Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defense continues to carry this team but they can't do it all

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Defense continues to carry this team but they can't do it all

Once again the defense played well enough to win considering the circumstances they were put in. They held the Colts on multiple occasions but even the best defenses can't overcome all those turnovers deep in their own territory all the time.

They got a couple sacks today but never really got the pressure we needed them to get. The secondary played pretty well today overall which was a good sign even with injuries hitting again and Townsend going down for atleast awhile.

One has to wonder how much more they can withstand when the offense doesn't help.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The defense played pretty good today but a great D would at least get one stop after a turnover. This defense just doesn't do that for some reason. I don't expect them to make every stop but geez, once in a while would be nice.

our D rocks true but they seem to be on the field alot today thanks to the O

It might start to cause some resentment... the D is doing their part, giving the O great field position and holding the opponents on costly turnovers, for the most part! If the D continues to do this and the offense continues to sputter it's going to cause a separation on the team between the O and D and it's not something the coaching staff wants to have on their hands.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Even the ST is doing their part, atleast the coverage units are not allowing big returns and generally atleast setting up the offense between the 25-30. Honestly it pains me to see a unit that is this good and is able to play so well as a unit just continually get let down by the offense.

One thing that did concern me with the gameplan was the lack of blitzing. You can't beat manning by just sitting back and playing coverage. You have to get in his face and pressure him. Fortunately our Dbacks played fairly well today considering all the downfield passes Manning did. I thought we'd follow the playbook from the playoff game 3 years ago and blitz constantly but we didnt.

My Mood
    afc-hater
    i think our dee played great today, and they give us chances to win the game time after time, i think what lost the game for the steelers was when moore couldnt pound it in the endzone, that guy was DOUBLE TEAMED and he still managed to stuff moore. Our o-line ****ed us and ben's interceptions

i am more concerned that the ravens are also 6-3 and next time we play them is in baltimore and the steelers rarley win there.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    The defense played pretty good today but a great D would at least get one stop after a turnover. This defense just doesn't do that for some reason. I don't expect them to make every stop but geez, once in a while would be nice.
    Ok this is a great defense....Honestly I don't know how you can think other wise......Peyton Manning is a Hall of Fame QB and the defense held him in check for the most part......Ike Taylor just needs to learn how to catch the ball....lol

As for stopping the Colts offense with a short field....You can't give one of the all time best QBs a short field....Sorry its all on Ben.....

Thank God for the defense if not for them this team wouldn't even be in the play-off hunt.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ok this is a great defense....Honestly I don't know how you can think other wise......Peyton Manning is a Hall of Fame QB and the defense held him in check for the most part......Ike Taylor just needs to learn how to catch the ball....lol

As for stopping the Colts offense with a short field....You can't give one of the all time best QBs a short field....Sorry its all on Ben.....

Thank God for the defense if not for them this team wouldn't even be in the play-off hunt.....
    How do you know it is not all on Holmes?

The D has done a great job this year and I'm not knocking on them. Just saying it would be nice if they could actually stop a team from scoring after a TO. If you find the stat for that let me know cause it sure seems like the after a TO this D almost always lets the other team score.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    How do you know it is not all on Holmes?

The D has done a great job this year and I'm not knocking on them. Just saying it would be nice if they could actually stop a team from scoring after a TO. If you find the stat for that let me know cause it sure seems like the after a TO this D almost always lets the other team score.
    Against the Skins SF........The Steelers surprised onside and Ben had a tipped INT....Both gave the Skins a short field and the Steelers defense held the Skins to field goals...Yea the Skins still scored but the D did hold them to field goals and they were on the road....That is a great defense to me......

You can't give a great QB like Manning a short field to work with.....I understand your point and its a good point but its Peyton Manning....lol Hard to knock the boys when they played well enough to win the game today....

The first INT wasn't on Holmes....Sorry I can't agree with that one....You could have a case on the second one but it looked like Ben was way off target to me......I have to see a replay of it......

Ben is playing like a bum and he has for three straight games in a row.....100 million well spent so far...lol

My Mood
    Addicted
    On both those INT's it looked like Holmes went outside on the 1st one and started to stop on 2nd one while Ben was looking for him to go inside on both. Since I don't know the play called and what each was suppose to do I'm not going to blame just one of them. I blame both of them for not having their **** together.

Thread Information