Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers after the bye

Bookmark and Share

Steelers after the bye

I think that Mike has done a good job of stocking our team with players that can step it up if need be. He seems to have kept the film on us short ,and i commend him for that. Teams only got a quick glance at Mewelde ,and what he can bring to the table. He had lineman on both sides of the ball that stepped forward. Now after the bye we will be a lot more healthy,and we start off with the bungles. How do they prepare for us? The meat of our schedule is coming up too.If we can get by the bungles without showing too much either,i hate to tell ya,but the play book might just come open.Looking for thoughts on this Steeler Nation.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Gettysburgh_Steel View Post
    I think that Mike has done a good job of stocking our team with players that can step it up if need be. He seems to have kept the film on us short ,and i commend him for that. Teams only got a quick glance at Mewelde ,and what he can bring to the table. He had lineman on both sides of the ball that stepped forward. Now after the bye we will be a lot more healthy,and we start off with the bungles. How do they prepare for us? The meat of our schedule is coming up too.If we can get by the bungles without showing too much either,i hate to tell ya,but the play book might just come open.Looking for thoughts on this Steeler Nation.
    Mewelde Moore was a good player before signing with the Steelers.....Teams have had film on him the last few years and knew what he can do as a player....In 2005 with the Vikings Moore had over 1000 yards with his combined rushing and receiving yards...That is why me and some others on this site were happy when he was signed...But Mike Tomlin didn't hide Moore from any team in the NFL...lol He was a proven already.....Now the signing of Moore should be praised....

As for the play book to be opened up....We're using the same play book as last year when Bruce Arians revamped the whole offense and play book.....So I doubt there is anything new or anything that will surprise teams....

As for Dick LeBeau....He has been a coach in the NFL for a long time and invented the zone blitz so I'm sure teams have seen what Coach LeBeau will throw at them...Sure Coach LeBeau is a defensive genius and always adds a wrinkle here in there when he gets young talented player like Woodley and Timmons....But there won't whole lot of new stuff from the D either...

Bottom what it comes down to after the bye is the players execution and preparation the by coaches to put the players in the best position to execute....Which I question at times by Coach Tomlin and Bruce Arians (especially on the road).......Now the win in Jacksonville was a step in the right derection.....I think that was Coach Tomlin's most impressive win as a HC so far in his young career.....But I'm far from convinced....

Plus healthy will always play a factor...So I'm knocking on wood, praying to the football gods, rubbing my lucky Steelers charm that no more serious injuries take place to this team.....

Coach Tomlin has done nothing in the draft (or stocking players) that impresses me. His use of rookies to this point is pathetic. Coach Tomlin relies on his cordinators to make the calls. He didn't make the O move Ben did. Dick L. does the D. So far Coach Tomlin is nothing more that a good spokesman.

I ask for the thoughts from the Steeler Nation. I'm bracing myself for some of the responses.Keep it up keepers of the Steel. What kind of footage do other teams have on us, for the second segment of the season now.After the bye what are they gonna prepare for? Run? Pass? Screens we haven't seen for so long? Shovel pass? Both? I ask many times when we had a blocked punt or fieldgoal. So far i have not gotten an answer. I hope special teams take it to the next level after the bye.
    Last edited by Gettysburgh_Steel; 10-09-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: what about woodley and timmons?

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTORKRAFT View Post
    Coach Tomlin has done nothing in the draft (or stocking players) that impresses me. His use of rookies to this point is pathetic. Coach Tomlin relies on his cordinators to make the calls. He didn't make the O move Ben did. Dick L. does the D. So far Coach Tomlin is nothing more that a good spokesman.
    Good post and I agree.....His use of rookies has been a joke.....His first round pick from last year still isn't starting and that was his guy last draft....Which by what I have seen from Timmons this year in brief he needs to start....I think Foote has played well but Timmons can blitz and cover...His speed would be a great help to an already very good defense.....

Thank God for Woodley since that is the only player in Tomlins first two drafts that is contributing in a major way....

Matt Spaeth and William Gay are good role players......But Spaeth really hasn't improved at all and I havn't been impressed with his blocking so far this year.....I did think Daniel Sepulveda would have a very good year punting the ball this year....But a torn ACL ruined that....

So from Tomlin's first draft class we do have one starting LB and another potential starting LB....Then a backup TE and backup corner that could be a solid nickel corner one day....Plus a starting punter....

I think that was a good draft but Timmons and Woodley will save that draft from being terrible...

