Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-1 after 4 games and in first place... I'll take it

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

3-1 after 4 games and in first place... I'll take it

I know the game last night was not pretty and it looked like the Steelers were going to lose the game early on in the 2nd half but the bottom line is they found a way to get it done despite injuries to some key players and playing against a pretty damn good Baltimore team that I will admit I took for granted in a lot of areas. Once again it wasnt pretty and a work of art but at the end of the day it's a WIN and a pretty good character win that this Steelers team I think can build on and take with them for the final 12 games of the season.

As I stated earlier last week the Steelers needed this win in the worst way because it will now allow them at 3-1 now to control the division here for the remainder of the season now having the tiebraker over the Ravens who still have a lot of tough games upcoming on their schedule which I dont think they will be able to win. A win by the Ravens last night would have really put the Steelers under the gun going into Jacksonville this week being 2-2, with all the injuries they had last night; plus, losing at home on a Monday night to a rookie QB and all of those other things that will add up just would have not been good for this Steelers team. It's essentially a 2 game swing in the standings by finding a way to win that game last night. Had the Ravens won and gone to 3-0 and had the tiebraker over the Steelers by beating them at home on a Monday night and put the Steelers at 2-2 with the upcoming schedule they have coming up it would have really put the Steelers behind the 8-ball and made them start questioning themselves. Instead though you win a close hard fought division game at home and move to 3-1 and despite the injuries you go into the game with the Jags here Sunday night with a good feeling and still with a feeling of payback from the regular season and playoff losses they gave you last season.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Yes, payback in due. The Jags have it coming to them. I'm sure Tomlin wil be playing last years games all over for them to see like he did last year to try and get them pumped up. We are hurting, and i'm sure our boys are still sitting in those ice tubs trying to shake that pain. They played hard last night. I think the boo's at half time hurt them. I cant remember the last time they got booed like thatat home. WOW!!!!

Well, it woke um up, and they played like fighting dogs. I was proud of them. I would never boo my team. thats not my style. For the record, I'm still looking for that SOB that tossed that Beer on Kordell...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The team was yelping about payback heading in to the playoffs last year and we all saw how well that worked out for us. This team needs to regroup and get a win somehow next week. We're banged up and next week it isn't going to get any easier.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    3-1 thats good, but where is our progression? 3-1 and we beat the teams that we thought we would. its been ugly, now injuries are killings us. Last night was bitter sweet

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The team was yelping about payback heading in to the playoffs last year and we all saw how well that worked out for us. This team needs to regroup and get a win somehow next week. We're banged up and next week it isn't going to get any easier.
    The Steelers really need to go no huddle this week against the Jags much like they did in the playoff game when it worked to near perfection in the 2nd half. They really need to look into this especially since they are going to be short on running backs this week. Let's face it something is wrong for whatever reason everytime we play the Jags. The gameplans the Steelers use just do not work. It's time for Tomlin and Arians especially to shake things up and try a different strategy or otherwise the same results are going to happen Sunday night in Jacksonville that have happened the last 4 times these two teams have meet and we all know what they were.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Playing in in Jacksonville has always been a House of Horrors for the Steelers....

In 1995 the Steelers lost in Jax that year when the Jags were a an expansion team that year....The next year in Jax the Steelers lost and also lost Greg Lloyd to a season ending knee injury...Of course I don't think any Steelers Fan will forget that crazy game down in Jax on Monday night during the 1997 season when the Jags blocked a last second field goal to seal the victory and Cowher acted like he was going to come onto the field and tackle the Jags player that returned the blocked field goal....The Steelers beat the Jags in Jacksonville during the 2000 season....But that was the game when rookie Plaxico Burress spiked a live football after catching a pass....lol

I believe the Steelers have only won 3 times in Jacksonville....Which one of them was in Ben's rookie year in 2004.... when he led the Steelers down for a last second field goal to give the Steelers the lead....Jags kicker Josh Scobee missed a last second field that was 60+ yards that just missed if memory serves me correct.....Then of course in 2006 in Ben's first start after the motor cycle accident the Steelers lost again in Jacksonville....

I always hate when the Steelers have to travel to Jacksonville...The Steelers offense has to bring their A-game (especially Ben).....I expect the Steelers to have no kind of running game Sunday night......With all the injuries that have hit the Steelers RBs and combine that with the Jags tough defense this game is all on Ben and his play makers in the passing game....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Jags have had our number forever, there is just something about that team as BG32 said..no matter what we do when we play them it always backfires. I can't figure it out for the life of me other than they mirror what our identity used to be. A QB who manages the game and doesn't throw much, tough running game, stoudt defense, solid special teams. They have stayed that course over the years while we have moved to a different type of offense since Jerome left and probably even before that.

