Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

OL rediscovers their swagger

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_475363.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Alan Faneca is used to it by now, the emotions of a Steelers-crazed area going up and down like a yo-yo, last rites on the team getting administered or championship status being granted by radio-listening folks driving home from work.
    But even the veteran offensive lineman couldn't help but smile when thinking how much had changed in one day. Or, more accurately, how much perception had changed following the Steelers' 45-7 win Sunday over the Kansas City Chiefs.

That victory, coupled with losses by AFC North rivals Baltimore and Cincinnati, left the Steelers just one game behind the Ravens and Bengals in the loss column.

"One week, we're done. We might as well start packing our bags and heading home," said Faneca, the All-Pro guard who is in his ninth season with the Steelers. "The next week, all of the sudden, we're in the mix of it again."

What may have gotten a little lost in the euphoria that followed the Steelers' first win in more than a month is how an offensive line that had been maligned dominated the Chiefs.

The Steelers (2-3) piled up 219 yards rushing, while quarterback Ben Roethlisberger completed all but three of his 19 pass attempts for 238 yards and two touchdowns and only was sacked once.

"I thought our line did a heck of a job," said Steelers coach Bill Cowher, whose team visits the Atlanta Falcons at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Running back Willie Parker found enough room to rush for 109 yards and two touchdowns before giving way to Najeh Davenport, who added 78 yards and a touchdown on the ground.

"That's the Pittsburgh Steelers I watched in the past," Davenport said.

Indeed, a robust running attack has become as associated with the Steelers as the "Terrible Towel," and the ground game hinges on the effectiveness of players such as Faneca.

The only time it seemed like the Steelers weren't pushing the Chiefs around Heinz Field came early in the fourth quarter, when three running plays netted a yard.

With the Steelers facing fourth down from the Chiefs 1-yard line, Cowher opted to go for it. Davenport scored, though it took instant replay to reverse a call on the field that he had been stopped short of the end zone.
    These guys needed a game like this, a total domination game in every facet. We've to pro bowlers on our OL and alot of overall talent. We're one of the best when we play up to our potential like we did on sunday.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The o-line played really well but they have been decent most of the year. I was really happy to see everything come together for once this year. The D played well, Ben was the great, WR's caught the ball and got open.....etc.
    The only thing I didn't like about this game was the fumbles again.

Today at work, that is everyone was talking about was the Steelers o-line! It finally felt good to hear all the positive chatter surrounding the Steelers especially the line. Now if the boys can keep the momentum going all will be good.

Here is a question though... Do the Steelers stick with Chris K. or do they give the job back to Simmons? IMO, you gotta stick with what worked and don't mess it up, but like I always say... that's why I'm sitting behind the computer screen and not calling the shots on the field

My Mood
    Addicted
    I always say stick with what is working until you have a reason not to.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    BC will give the job back to Simmons, you can bet on that. He doesnt change up the OL very often; unless its because of an injury. Smith, Faneca, Hartings, Simmons, & Starks have been playing together for the last 2 years and the left side of the line for the last 4 or 5 years so he's not anxious to break them up anytime soon unless he starts to see a weak link or an injury happens.

House of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Today at work, that is everyone was talking about was the Steelers o-line! It finally felt good to hear all the positive chatter surrounding the Steelers especially the line. Now if the boys can keep the momentum going all will be good.

Here is a question though... Do the Steelers stick with Chris K. or do they give the job back to Simmons? IMO, you gotta stick with what worked and don't mess it up, but like I always say... that's why I'm sitting behind the computer screen and not calling the shots on the field
    That sounds great, AZ. If I was the head coach, I would keep Chris K. in there til he falters, but at the rate he was playing, he was being a beast and then some. He was outstanding. You know Bill C will put Simmons back in there cause he is a veteran and like someone pointed out, that whole line been together playing for the last two seasons. I wish your point would work.

Thread Information