Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notable Steelers from the '80s?

Bookmark and Share

Question Notable Steelers from the '80s?

Who do you guys think were the best, most fondly-remembered, and most controversial players from the '80s? I'm talking about those players who were among the best in the league, those who were "cult heroes" in Pittsburgh, and those who polarized the fan base, and made people either love them or hate them. Just trying to get the opinions of some of the older fans, since I didn't really start following the Steelers until the 1993 season.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

Reppin' 724
    Bryan Mother****ing Hinkle

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Hinkle is a good one. Louis Lipps never had a QB or he would have been a good one.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Reppin' 724
    All I'm gonna say about Hinkle is that Lambert was the Hinkle of the 70's

Tailgate Coordinator
    Yancey Thigpen.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yancy, man he was the go to guy for Kordell..that dude could make some circus catches and he came out of nowhere. then he bolted to the Titans was it and kinda fizzled out.

80's guys on the Steelers, who could forget Bubby or better yet who could forget the bazillion times NBC camera's would pan out to show his mom in the stands!

80's Steelers: Louis Lipps, Tim Worley and good ole Mark Malone

Veteran
    My Mood
    chiefs-hater
    Mike Merriweather, Walter Abercrombie. How about Tunch Ilkin and Craig Wolfley? Earnest Jackson!!!! Keith Gary. Frank Pollard!!!!
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    I'm talking about those players who were among the best in the league, those who were "cult heroes" in Pittsburgh, and those who polarized the fan base, and made people either love them or hate them.
    I can't think of one player from the 80's like that. The Steelers pretty much sucked the entire decade. What I most remember about the 80's is the demise of the Steelers and Pittsburgh. The mills were laying off 10,000+ people at a time, occasionally someone would get called back to work for a few weeks only to lose their job again one by one theyfinally closed forever. I turned 20 in 1980 and like thousands of others left the area for jobs in other parts of the country in the 80's. (I did return for the 90's only to leave again.) Altough we left the city we never waivered in our support of the Steelers. The DC, NoVa Md Fla Az NC Southern Ca Atlanta Texas were all booming areas and Western Pa. people fled there for jobs. Steeler bars started poping up all over the country. Our love and enthusiasm soon started to convert people from these areas into Steeler fans and the Steelers became America's true team.

One for the Thumb in 81 was the slogan, if did happen just not in 81 or as quick as we would have liked! Slowly the great players of the 70's left. You knew it was over when Franco held out and Chuck Noll said to a reporter "Franco who? I never heard of him." or something similar to that. Passing up the chance to draft Marino and taking some big lineman who was in a car accident before he ever played a game. (If he did he didn't play many) Strike season filled with a team of players no one ever heard of. Except for the few who crossed the line. Maybe Mike Webster???

The Great father of the Steelers a true gentleman in everyones book. The Chief passed away in the 80's.

Just so all you youngins know how bad the 80's were we started off the last season of the decade by losing to the Cleveland Browns 51! Yes 51 friggin point to 0! Just to make matters worse it was in 3 Rivers.
    Last edited by LarryNJ; 10-04-2008 at 05:10 AM.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Rod Woodson

Thread Information