As for this years draft class....A bunch of unknowns so far.....You can't blame them for taking Mendenhall and Sweed....That was great value....But Mendenhall rookie season was cut short due to injury but at the same time he didn't impress much in pre-season or the short time he played in the regluar season...

Limas Sweed who knows what to think of him....But I will say this he needs to play...Only way he improves as a player...You can't tell me Dallas Baker has been that more impressive or that much better of a player at this point...

Bruce Davis the third round needs another seasons to bulk up some and is playing on the kick coverage teams...So give him some time...He could be Clark Haggans type player one day...Very good backup that became a starter that should have stayed a backup...But depth is needed...

Hills, Dixon, Humpel and Mundy were the rest from this year....Humpel and Mundy were cut....Both probably will always be practice squad fodder.....Hills will never be an elite OT....My hope is a solid RT one day....Dixon still question that pick but grooming a backup QB is important....

This class desereves more time...Hopefully Mendenhall and Sweed develop from saving this class......One point to make here.....Keven Colbert deserves as much of the blame or even more for these drafts to.....I think its time for Colbert to go....The second day of his drafts have been terrible the last 5 drafts.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Mewelde Moore was a good player before signing with the Steelers.....Teams have had film on him the last few years and knew what he can do as a player....In 2005 with the Vikings Moore had over 1000 yards with his combined rushing and receiving yards...That is why me and some others on this site were happy when he was signed...But Mike Tomlin didn't hide Moore from any team in the NFL...lol He was a proven already.....Now the signing of Moore should be praised....

As for the play book to be opened up....We're using the same play book as last year when Bruce Arians revamped the whole offense and play book.....So I doubt there is anything new or anything that will surprise teams....

As for Dick LeBeau....He has been a coach in the NFL for a long time and invented the zone blitz so I'm sure teams have seen what Coach LeBeau will throw at them...Sure Coach LeBeau is a defensive genius and always adds a wrinkle here in there when he gets young talented player like Woodley and Timmons....But there won't whole lot of new stuff from the D either...

Bottom what it comes down to after the bye is the players execution and preparation the by coaches to put the players in the best position to execute....Which I question at times by Coach Tomlin and Bruce Arians (especially on the road).......Now the win in Jacksonville was a step in the right derection.....I think that was Coach Tomlin's most impressive win as a HC so far in his young career.....But I'm far from convinced....

Plus healthy will always play a factor...So I'm knocking on wood, praying to the football gods, rubbing my lucky Steelers charm that no more serious injuries take place to this team.....
    I agree they had footage from another team. Not with us though. He was in the first 3 or 4 games but was not used. Tell me i'm lying. He was utilized the last game pretty effectivly. How do you gameplan for that once willie is back?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Now is not the time to hold back any longer if they are indeed doing that. This team has a full arsenal of weapons at it's disposal on both sides of the ball and they need to start bringing it for 60 minutes of every game. We need to dictate how we're going to play on offense and let Ben do more of the same from here on out.

Traditionally Ben struggles alittle bit as I recall after bye weeks, the team seems to come out alittle flat in the first half then it's a race to see if they can recover before the gun sounds at the end of the game. This is a test for Tomlin to have this team ready to go and hopefully we're as healthy as can be heading into the stretch because we're going to need every guy on our roster to see this through.

My Mood
    Mad
    I agree they had footage from another team. Not with us though. He was in the first 3 or 4 games but was not used. Tell me i'm lying. He was utilized the last game pretty effectivly. How do you gameplan for that once willie is back?
    Yes Moore was used in a effective role but I'm not surprised...The guy is a proven solid football player....The signing of Moore was a very good signing and even more important now with Mendenhall lost for the year......

Game plan for Moore? Are you asking how Arians/Tomlin are going to use Moore in the game plan?...Or how defenses are going to game plan for Moore?...Or both?

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Yes Moore was used in a effective role but I'm not surprised...The guy is a proven solid football player....The signing of Moore was a very good signing and even more important now with Mendenhall lost for the year......

Game plan for Moore? Are you asking how Arians/Tomlin are going to use Moore in the game plan?...Or how defenses are going to game plan for Moore?...Or both?
    Maybe both if we bring out all of our weopens after the bye. Not only how are teams going to prepare for us.......but how can we use these guys that we have not used them thus far.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Still have not heard when the last time special teams blocked a punt or a field goal. After the bye i look for st's to make a leap. Somebody please tell me!!!Please?
    Last edited by Gettysburgh_Steel; 10-09-2008 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by MOTORKRAFT View Post
    you give Tomlin way too little credit..I think he's doing a fine job as a coach,What do you want him to do jump in and tell the Rooney's to spend more money on the O-line?

Thread Information