Thread: Steeler Nation: The passion of Greg Lloyd

Hybrid View

Steeler Nation: The passion of Greg Lloyd

Link to story...
    By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted Oct 9, 2008

Former Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd granted Jim Wexell a 90-minute interview for the new book "Steeler Nation: A Pittsburgh Team, An American Phenomenon." The passionate interview touched all bases. Here, Lloyd talks about the events leading up to an alleged altercation with his son, which resulted in charges being brought against Lloyd.

MOVING FROM athlete to athlete was not the plan when I first contemplated this book. I envisioned sitting in fan bars and talking to displaced steelworkers and, really, bouncing funny thoughts off the reader, personal thoughts, intimate thoughts, as I careened around the country without a plan. The vacation hotspots off the Carolina coast certainly held the promise of not only Steelers Nation, but my own mini-vacation. A friend in the business, a retired scout of 35 years, told me I had a place at his table in Wilmington, N.C. The stories would’ve entertained me – us – for days. But I have this thirst for news. It comes from spending 25 years in the business as a reporter.

So instead of sunning on a beach deck with a retired scout who’s giving me more legend than fact, and me not caring about the difference, I’m staring into the eyes of Greg Lloyd somewhere in the suburban sprawl of Atlanta on a hot September afternoon as he’s talking non-stop about the importance of discipline. All I could think about was finding the right time to ask him about his son, so I just blurted it out. Lloyd expected the question and didn’t blink.

“I don’t blame my son for what has taken place,” he started. “I think everybody around me and everybody over there realizes it was a lie. And a lot of it just never really got out, what really took place.”

Lloyd recounted his son’s girlfriend’s testimony, the testimony at the second trial which cast doubt over the rest of the case.

Rest of story...

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    I loved Lloyd as much as the next Steelers fan, he'll definatly go down as one of my favorite players EVER ..... but let's be honest, Lloyd was a mental case when he played which came out in .... how he played.

No question he held an unloaded gun up to his son's head which just ain't right no matter how you spin it.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

I loved greg! he was a monster! I was so stoked the other day! I bought an autographed football signed by him! and it was worth the money! lol! got to love ebay!
    HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO!! HERE WE GO STEELERS!! HERE WE GO!! PITTSBURGH'S GOIN TO THE SUPERBOWL!! We're gonna be the first to 6!!!

I met Greg on several occassions. He will always be my favorite Steeler.
    As far as his personal life goes I've heard different stories from both sides and I'm still torn over what to believe. I say this because I also had a very spiteful, angy, bitter x-wife who did and said lots of things to my children to get at me. I know from experience just how ugly an x can get. When I hear Greg talk about the things his wife did and said or had the kids do or say I can believe it because I walked that road. On the other hand, I also know the fury that was inside that man, I know the fury I delt with, so like I said, I'm torn over what to believe.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lloyd is one of my all time favorite Steelers..hands down he was the epitomy of everything you wanted in a Steeler player on the field and our defense was a better unit because of him. The things in his personal life are not something you'd be happy about but it is what it is; the guy is a Steeler legend and he always will be. I will definitely check out this book!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Lloyd is one of my all time favorite Steelers..hands down he was the epitomy of everything you wanted in a Steeler player on the field and our defense was a better unit because of him. The things in his personal life are not something you'd be happy about but it is what it is; the guy is a Steeler legend and he always will be. I will definitely check out this book!
    it is what it is..... Do you really feel that way?
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well yeah, his personal life is what it is. He's made some mistakes obviously and done things he's not proud of. No self respecting person could sit there and say they are happy about some of the things that have happened in their life if they were in Greg's shoes but he's moving on and hopefully at some point he can have a regular life and his family can all be civil. Nobody is condoning what he did, certainly not me either, but I chose to remember him as a Steeler on the field and for that he's a legend IMO.

Thread Information