Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sweed shows patience despite lack of time

Bookmark and Share
    Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Sweed shows patience despite lack of time

Limas Sweed's biggest problem has been holding on to the football.

Limas Sweed was among those who had high expectations when the Steelers drafted him in the second round -- a big and fast receiver who conceivably could be the team's No. 3 receiver and a big-play threat to pair with Santonio Holmes.

But, not only was Sweed unable to beat out Nate Washington for the third receiving spot, he hasn't been able to move past Dallas Baker as the No. 4 receiver.
    That has produced one of the most popular questions in town -- what's wrong with Sweed?

"Just tell 'em patience is a virtue," said Sweed, who was drafted out of Texas. "I'm playing behind some guys on fire right now. It's their time right now and I'm the younger guy. My time is coming."

It doesn't appear, though, that it will be anytime soon.

Sweed finally got to dress for his first NFL game in Jacksonville, Fla., but that was only because the Steelers had so many injured players who were deactivated. He never appeared in the game, not even on special teams.

He likely will go back to being deactivated when the Steelers resume their season Sunday in Cincinnati.
    "I wouldn't say I'm impatient, but I want to play, I definitely want to play," Sweed said. "I love the game of football. I want to get out there and play, but I understand the situation. So I can't get mad. I just accept it. It makes me work harder and keep sharpening my sword for my opportunity.

"I understand things. This is the professional level. Some things may take a little time. Due to different situations, you might have to sit back and wait your turn."
    Sweed and running back Rashard Mendenhall, the team's No. 1 pick, were expected to be part-time contributors this season. Mendenhall, though, is out for the season with a fractured scapula and Sweed is not likely to play unless there is an injury.

His biggest problem: Holding on to the ball and getting comfortable with his routes.
    "Working hard is not an issue," Sweed said. "It's like Santonio told me -- he came in and had to work hard and when he got the opportunity, he stepped in and never looked back. I listen to what guys like Santonio tells me, what Hines [Ward] tells me, to keep working, keep working and, when you get the opportunity, you step in and take it. When the opportunity comes, I'll seize it."

I like his attitude and think he will be a great addition to the WR core once he breaks into his own
    Last edited by NOVA STEELERS; 10-14-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Cant we get him some help holding onto the ball? We have spent alot of $$$ on this guy, and he needs to be on the field. We already lost our 1st round pick for the year, and having our #2 guy sitting out seems retarded to me.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Cant we get him some help holding onto the ball? We have spent alot of $$$ on this guy, and he needs to be on the field. We already lost our 1st round pick for the year, and having our #2 guy sitting out seems retarded to me.
    He will be the 4th wide receiver on Sunday Dean in Cincinnati since Dallas Baker will be out with a shoulder injury. This could be a huge opportunity for Limas Sweed to make the most of this situation and make some plays if his number is called upon at some point during this game. In my opinion, this is a good game for the Steelers to get a guy like Limas Sweed involved in the passing game some or take a couple shots down the field with him. Hopefully Sweed will take advantage of the chance to finally dress and play and make the most of it. If he does then you will definitely see him start to dress every single week even when Dallas Baker gets healthy.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sweed was active vs Jax but didn't play. If Arians lets Ben use the offense the way it's supposed to then that might incorporate some 4 WR sets in which case Sweed will definitely see the field. I hate to see our top 2 draft picks not contributing but with Mendenhall out we're screwed there. WR's take time to develop but you only get that with experience. I don't want to see him in the game just for the sake of being there if he really is having that much of a problem holding onto the ball but at the same time you have to get experience somehow.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    He will be the 4th wide receiver on Sunday Dean in Cincinnati since Dallas Baker will be out with a shoulder injury. This could be a huge opportunity for Limas Sweed to make the most of this situation and make some plays if his number is called upon at some pointduring this game. In my opinion, this is a good game for the Steelers to get a guy like Limas Sweed involved in the passing game some or take a couple shots down the field with him. Hopefully Sweed will take advantage of the chance to finally dress and play and make the most of it. If he does then you will definitely see him start to dress every single week even when Dallas Baker gets healthy.
    This is his chance to shine, and he better take advantage of this opportunity

Kind of a funny story now, as Sweed gets to dress and possibly play this Sunday.

One thing everyone forgets about Sweed. He had eyesight problems that not even he knew about. He got glasses and contacts to correct that.

Now, I just got glasses for the first time a few weeks ago. I am STILL have some problems with depth perception as my mind is learning to allow the glasses to make the adjustments to what I am seeing. Before that, it was always my mind making the adjustments.

If I had a ball thrown to me... I would have misjudged it numerous times myself.

So I say give it some time. Not only did he have that problem, but he IS a rookie with the typical rookie jitters, rookie mistakes, and rookie immaturity when it comes to NFL football smarts.

yeah that is true he was playing in the preseason not long after he had gotten glasses it does take a wile to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Kind of a funny story now, as Sweed gets to dress and possibly play this Sunday.

One thing everyone forgets about Sweed. He had eyesight problems that not even he knew about. He got glasses and contacts to correct that.

Now, I just got glasses for the first time a few weeks ago. I am STILL have some problems with depth perception as my mind is learning to allow the glasses to make the adjustments to what I am seeing. Before that, it was always my mind making the adjustments.

If I had a ball thrown to me... I would have misjudged it numerous times myself.

So I say give it some time. Not only did he have that problem, but he IS a rookie with the typical rookie jitters, rookie mistakes, and rookie immaturity when it comes to NFL football smarts.
    glasses take time to adjust but contacts are just about instant., im sure that has nothign to do with it, he was a very raw talent out of school...he was a man among boys and didnt have to fine tune himself to dominate

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    glasses take time to adjust but contacts are just about instant., im sure that has nothign to do with it, he was a very raw talent out of school...he was a man among boys and didnt have to fine tune himself to dominate

Obviously since I have never had contacts I can't say yes or no to that. However, I don't think that contacts for the first time ever would really be instant, because you still have the same issue of the brain making adjustments for the eyes when it no longer has too.

On top of that is the fact that you're right, he was a raw talent and now is being pushed to refine it, playing with a much higher level of talent around him and a higher level of talent throwing the ball to him.

All of that is to say.... if we give him time, by the time we need him he may be a dang good receiver for us.

After all, it really took about a year, year and a half for Santonio to become a real asset to this team.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sweed is just going to take some time, he's well worth the 2nd round pick we paid for him and he's going to be top notch WR in this league if he commits himself to his craft which we all fully expect him to do. The good news is we have 2 great WR's, and Nate who is coming along.

I'd like to see Sweed start to get some playing time though so he can gain the valuable experience he needs to progress.

Thread Information