Right now we are beaten up and trying to piece together a 53 man roster to go play the Jags. If by some miracle we can go and win that game we'll be in great shape record wise heading into the bye but at this point I'll be happy if we even have 53 players before it's over next weekend..lol.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    I have watched every jagoffs game this year and they have not been impressive on either side of the ball when going up against any decent defense. I am really not worried about this weekend. If Matt Schwab can shredd there defense it would not surprise me if we put up 40 plus on them. I am not saying we will, but I do believe we in are for a showing of what we expect of our Offense this week. With more No-Huddle and Ben doing the play calling we will go up big and roll on to a much deserved Bye Week
    Last edited by NOVA STEELERS; 09-30-2008 at 11:31 PM.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Playing in in Jacksonville has always been a House of Horrors for the Steelers....

In 1995 the Steelers lost in Jax that year when the Jags were a an expansion team that year....The next year in Jax the Steelers lost and also lost Greg Lloyd to a season ending knee injury...Of course I don't think any Steelers Fan will forget that crazy game down in Jax on Monday night during the 1997 season when the Jags blocked a last second field goal to seal the victory and Cowher acted like he was going to come onto the field and tackle the Jags player that returned the blocked field goal....The Steelers beat the Jags in Jacksonville during the 2000 season....But that was the game when rookie Plaxico Burress spiked a live football after catching a pass....lol

I believe the Steelers have only won 3 times in Jacksonville....Which one of them was in Ben's rookie year in 2004.... when he led the Steelers down for a last second field goal to give the Steelers the lead....Jags kicker Josh Scobee missed a last second field that was 60+ yards that just missed if memory serves me correct.....Then of course in 2006 in Ben's first start after the motor cycle accident the Steelers lost again in Jacksonville....

I always hate when the Steelers have to travel to Jacksonville...The Steelers offense has to bring their A-game (especially Ben).....I expect the Steelers to have no kind of running game Sunday night......With all the injuries that have hit the Steelers RBs and combine that with the Jags tough defense this game is all on Ben and his play makers in the passing game....
    The bottom line with this game against the Jags this weekend as I stated before is the only way the Steelers win this game is if they go no huddle 4-5 wides 80-85 percent of this game and put the Jags on their heels early on. The Steelers always seem to have the same strategy with the Jags when they play them and that is they try to run the ball and go toe to toe with them and guess what?? It isnt going to work. It's time to shake things up once and for all this weekend and catch the Jags off guard some and do the no huddle for the majority of the game.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The Jags have had our number forever, there is just something about that team as BG32 said..no matter what we do when we play them it always backfires. I can't figure it out for the life of me other than they mirror what our identity used to be. A QB who manages the game and doesn't throw much, tough running game, stoudt defense, solid special teams. They have stayed that course over the years while we have moved to a different type of offense since Jerome left and probably even before that.

Right now we are beaten up and trying to piece together a 53 man roster to go play the Jags. If by some miracle we can go and win that game we'll be in great shape record wise heading into the bye but at this point I'll be happy if we even have 53 players before it's over next weekend..lol.
    As long as Ben Roethlisberger stays healthy on this team the Steelers have a chance to advance as far as anybody in the AFC. You saw it once again last night out of Ben that when he was under intense pressure he stepped up time and time again like with the Holmes TD, and the big play to Ward where he shrugged off the one guy, and even the check down play to Moore in OT. Those plays that Ben made there are one of the many reasons he is one of the better qb's in the NFL.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 09-30-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    The Steelers really need to go no huddle this week against the Jags much like they did in the playoff game when it worked to near perfection in the 2nd half. They really need to look into this especially since they are going to be short on running backs this week. Let's face it something is wrong for whatever reason everytime we play the Jags. The gameplans the Steelers use just do not work. It's time for Tomlin and Arians especially to shake things up and try a different strategy or otherwise the same results are going to happen Sunday night in Jacksonville that have happened the last 4 times these two teams have meet and we all know what they were.
    I agree with everything in this post, if the Steelers do not go to the no huddle in the Jaguars game, they will lose. It burns me up that if they would of did it in Philly, the Steelers could possibly be 4-0. Right now it puts them in the best position to win games and Ben seems to thrive when they do it, he's in his element.

Thread Information