There may have been some subtle signs in and before the game last night that Tomlin is maturing as a coach - and maybe some positive signs for the team.
1) Mortenson of ESPN reported before the game that Tomlin had lit up Arians this week for the lack of preparation for the Eagles game. This is the first time I've heard or seen anything like this from Tomlin and is a good thing. We were not sharp last night, but worlds better in protection than last week. Kolber also mentioned some fire at halftime. Little things - but I for one have been waiting for this guy to show up with a little emotion and not just clever interviews.
2) We got better in the second half. This hasn't happened often with this staff. They stayed together as a team and fought back for an ugly win. No-sacks in the second half. I would have bet a lot against that.
3) Check downs. We saw a few big plays passing to Moore. 3 for 37 - and probably made the play of the game in OT. We hadn't seen this much this year and it was a great hot matchup for Ben. It looked to be open early and they identified and exploited it late. Progress.
4) The Defense is pretty good. I know we gave up 20 to the Rats, but all of their scores were on short fields - and most during a tiime in the game when the offense didn't make any first downs. This defense is great when rested, but the lack of depth/age in front makes them wear down when the o goes 3 and out too many times in a row.
5) Two for Two in the division. Ugly or not - we hold the cards now. The Jags are not playing great right now and if we can lay it on the line and get another ugly win there, we go to the bye in as good of shape as we could have hoped for.