was very good - but very unlucky. William Gay seemed to show up making plays as well. Troy is back and the front line is dominant against the run.

Mewelde Moore has been praised ad-nausium on this site, but he was an awesome pick up.

Our weak link right now is that Ben is pressing and impatient. He is also hurt and looks like he has little power to throw. Once in a while you see him whip one in there (like the throw last week to Ward at the 1) but most of his passes float. Even the last throw to the endzone last night looked like it took everything he had and it was a moon ball. This is a very tough situation for the coaching staff. I think Ben hesitates to make the tough throws like the skinny post. Hines usually catches a bunch of these - the TD against Houston was that pattern (before the injury)- but it takes velocity and confidence from the QB to throw this in the redzone- ours has neither. Other than the bomb to Washington that was called back against the Giants, I can't recall a deep ball from him that hasn't been underthrown.

But have faith - Ben isn't a fluke and didn't forget how to play. He didn't take too much punishment Sunday - maybe we make some progress this week and he can actually practice. He just needs to get healthy and regain some confidence.

Also, don't get too crazy about Baltimore yet. They are winning games they should win, but are still unproven. This is going to come down to our game on 12/14. We will see who they are the next few weeks as they take on NYG, PHI, and WAS.

Waterboy

Replying to the message from ITS MILLER TIME 83

THE STEEL CURTAIN IS BACK, but you are right about the receivers, they should bench Santonio Holmes and play the kid(Limas Sweed). We are very fortunate to be above five hundred with the injuries.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The reason why were upset is because we lost two games we should've of won,the play calling sucks an Ben is hurt, we keep shooting our selves in the footwe should be 8-1we have all the talent we need to make an superbowl run, an it hurts to see us our chances away like we

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Yes, I keep hearing how this team has not reached their potential on the Off side of the ball, and I wonder maybe we have. With BA calling the plays, and a gimpy QB, and a 3rd down back starting at HB, maybe this is the best we can do. Then I would also like to look at our Head Coach. Does this guy know anything about Off? For as long as I can remember the Steelers have been a power run team with a Strong OL, and Fat Backs to carry the load. I look at this team, and think this is not the Steelers that I know, nor is it a team I want too. Yes our Def is lights out, but thats because we still have Dick calling the shots.
    I wonder if Bill would want his job back next year??????

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think anybody here is actually whining as you put it, although maybe some are. The point is this team is underachieving and they show no signs of getting out of the funk. Nobody on this board is ready to call Ben a terrible QB or bench him for the season. We know he's got the talent, he showed it last year and in previous years but the fact is between the play calling, Ben being beat up, not seeing the field like he should, the Tackles not blocking, WR's and Qb not on the same page at crucial times, poor decisions by Ben at crucial times, and the TE's not being used...combined with questionable play calling this offense is not playing at the same level the Defense and ST are and it's killing us. We haven't beaten a team with a winning record at the time we played them yet and until we do we're not capable of anything other than alittle above average mediocrity.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Oh noes!!! Cut Ben! Fire Tomlin! Shoot Arians! (Well ok, I wouldn't mind that one)

