Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Turmoil unites Big Ben, former coach

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_475378.html

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Terry Hoeppner knew Ben Roethlisberger would be back. You can't keep a good quarterback down. Not a quarterback with so much confidence and talent.
    Roethlisberger shared that feeling of satisfaction with Hoeppner, his former college coach, after the Steelers' 45-7 trouncing of Kansas City on Sunday at Heinz Field.

Roethlisberger put his stamp on the Steelers for the first time in 2006 with a breakout performance. He completed 16-of-19 passes and tossed two touchdowns, and again established himself as the on-field face of the franchise.

Even Roethlisberger's biggest critics and the Steelers' most persistent skeptics would have to admit something special happened in a game the Steelers needed to win.

It was a win over a mediocre-at-best Kansas City team, but for the first time in a long time, the Roethlisberger-led Steelers were in perfect offensive harmony.

Not to say I told you so, but Hoeppner, the Indiana University coach who helped Roethlisberger become a first-round NFL draft pick at Miami (Ohio), has seen Roethlisberger come through so many times there was every reason to believe he'd do it again.

"I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't come back and have a great year," Hoeppner said yesterday. "He's confident in his abilities. The arm's great. He's back."

Roethlisberger plays for the Steelers. He takes his directions from coach Bill Cowher and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt. But he knew Hoeppner before he was a Steeler, and Hoeppner repesents a special time in Roethlisberger's life.

When Roethlisberger needs someone to talk to during the season, he often turns to Hoeppner for guidance. When Roethlisberger failed to record a touchdown pass in his first three starts, coinciding with the Steelers' three-game losing skid, Hoeppner reminded him that quarterbacks and head coaches receive too much credit, and too much blame.
    We've always said Ben is the eternal optimist. He never gave up the ship and always shouldered the blame. It's good to know he's got people he can talk to though to help him through the rough spots of being an NFL QB.

House of Steel
    That is a cool article!!

hopefully ben will be able to continuing playing good in atlanta this week. yet another big game for the team.

Don't know why he didn't call me, I know he has me on speed dial

We all know Ben is good and that it was a matter of time before he broke out of his slump... needless to say he did it in a big way as well! Let's just his continued success continues from here on out this season!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Don't know why he didn't call me, I know he has me on speed dial
    He called me last night, I gave him some good pointers and told him to keep his chin up and just relax. I gave him your cell and told him to give you a shout real soon.

The guy in the office next to mine is convinced that it was the appendectomy and not anything mental. I guess he had the same surgery and he was not himself for awhile and then, BOOM, he was 100% again.

I thought it was mental, but I like his hypothesis better. That means that Ben should be back to normal for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    The guy in the office next to mine is convinced that it was the appendectomy and not anything mental. I guess he had the same surgery and he was not himself for awhile and then, BOOM, he was 100% again.

I thought it was mental, but I like his hypothesis better. That means that Ben should be back to normal for the rest of the season.
    I hope that guy is right. I really do believe we have our Ben back though.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

House of Steel
    I got Brad Gradkowski, Chester Taylor, and Chad Pennington on speed dial too. LOL How come Ben didn't put me on his speed dial? Damn.

Thread Information