Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs. Jaguars (Wk. 5)

Smile Steelers vs. Jaguars (Wk. 5)

vs

Monday September 29, 2008
    Heinz Field - 8:30 PM EST

The Steelers travel to Jacksonville this Sunday to face another team coming off an overtime victory this past weekend. Both teams are banged up and have issues with their offensive lines, and both are known for having a great rushing offense. This time around neither team is in the top 10 for rushing, and they both seem to be struggling offensively.

The Steelers offense, through the first 4 games, has been A-W-F-U-L! Big Ben has been sacked 15 times, sustained injuries to his shoulder, throwing hand and knee, has not had a 200 yard passing game, but has turned the ball over 5 times by himself. All this in just 4 games! In Ben's three games against the Jaguars he has averaged 168 yards passing, 1.6 TD passes, and 3.3 sacks per game with a QB rating of 85.6. Traditionally, Ben has struggled against Jacksonville but seemed to have a coming out party against them in the AFC Wild Card game as he brought the Steelers back from a double digit deficit in the 4th quarter only to fall short that game. Hopefully, Ben figured something out that game and is able to use it again this game.

Parker and Mendenhall are both out for this game, Mendenhall is actually done for the year along with RG Simmons. The Steelers are banged up bad right now, but really no more than any other team in the NFL as injuries seem to be the them this year. Moore will more than likely get his first start as a Steeler with Russell and Davenport backing him up, assuming Davenport is signed. The running is not existent this year averaging just 100 yards per game. At that pace they'll get 1600 on the year and probably be out rushed by 5 individuals. This woeful problems though can all be equated to the offensive line. The line has been non existent for a majority of the season only showing glimpses of hope every now and then, but really nothing to get excited about. Not all the blame can be placed on the line though, Ben could try and get rid of the ball sooner or the OC could call some plays to offset the blitzes opposing defenses are unloading on the Steelers.

Defense usually wins Championships, at this point this Steelers defense looks like they could win a Championship by themselves. They have stopped the run, and they aren't giving up the big plays down field. Granted they have had let downs on third and long but that can be expected from time-to-time. If the defense wasn't as good as they are their 3-1 record would probably be 1-3. For the Steelers to pull out a victory on the road in Jacksonville they will need to do the following:
    • Offensive line needs to protect Ben and open up holes for the running game.
    • Play calling needs to counter the blitzes and keep the defense on their heals.
    • Offense needs to wake up and use the star power to light up the scoreboard!

Join us Sunday night as we talk about the game and cheer on the Steelers to a victory!!!

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 10-06-2008 at 01:44 PM.

i dont normally correct people but simmons is a RG not a LT. otherwise great read thanks

Quote Originally Posted by $teelersRule View Post
    i dont normally correct people but simmons is a RG not a LT. otherwise great read thanks
    Thanks! It was a test to see if anyone was reading it

Not sure why I had the left side on the mind

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Didn't we win last time we went to Jax? Its when we play them at home we get picked on. They are hurting too, so this could be another pick um game. We should get after the QB because their OL isn't any better than ours really. This game will come down to a war of attrition. We will win this. I really believe that. I know that we didn't look great on monday, but I know you all saw what I did, and that was a QB starting to take over the team. Ben is going to get this team going in the right direction, and he will show that he is the true leader of this team. He wants this responsibilty, and he will get it.

When opposites become one, a savior will emerge, and his name is Bionic Ben Roethlisberger.....

Jacksonville has one the last 3 meetings. Last year they came to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers twice (1 Regular Season 22-29, and then the Playoffs). Go back to 2006 the Steelers went to Jacksonville and was shutout 0-9!

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Jacksonville has one the last 3 meetings. Last year they came to Pittsburgh and beat the Steelers twice (1 Regular Season 22-29, and then the Playoffs). Go back to 2006 the Steelers went to Jacksonville and was shutout 0-9!
    Wasn't that the game with Batch at QB? Why did I think that was at home? Was our last win Bens Rookie year?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Wasn't that the game with Batch at QB? Why did I think that was at home? Was our last win Bens Rookie year?
    You go back to 2005 and Maddox was playing for an injured Big Ben and threw the INT in OT that was returned for a TD. In 2006 Big Ben played that night when he probably shouldn't have... You're bringing back a lot of bad memories

The last time the Steelers beat Jacksonville was Bens rookie year 2004, 17-16. Ben had an awesome game, 14/17 221 with 2 TD's with a QB rating of 158.0

Yeah,,,,,,you had to mention that game I was there and that was my 1st game at Pittsburgh

We can take the jags,,,,,,,But after that heavy weight fight wth the rats and now going to jacksonville, I've got my doubts and like AZ said it's been 4 yrs since we've won

If our o-line will give Ben a chance,"we'll win" But until our o-line straightens up,i'm hoping that Ben will make it to the bye week and maybe Tomlin can light a fire under these guys

I know one thing,,,,,, I am a TITANS fan this week

My elderly father and mother stay with me and my family. My father is a huge Jacksonville fan. If we don't win this game I'll never hear the end of it. I would love to say this will be an easy win but Jacksonville's Defense looks pretty good. And their tandem duo running game is ridiculously good. The Steelers will need to bring their A game for certain Sunday.

-Steelers70
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

My biggest worry for this game is not winning or losing,,,,,,,,

It's Ben coming out of it healthy

Thread Information