Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Early 2009 NFL Draft Thoughts

Bookmark and Share
    smith is a potential pick imo, he'll go high based on upside...oher is very polished and hes the kind of guy i would want to build a line around. marvel smith isnt gonna get they type of money he was thinking he was gonna get so he might stick around.

it all really comes down to tony hills and what he can do. i hope stapleton runs away with center/rg like we are expecting him to do. lets bank on starks going away despite playing decent at LT for the second year in a row. i hate kemoeatu still, and i do like hartwig but i think they really want stapleton in that spot. and i like colon at guard still damnit lol

duke robinson isnt a branden albert type prospect but hes the best true guard to come out in a while the dude is ****ing nasty. id bust a nut if we got oher though, we would be soooo much better with a guy like him on the line, he would make everyone else better.

I like Oher, but he is a product of ridiculous hype. He is more of a straight ahead run-blocker (think Marvel Smith-like) and is not really the most agile guy. He is capable in pass-blocking but he can really struggle with speed rushers. BG had him at 1B behind Andre Smith, but I am inclined to believe that he is the 3rd best tackle in this draft class behind Smith and the guy from Virginia who I can't remember right now.

I wouldn't mind us going DB in the first round. I like Ryan Clark a lot but he is replaceable and our corner backs (except for Taylor who is legit and MCFadden was looking pretty good) often leave something to be desired. I like Alphonso Smith (I think that is his last name?) for Wake. He is a ballhawk who has 19 career INT's.

eugene monroe...i love him, if your good enough to make a player like branden albert be forced to play inside at guard your a ****ing badass

i despise everything about taking a DB in the first round

And why would that be?

I am not saying our secondary is bad (they are pretty good, though the pass rush helps a ton) but some members could be replaced

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    And why would that be?

I am not saying our secondary is bad (they are pretty good, though the pass rush helps a ton) but some members could be replaced
    Obviously, some members could be replaced, but you have to see where we are most vulnerable atm, and that is definetly not our secondaries, but our o-line.

I gotta say O-line or nothing. How many RBs and WRs can we draft? Limas Sweed may end up a good receiver one day but so far he's a bust. Mendenhall certainly has the signs of a bust. RBs tend to be able to play right off in the NFL unlike most other draft choices which can take a couple years to show their worth. Mendenhall didn't show any of the flash and punch we expected. And both were drafted instead of O-Line peeps. Granted, our second string o-liners seem fairly decent. (better than most of our first stringers IMO). I just think this skipping the O-Line over and over will bite us pretty quickly if it's not addressed. We're going to lose like 3 more of them this next offseason.

-Steelers70
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    If the Steelers resign McFadden then there won't be much of need to draft any corners.....Townsend will be back next year as the nickel corner and Willie Gay has shown he can play in this league and is fine as the 4th corner and will the nickel corner when Townsend is gone....

At safety the starters are fine....I could see the Steelers drafting a safety on the second day of the draft since there isn't much behind the starters......Carter isn't going to play forever and I don't expect Anthony Smith to be back next year......We havn't seen much from Smith all year....Its a shame since he is talented but he seems not have the mental part of the game....

The Steelers need to draft a couple OL....A LT and center would be nice.....Hartwig has done a solid job this year but the Steelers can do better....I like a couple centers in this draft.....

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    And why would that be?

i hate all reports of us looking at going corner in the first the last few years. you dont draft guys like revis and leon hall that high, theres to many guys just as good or better as 2nd or 3rd round prospects. every once in a while you get a dieon sanders or rod woodson or champ bailey but theres been no guys like that recently...the last CB i could have lived with was cromartie back in 05, since then weve seen ty hill, leon hall, revis, cason (who i did kinda like), mckelvin, DRC (who i also liked)...point is none of they guys we have are high draft picks (except troy obviously but i mean corners) but corners arent all that valuable to us especially right now while OLine is #1 and Dline is #2 priority

Gold Standard

O-line and D-line

We have got to beef up in the trenches. Is there a Steeler fan out there who likes the performance of our O-line? The O-line is atrocious and has been this year and last. If we do not draft O-line & D-line in the first few rounds I will be outraged. O-line is our weakest link right now followed up by a lack of quality depth at D-line behind our starters. I would like to see our 1st, 2nd, and both 3rd round picks all spent on lineman.

Here are a few people I would like to see get some pink slips.

Marvel Smith - always hurt not getting any younger
    Kendall Simmons - piece of ****
    Max Starks - worthless and overpaid
    Trai Essex - perenial back-up

I like Kemoeatu. He is a beast and is getting better. Colon needs to be moved inside and I am satisfied with the job Hartwig is doing. Jury is still out on Tony Hills. Stapleton is also improving and may someday replace Hartwig at center. We need tackles in the worst way.

Defensively our starting 3 are good but besides Chris Hoke the rest of the backups are practice squad scrubs. Kirschke, Eason, and Roye just don't inspire and none of them are starter quality. We need to pick up at least one DE that can be groomed to start someday.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

would love tyson jackson or al woods from LSU if thers no lineman available. we have to think that oher, smith and monroe will all be gone long before we pick, probably alot of others as well...jason smith from baylor is gonna rise up the charts, were gonna have to hope for duke robinson to fall just because hes a guard cause tackles go fast as ****

Thread Information