Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the 20 yard cushion???

Bookmark and Share

What's up with the 20 yard cushion???

i know i may be exaggerating with the yardage here but why are our db's ALWAYS 10 yards off the wide outs??
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

That's been my big complaint for several years now... all that big cushion does is allow the quick passes from the QB and a quick 5,6,7 yards. It's time to man up and jam them at the line to disrupt the WR and QB timing.

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    i know i may be exaggerating with the yardage here but why are our db's ALWAYS 10 yards off the wide outs??
    Its not an exaggeration. I saw once where Ike was back 18 yards on a 3rd and 11.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    From the PG last night..

There are no spots for a riverboat gambler in the Steelers' secondary. Not with the way defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a former NFL cornerback with 62 career interceptions, requires his players to perform. His No. 1 priority, is for the cornerbacks and safeties to keep the ball in front of them and not let receivers get behind them.
    "No big plays," cornerback Ike Taylor said.
    It's the reason the Steelers allowed only 11 pass plays of 25 yards or longer last season -- only the Indianapolis Colts (10) allowed fewer -- and are one of only two teams who haven't allowed any this season.
    It's also part of the reason the Steelers had only 11 interceptions last season, tied for fewest in the league. Such a conservative approach does not lend itself to defensive backs taking chances or gambling on interceptions. Especially when LeBeau's second priority is making sure a receiver is tackled when he catches the ball.
    The Steelers have not changed the way they play in the secondary, at least not their approach. The defensive backs still try to keep the ball in front of them and try to prevent the big play. The longest pass play they have allowed this season is 24 yards in the opener against the Houston Texans.
    I hate that we give a 5 yd cushion beyond the sticks everytime there is a 3rd down play. I understand you want to make sure they don't burn you on the deep ball but damn you have to take some chances now and then. Taylor & McFadden are playing well so far but those 3rd down plays are killer and with our aggressive defense they play more 1 on 1 or with only minimal help so they have to be careful. It's a catch 22, we already have a lot of INT's this year by our Defense but at the same time giving up all those 3rd down plays is NOT good.

Personally I hate the cushion they give; a few yds is 1 thing but 10 yds off?????

We do that pretty regularly when it is 3rd and 17 we always seem to give up the first down and not get the defense off the field.I notice that is almost always at around mid-field when it occurrs. We always tighten up near the red zone,so i am thinking it is a Dick L. kind of thing. I know it sucks but we just kinda have to live with it it seems. It would not hurt to prevent it and get the ball back, our team has work to do,maybe they are saving the best for down the stretch!! Who knows what is going on in thier minds? I sure can't get a good grip on it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can see where he wants to make sure the DB's keep the plays in front of them especially when many times they are playing out there with little help if any behind them but man that cushion to drives me nuts; why waste the time lining up on 3rd and 15 when you know they are going to convert because our guys will give them the first down marker every freekin time!

My Mood
    Sunshine
    [quote=Gettysburgh_Steel We always tighten up near the red zone,so i am thinking it is a Dick L. kind of thing. [/quote]

In the red zone you don't have the field to give a 10 yard cushion.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    we need faster corners

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    we need faster corners
    i'm not sure how fast b mac is but doesn't ike have rockets???
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    In the red zone you don't have the field to give a 10 yard cushion.
    But why does it have to come down to that? That is the question i believe.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I want to see a blocked punt,or field goal,thats what i want to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!We need to get that back. we used to have it but not anymore.Defense sets it up,special teams seals the fate......winning combination. SHOUT IT OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!! Special teams rule!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gettysburgh_Steel; 09-27-2008 at 11:35 PM. Reason: i said she was cute,what happened to that?

Thread Information