Thread: Light at the end of the Tunnel... or a Train?

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar

Light at the end of the Tunnel... or a Train?

There may have been some subtle signs in and before the game last night that Tomlin is maturing as a coach - and maybe some positive signs for the team.

1) Mortenson of ESPN reported before the game that Tomlin had lit up Arians this week for the lack of preparation for the Eagles game. This is the first time I've heard or seen anything like this from Tomlin and is a good thing. We were not sharp last night, but worlds better in protection than last week. Kolber also mentioned some fire at halftime. Little things - but I for one have been waiting for this guy to show up with a little emotion and not just clever interviews.

2) We got better in the second half. This hasn't happened often with this staff. They stayed together as a team and fought back for an ugly win. No-sacks in the second half. I would have bet a lot against that.

3) Check downs. We saw a few big plays passing to Moore. 3 for 37 - and probably made the play of the game in OT. We hadn't seen this much this year and it was a great hot matchup for Ben. It looked to be open early and they identified and exploited it late. Progress.

4) The Defense is pretty good. I know we gave up 20 to the Rats, but all of their scores were on short fields - and most during a tiime in the game when the offense didn't make any first downs. This defense is great when rested, but the lack of depth/age in front makes them wear down when the o goes 3 and out too many times in a row.

5) Two for Two in the division. Ugly or not - we hold the cards now. The Jags are not playing great right now and if we can lay it on the line and get another ugly win there, we go to the bye in as good of shape as we could have hoped for.

Late in that 3rd quarter and then into the 4th I felt like I saw a completely different Ben. His feet were moving, and he stepped up in the pocket... it's almost like he was playing with a sense of urgency which I hadn't seen from him so far this year. This game was a stepping stone for this team and I feel it may have propelled them into another level.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelfordWexler View Post
    There may have been some subtle signs in and before the game last night that Tomlin is maturing as a coach - and maybe some positive signs for the team.

1) Mortenson of ESPN reported before the game that Tomlin had lit up Arians this week for the lack of preparation for the Eagles game. This is the first time I've heard or seen anything like this from Tomlin and is a good thing. We were not sharp last night, but worlds better in protection than last week. Kolber also mentioned some fire at halftime. Little things - but I for one have been waiting for this guy to show up with a little emotion and not just clever interviews.

2) We got better in the second half. This hasn't happened often with this staff. They stayed together as a team and fought back for an ugly win. No-sacks in the second half. I would have bet a lot against that.

3) Check downs. We saw a few big plays passing to Moore. 3 for 37 - and probably made the play of the game in OT. We hadn't seen this much this year and it was a great hot matchup for Ben. It looked to be open early and they identified and exploited it late. Progress.

4) The Defense is pretty good. I know we gave up 20 to the Rats, but all of their scores were on short fields - and most during a tiime in the game when the offense didn't make any first downs. This defense is great when rested, but the lack of depth/age in front makes them wear down when the o goes 3 and out too many times in a row.

5) Two for Two in the division. Ugly or not - we hold the cards now. The Jags are not playing great right now and if we can lay it on the line and get another ugly win there, we go to the bye in as good of shape as we could have hoped for.
    I couldn't agree with u more we are n an good position to do some good things,and with Tomlin finally putting his foot down with B.A we should be headed in the right direction

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Letting Ben call the plays,and run a no huddle was a good idea. We have no RB right now, and Ben is going to have to carry the load it seems. When you become one dimensional you become easy to beat. Even if your as great as Ben. Change is going to have to be made in a hurry for us to get out of this one. We looked good late, but how long can we keep that up? Yes Jax is beat up too, but not in the runnung game, and if we keep going 3 and out, or Def is going to get tired real fast,and The Jags will run it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelfordWexler View Post

That is good to hear but it obviously didn't effect Arians at all. He still did nothing. Let's see how Tomln handles it theis week.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    That is good to hear but it obviously didn't effect Arians at all. He still did nothing. Let's see how Tomln handles it theis week.
    I don't think it affected him, because he's totally inept. We need a new guy at his position--and until that happens, let Ben run it himself. It's more than a coincidence that things turn around every time that happens.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 09-30-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I don't think it affected him, because he's totally inept. We need a new guy at his position--and until that happens, let Ben run it himself. It's more than a coincidence that things turn around every time that happens.
    Manning does ok with the Colts. I think Ben will be better than him if we turn him loose. now is the time. Also I keep hearing from NFL people around the league that maybe its time for us to look at the West Coast Off because of our poor line play. Might be something to think about. I'm not saying change everything over night before we get to Jax, but there are plays we can use, and use well. Please help me on this one. You saw how good this team was getting that ball out fast last night.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Letting Ben call the plays,and run a no huddle was a good idea. We have no RB right now, and Ben is going to have to carry the load it seems. When you become one dimensional you become easy to beat. Even if your as great as Ben. Change is going to have to be made in a hurry for us to get out of this one. We looked good late, but how long can we keep that up? Yes Jax is beat up too, but not in the runnung game, and if we keep going 3 and out, or Def is going to get tired real fast,and The Jags will run it up.
    I agree it worked in the playoff game last season in the 2nd half when the Steelers were down 28-10 and they came back and lead 29-28. Use the no huddle this week a lot it will keep the Jags D guessing and off balanced and wear them out a lot more.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben said in an interview today that they were going to work on the no huddle a lot this week and the silent snap count as well. Why it took them so long to think of this is anybody's idea. Use the freeking no huddle every week for a few series just to mix things up. Keep yourself unpredictable and stop just doing the same ole **** that obviously doesn't work.

Thread Information