PITTSBURGH – As Jeff Reed was kicking a 46-yard field goal to win Monday night’s game in overtime, the referee blew the play dead because the Baltimore coach called a late timeout.

Undaunted, Reed waited through the timeout and kicked another 46-yarder for the game-winner. As he jogged off the field, his coach, Mike Tomlin, said, “You can’t freeze a psychopath!”

It was the seventh game-winning field goal of Reed’s career, a career that’s becoming one of the greatest of any Steelers kicker. A perfect 7-for-7 this season, Reed has made 82.6 percent of his career kicks. If Reed makes his next two kicks, he’ll pass Norm Johnson for first place on the Steelers’ all-time accuracy list.

For his work Monday night, Reed was named the AFC’s Special Teams Player of the Week. That’s not too bad for a psychopath.

“Yeah, I guess he did say that,” Reed said of his coach. “He just knows that I live for those opportunities, and as a kicker you should. How many times do you actually get to pull your team through something?”

What did Reed think of Baltimore’s late timeout?

“The whistle blew as I was swinging through the ball,” he said. “I don’t agree with that. That’s not icing the kicker. I don’t even think they got the timeout in. But according to the rules they get the timeout and I have to kick it again. So I did.

By Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Oct 1, 2008
“You can’t freeze a psychopath!” Gotta love that quote.