Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason this year's defense is superior to last year's defense

Bookmark and Share

Arrow Another reason this year's defense is superior to last year's defense

Our defense this year knows how to put away close games. They did a terrible job of that last year, but they've rediscovered how to do it this year. Discuss...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Our defense this year knows how to put away close games. They did a terrible job of that last year, but they've rediscovered how to do it this year. Discuss...
    I agree with you 100 percent and there are a couple of good reasons for that. First off, Troy is playing out of his mind so far and his 100 percent healthy. Next, you have a guy like Lamar Woodley starting who is a dominant force over a stiff like Clark Haggans who just couldnt cut it here no more toward the end of last season. Also, Timmons has been very solid as well this year and is a big big contributor to this defense so far.

Lastly, I really believe that Bryant McFadden starting over Deshea in the secondary makes not only the secondary better but the defense as a whole better overall. Bryant McFadden since being inserted into the starting lineup this year has just made big play after big play late in these games on 3rd downs and just everything. He had so many key tackles and pass breakups last night late in the game that had Deshea Townsend been playing they would have been catches and conversions and who knows what would have happened. McFadden is so solid and I think he is only going to get better as the year goes along, he is a really solid football player.

The bottom line is this defense this season has more playmakers and difference makers starting and getting more reps and it's a big reason why they now know how to finish off games and are currently sitting at 4-1 as we head into the bye week. This defense is flat out good and I think is only going to get better as the season moves forward.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 10-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    What is scary is I think personally this defense could be even better with Timmons receiving more playing time.....He can cover, blitz and hit.....Those skills need to be used more in this defense...

The defense is finishing games......Harrison, Woodley are a big part of that....Plus McFadden has really came into his own this year....But the biggest reason to me is the health of the Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu.....

Yes I know I ranted and rave about Troy.....But I didn't want to see him being the next Bob Sanders only playing 6-8 games a year...So it was pissing me off...I still think he is vastly over-rated by some....But he is a damn good football player when healthy....

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I agree with all of the above but I'll add that the play of Timmons has made Larry Foote a better player.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    I agree with all of the above but I'll add that the play of Timmons has made Larry Foote a better player.
    Larry Foote is a solid football player....I don't dislike Foote......But I just think Timmons has a some special skills....When the Jags scored the go ahead TD and Foote was slow in coverage....I think Timmons speed could have helped there....

Its nice to have this problem as well...Depth is always a good thing....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    Indeed, Foote has elevated his game because he knows Lebeau has options behind him, competition is always a good thing and it's nice to finally have solid depth at MLB. We haven't had that kind of depth in the last 5 years at least there.

let's not forget something else here people, Aaron Smith is healthy and he's key to our stuffing the run. Without him last year we were horrible plain and simple. Our depth in key areas is a major reason we're 4-1 and not 2-3 right now. McFadden, Roye, Hoke, Kirschke, Timmons, Clark, all these guys are huge not to mention Troy who is beyond a shadow of a doubt back to being the force he was 2 years ago.

Why not move Woodley to DE for a couple games, and put Timmons at Outside LB? I mean since were so thin on the D-line right now. There must be a reason they won't do this. Woodley played DE in College and he has DE size!
    Just a question, whatever they're doing is working and obviously no need to fix something that isnt broke.

Dick Lebeau is a ****ing genius by the way

Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar
    Woodley is a little light to play DE in the 3-4 defense. Those guys are usually 300 pounders.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Mr.Woodley is the main reason we are better. More double teams for him means more sacks for Harrison.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Thank god this defense is back..and looks better than ever. The ol "Meet me at the Quaterback" game Wood and Harrison are playin reminds me of lloyd and Greene. And your right TG...Troy looks like the Troy of old and it's great to see him flying around again. I must admit i agreed with Madden last night on his comments about Troy..the one play when they ran a play out to the outside and Troy came flying up and killed the play with zero yds gained. Most players would have squared up and waited till the runner met them (giving up about 4-5 yds) and then made the tackle. Troy was a missle,as Madden called him and blew that play up.He straight runs thru people.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Thread Information