Gotta love the panic and overreaction that ensues when the Steelers lose a game.
    The Colts are a good team. They been CRUSHED by injuries this year, but are starting to get healthy. Right now, they are better than their record. And we still outplayed them for most of the game. If Dallas Baker knew how to catch a football, we win that game.
    My only complaint is that we cut Najeh when we knew Parker was out this week. That makes no sense. Moore was getting stuffed by the Colts. Maybe if we had Najeh as an option to go to, he might have been able to get something going on the ground. Other complaint is the brilliant idea to run the same play over and over again on the goal line hoping maybe the Colts will forget where Moore is running to. That play call was a complete joke.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Aggressive
    I think the panic button is being hit because we just lost to a team at home that we should have beat. and we should have beat them good. Sure they are getting players back, but we handed them this game. Well Ben did with his bad reads. Now we have the Charges coming in here, and we have no clue if we can beat them. We just dont know. And the reason we dont know is because Ben is going to continue to play. He is average at best right now, and with our schedule thats not good enough. Since when do the Steelers put one man above the team? Sure he has come through before, but that was then, and today I dont think so. Not hurt anyways.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    I think the panic button is being hit because we just lost to a team at home that we should have beat. and we should have beat them good. Sure they are getting players back, but we handed them this game. Well Ben did with his bad reads. Now we have the Charges coming in here, and we have no clue if we can beat them. We just dont know. And the reason we dont know is because Ben is going to continue to play. He is average at best right now, and with our schedule thats not good enough. Since when do the Steelers put one man above the team? Sure he has come through before, but that was then, and today I dont think so. Not hurt anyways.
    I agree with you Dean and the Chargers are a lot like the Colts coming in here this week. They are a desperate team who has underachieved all year and much like the Colts they have not been very good on the road this year. But the Chargers much like the Colts even though I dont think they are as good as Indy are very capable of coming in here and beating the Steelers. A few weeks ago I wouldnt have thought that, but like you said since Ben is now the ex-factor and we dont know which Ben will show up nothing is a safe bet.

With that being said Ben,Tomlin,and Arians had better step up their game and get their heads out of their asses and they had better figure out a way to win this game this week against the Chargers at home or they are in serious serious trouble. The Steelers cannot afford to lose 3 games in a row at Heinz Field. Bouncing back and winning this week against San Diego I feel is an absolute MUST at this point and time. There will be no excuses for losing this game to the Chargers this week. They cannot run the ball with LT at all now, they have looked horrific on the road all year especially on the East Coast where they never win, and barely got by the horrible Chiefs yesterday. Mike Tomlin should take a ton of heat if the Steelers lose to the Chargers this week at home the same way they have lost the last 2 games at home to the Giants and Colts by giving the games away...
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 11-10-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I don't think anybody here is actually whining as you put it, although maybe some are. The point is this team is underachieving and they show no signs of getting out of the funk. Nobody on this board is ready to call Ben a terrible QB or bench him for the season. We know he's got the talent, he showed it last year and in previous years but the fact is between the play calling, Ben being beat up, not seeing the field like he should, the Tackles not blocking, WR's and Qb not on the same page at crucial times, poor decisions by Ben at crucial times, and the TE's not being used...combined with questionable play calling this offense is not playing at the same level the Defense and ST are and it's killing us. We haven't beaten a team with a winning record at the time we played them yet and until we do we're not capable of anything other than alittle above average mediocrity.
    Man when people say "**** the steelers they're bums" and "polamolu is a joke with a bad haircut" and "ben worthlessburger is **** i hate him i hate him i hate him Bench him" that to me is crying. I agree 100% with you on the fact that we are underachieving. Big Ben's production is defenatley down and we know its because he is banged up from being sacked however many times he has been, but I do know it is the third most in the league. I think the fact is that Ben is going to be playing hurt all season. In my opinion he for the most part is at fault for the loss against the Colts yesterday, he even admitted it. It all comes down to that pick right before the half that led to the Colts TD as well as Moore being stuffed at the goal line on 3rd & goal...which was just ****** play calling. But these mistakes I think can still be corrected before january. I think it comes down to resting Ben for maybe a couple weeks before playoffs (if we clinch) and give leftwich playing time just incase even with the rest Ben still cant perform like a playoff quarterback, Leftwich will be ready to go. and i really hope it doesnt come to that.

But the Steelers right now, are still the best 6-3 team in the NFL in my books, Ben & Willie just need to recharge.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Ben can sit for a month and it wont make his shoulder any better. This is what we get from here on out.
    And good for Ben that he can admit to the Colts lose was on him. Great! He's been talking about playing better for weeks now, and we are all still waiting to see it. To me he's getting worse. 9 int's in 10 Quarters. What the Hell is that? I will not sugarcoat his bad play. Nor will I baby him for playing like this. He's getting the big $$$ now, and needs to show some leadership. He needs to put the team first.and if that means stepping down to let Lefty play to keep their playoff hopes alive, then do it.

Thread Information