Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates trade Casey

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

Pirates trade Casey

This sure didn't surprise me. They get a decent player and then just trade them away for prospects. Let the rebuilding continue!

DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers acquired first baseman Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday in exchange for minor-league pitcher Brian Rogers.
    Casey, a career .304 hitter, gives the AL Central-leading Tigers the left-handed-hitting presence they have lacked as they head toward a playoff berth.
    To make room for Casey, Detroit optioned the contract of first baseman Chris Shelton to Triple-A Toledo. Shelton is hitting .277 with 16 home runs and 45 RBI.
    The 32-year-old Casey is a three-time NL All-Star selection and was hitting .296 with three home runs and 29 RBI in 59 games this season.
    Casey, who also has played for Cincinnati and Cleveland, is considered an above-average fielder. He has not committed an error in 491 total chances at first base this season and has posted a .995 fielding percentage at first base during his career.
    Rogers was 3-2 with a 2.39 ERA in 37 appearances at Double-A Erie this season.
    AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9579458

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    That sucks.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Darn it. Trading for trash is what Littlefield is doing.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Not suprising except it was supposed to be a huge homecoming this season and everything went to hell. I hear we'll also be trading Oliver Perez for some outfielder from the Mets.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

Here are the moves for today

Mets get
    Oliver Perez
    Roberto Hernandez

Pirates get
    Xavier Nady

Yanks get
    Craig Wilson

Pirates get
    Shawn Chacon

Rangers get
    Kip Wells

Pirates get
    Jesse Chavez (Minor Leaguer)

Detroit gets
    Sean Casey

Pirates get
    Brian Rogers (Minor Leaguer)
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    My Trade Grades for the Pirates
    Casey:F Rogers If I'm not mistaken has had an awful year at Double A Erie and is very shakey
    Wilson:A The Pirates were in no interest to keep Craig. If Chacon carries a not too expensive price, He'll be in a pirate uniform sometime down the line
    Wells:A Kip wasn't having a good year at all. He needs a fresh start else where
    Perez And Hernandez: A+ This was an absolute steal from the Mets. Perez has had a lot of trouble winning games this year. But however Hernandez may not be as much of a help. Nady though will help their lineup greatly.

Stuck in damned cincinnati ..Raised in western pa
    I hated to see him leave the Reds

My opinion of the trades is C- at best.

Wells, Wilson, and Hernandez were gone at the end of the season anyway so thats pretty much a wash. Casey would of probably wanted to stay but would of wanted to much for an over the hill 1B. Then comes the Perez deal, lets put it this way the guy led the league a couple years ago in K/IP ratio. His upside is far greater than Nady who while decent has a worse slugging pct. than Wilson. At Perez's age its pretty early to give up on that kind of talent, if you are going to give up on him then they should of traded him before the season while his value was still higher.
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Yeah, I figured Wells, Hernandez, Casey, and Wilson would be traded (don't know why they don't like Wilson, he hits into less dps than anyone else on the team, he's capable of hitting 30 hrs, and the Pirates' chances of winning go up when he bats), but I was shocked by the Perez trade. Didn't the Mets want Perez when we traded Benson? I think we wanted David Wright, but they wouldn't give him to us unless we gave them Perez. So what do we do? We keep Perez, get Wigginton for Benson, let Wigginton go, then give them Perez AFTER they realize how great Wright is. I'm really shocked at that trade, because I thought for sure, if they didn't give up on Vogelsong for so long, they wouldn't give up on Perez after 2 1/2 years. I mean, Perez showed signs of his brilliance, he just wasn't consistent. As Tracy said, "he'll give you 1 great start, and then 2 bad ones. 1 spectacular one, and then 3 bad ones." That's not the sign of a guy you give up on, that's the sign of a talented young pitcher that just needs to find some consistency. The Mets will have a hell of a pitcher in a few years, and the Pirates can add Perez (and probably Wells) to the list with Schmit, Arroyo, Benson, etc.

My question is, what will the Posse de Perez do now???

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    To me you guys can not be that upset with Casey leaving the guy is getting up there in age doesnt have much in the tank. He is going some where to have an opprotunity to win it all. I am an Indians fan and I was sad to see him go when he left us but the guy is a true household name and an excellent human he deserves a chance. Lets face it he was not taking you to the promis land.

To me loosing Oliver Perez was a big mistake that guy will be dominate before his career is over.

Thread Information