Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holmes cost Steelers dearly in loss to Giants

Bookmark and Share

Holmes cost Steelers dearly in loss to Giants

Normally I think what these guys have to say is almost true or at least agree with it some what. This article though... did the dude not watch the game and see Washington blowing by receivers but having to come back to the ball because it was under thrown? Did he not see Washington catching two deep bombs for touchdowns only to have one called back because of holding? If Holmes is in this game the outcome is still the same IMO.

Link to story...
    To no one's surprise, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not invite guests for his meeting with wide receiver Santonio Holmes yesterday. So we are left to speculate: The sit-down did not go well for Holmes. Tomlin did almost all of the talking. Holmes quickly learned how stupid and selfish he was for being charged Thursday for possession of a small amount of marijuana. He found out how much he let his teammates down by not being available for the 21-14 loss Sunday to the New York Giants after being deactivated for the game by an angry Tomlin. And he probably left the room significantly poorer after being fined by Tomlin for idiocy, if no other reason.

Really, how could that man to man have gone any other way?

There was another meeting at the Steelers' South Side headquarters a little later in the day, a team meeting. Again, Tomlin didn't allow visitors. Again, we are forced to speculate:

"All right, men, before we get started, Santonio has something he wants to say to all of you ..."

"I'd just like to say I'm sorry for not being there for you guys yesterday. You all played your guts out and I wasn't there to help. You depend on me to be a big part of this football team. I blew it. That loss is on me. It won't happen again."

Really, how could that meeting have gone any other way?

It would have been nice if Holmes had chosen to apologize publicly. You know, in person. People love apologies and are quick to forgive because they know how easy it is to make a mistake, even a dumb one. But Holmes and the Steelers took the easy way out, issuing a lame statement that was supposed to serve as his apology. The words -- if they were indeed Holmes' and not those of some staffer in the public relations office -- don't have the same impact on paper that they do coming from a man's heart. It's just too hard to measure sincerity on paper.

But it's no wonder that Holmes and the Steelers want this issue to go away as quickly as possible. This easily was the low point of their season because the incident was so unnecessary. It's not so much that Holmes' offense was so dastardly. Getting caught with three marijuana-filled cigars isn't the worst crime known to mankind, although having the blunts in your SUV is off the dumb charts when you know you can be stopped by police at any time for any reason from a faulty tail light to speeding or running a red light to, in Holmes' case, an investigatory stop of vehicles similar to his that allegedly were involved in the transportation of narcotics.

"Just his bad luck," a Pittsburgh police commander said of Holmes' arrest.

Just his stupidity, actually.

What's sad is the hurtful impact the incident had on the Steelers. It crushed their chances of beating the Giants. It's hard for any team to beat the defending Super Bowl champs without one of its best players. I'm not sure Holmes' absence wasn't the No. 1 reason the Steelers lost.

People were quick to blame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, which is fine. He's paid big money to take responsibility for the losses and he did not have one of his better games, throwing four interceptions. They also blamed the offensive line, which isn't so fine. Those guys played a decent game, certainly good enough to win. Most of the five sacks of Roethlisberger weren't their fault. The sacks happened because the receivers weren't getting open.

Holmes would have made a huge difference.

How could one of the NFL's top deep-threat, big-play receivers not make a difference?

Holmes should have sought out Roethlisberger and each of the offensive linemen yesterday to apologize individually.

It's nice to think the Steelers will have Holmes for their game Monday night at Washington. Tomlin wasn't available for comment yesterday, what with all of his meetings, but the guess here is he's satisfied that Holmes has paid his debt to the team. But the NFL? That might be a different story. The league didn't comment about Holmes' situation yesterday, but it seems possible he still could get a suspension for violating its drug policy or code of conduct.

"I recognize that I made a mistake and understand the significance of my actions," read the statement attributed to Holmes.

That's a good thing, I'm thinking.

Maybe it really won't happen again.

"[I] will not make any excuses for my behavior," Holmes allegedly wrote.

That's a better thing.

I would agree he didnt help us win but he didnt loose it for us either..I feel the oline is to blame for that loss.. B.A. helped the g-men out some to Id have to say...

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    One more screw up and Holmes is off this team ..... bet it.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    One more screw up and Holmes is off this team ..... bet it.
    not a chance, hes our best WR and that doesnt happen.

besides, the team didnt have to deactivate him, they chose to...he wasnt suspended or anything

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    not a chance, hes our best WR and that doesnt happen.

besides, the team didnt have to deactivate him, they chose to...he wasnt suspended or anything
    Rooney doesn't play Mike Brown and "coddle" criminal minds .....

Mark my words, Holmes will be off this team if Holmes stones himself retarded again.

We'll get decent trade value so I'm not worried a bit .....

Rookie Free Agent Richmond Rukus's Avatar
    I can't say it would of changed the outcome of the game, but IMO, it absolutely would of made a difference. Yeah, Nate was able to get open on a few occasions, and had a decent game, but how many times did we see Ben stand back there, with time, unable to find an open receiver to throw too. I have a hard time believing throwing Holmes into the mix doesn't help our receivers. Ward probably gets a huge benefit from Holmes presence on the field, as does Washington. Why Miller wasn't used more still baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    Rooney doesn't play Mike Brown and "coddle" criminal minds .....

Mark my words, Holmes will be off this team if Holmes stones himself retarded again.

We'll get decent trade value so I'm not worried a bit .....
    no your wrong, this isnt cedric wilson its completely different when its a star play...see james harrison

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    no your wrong, this isnt cedric wilson its completely different when its a star play...see james harrison
    Getting rid of Holmes would be retarded and I agree with you Train.....Now if Holmes starts banging Tomlin's wife then there could be a problem and Holmes getting the boot....lol

Ced Wilson got cut because he was expendible. James Harrison has 1 run in with with the law as a result of a domestic fight with his g/f. The charges were eventually dropped.

Holmes on the other hand is no stranger to run ins with the law. Since he came into the league in 2006 he's got disorderly conduct, domestic assult, and now the queen mother in Rooney's book ..... drugs.

Rooney won't overlook drug charges .... nor will he allow it to happen again without swift and severe consequences. If you don't think so .... you don't know the Rooney's very well.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The charges against Holmes since he's been here have all been dropped if I remember correctly. The rooney's know he's a star player and our future so they will cut him some slack as they have been. Cedric didn't produce on the field and was a complainer in the locker room and the media. All of that made him expendable. Hines and Santonio are good friends and he's come a long way in this league. The team needs him, as long as continues to produce and doesn't become a major distraction he'll remain a Steeler.

He would have absolutely made a difference on Sunday; maybe we still wouldn't have won but Ben would have had a lot more options in the passing game. 2 of the sacks were coverage sacks and maybe he's able to find Holmes or Ward if they are both in there. The INT at the end of the game doesn't matter much and the one to Nate popped out of his hands so that's too that maybe wouldn't have happened if Holmes was in there. he's a difference maker regardless of his stats.

Thread Information