Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Bowl Offensive Tackle History

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Pro-Bowl Offensive Tackle History

Did a little research on pro-bowl tackles going back to the 2003 season. Below is the list of OT's and where they were drafted in their perspective draft. I think you will find the list eye opening. Listed by name, year drafted, round drafted, overall draft #, number of times selected to the pro-bowl.

Here is our guys. See a difference?

As you can plainly see with the exception of Jason Peters of the Bills who was an Unrestricted Free Agent, all the pro-bowl tackles of the past 5 or 6 years were top picks in the draft. My point is that if the Steelers want to see their O-line significantly improve maybe we need to place a little more emphasis in our draft picks on the O-line. You can coach a terd, you can polish a terd, you can even dress up a terd to look like something else, but in the end it is still a terd. You want a stud, you better go early and be prepared to move up to get one!

Wouldn't a Michael Oher or a Eugene Monroe look good in the Black&Gold?
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 12-23-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Who was our last first round O line draft pick? Was it Alan Faneca? How many years has it been?

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Did a little research on pro-bowl tackles going back to the 2003 season. Below is the list of OT's and where they were drafted in their perspective draft. I think you will find the list eye opening. Listed by name, year drafted, round drafted, overall draft #, number of times selected to the pro-bowl.

Here is our guys. See a difference?

As you can plainly see with the exception of Jason Peters of the Bills who was an Unrestricted Free Agent, all the pro-bowl tackles of the past 5 or 6 years were top picks in the draft. My point is that if the Steelers want to see their O-line significantly improve maybe we need to place a little more emphasis in our draft picks on the O-line. You can coach a terd, you can polish a terd, you can even dress up a terd to look like something else, but in the end it is still a terd. You want a stud, you better go early and be prepared to move up to get one!

Wouldn't a Michael Oher or a Eugene Monroe look good in the Black&Gold?
    Yeah, we've been blowing off drafting a stud OT for some time now. With the way Ben has been tossed around the past few years, its time for a serious investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbucket View Post
    Who was our last first round O line draft pick? Was it Alan Faneca? How many years has it been?
    Actually it was Kendall Simmons in 2002, Faneca was drafted in 1998

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard
    Here is the our O-line.

That is a pretty rag tag bunch and if you compared it to any other teams O-line I believe you would see why ours is one of the worst O-lines in the entire league. The whole line is piecemealed together with scraps. Not a single player is a thoroughbred to build around. Sometimes you get exactly what you pay for!

One of the happiest men around must be Alan Faneca (1st round, 26th overall, 10X Pro Bowls) who left this bunch to go play with some studs.

Mangold and Ferguson are future perrenial pro-bowlers. Woody is a stud who has already won a couple SB's with the Patriots.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 12-24-2008 at 09:53 AM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    We've got the weapons on offense, now its time to get a franchise OT and a road grading OG and not in that particular order.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    We've got the weapons on offense, now its time to get a franchise OT and a road grading OG and not in that particular order.
    I would be happy if we wheeled and dealed and cashed in all of our draft picks to pick the top tackle and top guard in the draft. 2 solid draft horses who we could build around. Throw the scraps back into the scrap heap.

Most football fans know that games are won or lost in the trenches. On the defensive side we have some real warriors and they win the battles most of the time. On the offensive side we recruited some of the local peasants and are asking them to battle with real warriors........and they are losing most of the time. Yet, some are surprised by these results. I am not!
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 12-24-2008 at 09:50 AM.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I would be happy if we wheeled and dealed and cashed in all of our draft picks to pick the top tackle and top guard in the draft. 2 solid draft horses who we could build around. Throw the scraps back into the scrap heap.
    We have to do something about our OL in next years draft and I'm not talking day 2. This is getting pitiful.....every year we wait and wait and ****ing wait, we got nothing to show for it except no running game and Ben gettin killed every year.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted
    Anyone know of any good FA's for next year they could look at? Not saying they don't need to draft too. I'd just like to see a good vet come in that can take control of the line and teach whomever is drafted.

Gold Standard
    I'm okay with the Steelers staying out of the free agent market and building through the draft. I am not happy that other teams like the Cowboys and Patriots are wheeling and dealing on draft day to position themselves to get the players THAT THEY WANT, while our team seems content to stay where they are at and take whatever they can get. Make some moves, package some picks, target the guy you want and go get him! If we don't do that soon we won't need to worry about grabbing quality picks because we will be moving near the front of the picking order!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Anyone know of any good FA's for next year they could look at? Not saying they don't need to draft too. I'd just like to see a good vet come in that can take control of the line and teach whomever is drafted.
    Nothin to brag about or won't get resigned by their current clubs.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Thread Information