Thread: Fassel out as OC of the ratbirds

Bookmark and Share
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

Fassel out as OC of the ratbirds

BALTIMORE -- Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick has fired offensive coordinator Jim Fassel and will take over the play-calling for the Ravens offense.

Billick said it was difficult for him to let Fassel go, saying he has been "a valuable and loyal coach to me." However, he added, "clearly, in order for us to expand on our 4-2 start we have to have more offensive productivity."

"There was no single incident, no single episode, nothing specific that brought about this change," Billick said. "Something dramatic needed to be done."

But he would not go into what finally sparked the decision.

"It serves no purpose to go back and revist any particular reason why this has been brought about so I'm not gonna do it," Billick said.

Fassel was in his second year as the Ravens' offensive coordinator after serving a season with the team as a senior consultant to the offense.

He previously served as head coach of the New York Giants from 1997 to 2003, guiding the Giants to two NFC East titles, a conference championship, an appearance in the Super Bowl and a wild-card playoff berth.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Like Billick is going to get anymore out of this offense. Didn't he already try this once before?

House of Steel
    Mr. Pudding Lover is making a big mistake.

Fired?NFL Network reported that he resigned.Don't know why he was let go mid-season,you can't realyl put all the blame on the coaches,the players really have to step up.McNair hasn't played as good as he can and they have no running game with Jamal Lewis.He runs like he's scared or like he's just going through the motions.This won't really change anything in my opinion unless that offense picks up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Like Billick is going to get anymore out of this offense. Didn't he already try this once before?
    He tried it at one point but it's definitely not his thing... I doubt there is much he can do though because any decent QB that plays for the Ravens becomes crap! So, if his play calling doesn't work out is he going to fire himself next?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure he was told to leave and just to step down or else be fired. The reason he was brought in was to help Boller and do a better job play calling to the strength of the QB. Well that worked out well didnt it !!

I've read reports where it says Fassel resigned then I've read reports where he was fired

The sad thing though is Boller numbers where quite good against a tough Panthers D, but since the Ravens picked up McNair they are going to stick with him... that's probably problem #1! Boller ended last year on a hot streak, but they handed the job to McNair. He gets injured Boller comes in and almost wins the game. Reports now are that McNair probably won't miss any games

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They won't give up on McNair unless they lose atleast a few more games in a row. Boller has been hot and cold his whole career in the league. He's on fire for a few weeks, then he cools down and reverts back to what we saw most of last year and the year before.

The bye week came at a good time for them but McNair has set himself up for more problems this year. It's not the first time he's had a concussion so we'll see.

I'm sure they wanted him gone and made that clear but let him resign. I remember not that long ago when Brian Billick was considered an offensive genius, but today? Eh, not so much...

Thread Information