Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall vs Ratbirds

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Mendenhall vs Ratbirds

He's getting his first introduction into the world of the Steelers vs Ratbirds on Monday night. Prime time and the kid has the chance to really show what he's got. Right now Felix Jones in Dallas is beginning to take carries away from Barber becuz he's doing so well. This is a great thing for the Cowboys and I'd love to see Mendenhall take this chance and really run with it. We need him big time because he's really all we have this week.

I'm excited to see him start but Im also nervous because of the OL doesn't block it's going to be a LONG night. You know the Rats will be looking to strip that ball anyway they can!

Coaches alert rookie RB to war of words, too

Link to story...
    Mendenhall: 'I hear it's going to be a little different atmosphere here in Pittsburgh.

Thursday, September 25, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin comforts Rashard Mendenhall after he fumbled against the Vikings

Practice over, Rashard Mendenhall stood between two coaches on the field yesterday afternoon while most of his Steelers teammates departed. Mike Tomlin stood on one side; Kirby Wilson, who coaches the running backs, on the other.

They offered advice to Mendenhall about what to expect from the renowned Baltimore Ravens defense when he makes his first pro start Monday night at Heinz Field.

The rookie back has a lot to learn this week as he prepares to play not only the current top-ranked NFL defense, but one as aggressive as they come in the NFL with Hall of Fame linebacker in waiting Ray Lewis smack in the middle of it all.

So Tomlin and Wilson took that time yesterday with their rookie to go over defensive schemes, blitz responsibilities and the like?

"We told him all the nasty things that are going to be said to him Monday night by the Ravens," Wilson said, laughing. "We all wish we had a microphone to tape what's said to him because it's going to be hilarious."

No one does it better than Lewis.

"I told him," Wilson said, "be ready. No. 52? Professional trash talker.

"It's good natured. Those guys are competitors; they do the same to Willie Parker. It's just fun. I know they're going to get after him pretty good. It will be fun to hear some of the stories when they're done come Monday night."

Mendenhall must hope he can laugh along with his coach by then, because making your first NFL start is tough enough, doing it in the Monday night spotlight can add to the anxiety and running against Baltimore's defense makes it a triple play.

The rookie seems to have a good perspective, at the moment.

"It's great, it's exciting, to be at home and a night game. I hear it's going to be a little different atmosphere here in Pittsburgh."

His coaches and teammates say not to worry about those three lost fumbles by Mendenhall in the final two preseason games. But Lewis made sure he mentioned it yesterday in a conference call with the media here, adding that the Ravens would like to strip him of the ball on a few more occasions Monday night.

"It is not a secret," Lewis said. "He has fumbled the ball a couple of times so, if that would be our focus, I think that we would be approaching the game wrong if that was not our focus."

...Rest of story

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    He's getting his first introduction into the world of the Steelers vs Ratbirds on Monday night. Prime time and the kid has the chance to really show what he's got. Right now Felix Jones in Dallas is beginning to take carries away from Barber becuz he's doing so well. This is a great thing for the Cowboys and I'd love to see Mendenhall take this chance and really run with it. We need him big time because he's really all we have this week.

I'm excited to see him start but Im also nervous because of the OL doesn't block it's going to be a LONG night. You know the Rats will be looking to strip that ball anyway they can!
    Funny, I feel the same way. Well, I'm not happy for anyone in Dallas, but I know what you mean. If you were to ask me a week ago, I think I would have said let the kid loose, share the load if we can. But now after watching the real Steeler O-line stands up my confidence is blown in that unit to protect anything. I fear for Ben, and his health, I really do. This is the best QB this team has had in 30 years or so, and I would hate to lose him because we failed to have the right people in place.

if mendy gets through the pre-game jitters and 1st quarter with no case of fumbleitis, he should gain that confidence and do great. let's just hope that the o line can at least hold up to give mendy some holes to run through. he's also great catching the rock and running. maybe airhead arians will use him that way this week.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a good point, the first 10 carries or so for Mendenhall will be huge. If he can hang onto the ball and get into the flow of the game then he has a good chance to do well but if they get to him once and strip that ball we could be in trouble. It's time for him to earn that 1st round draft pick money.

I'm very excited to see Rah-dog on monday. It's his chance to show if he has the stuff. The tackle me fumble me problem shouldn't be an issue. I keep hearing about how tough the rats D is but i dont see anything special. This is why we drafted him instead of a o-lineman, he will go out and make a name for him-self.

Cant wait to see the steelers spank the ravens

Quote Originally Posted by $teeler$guy View Post
    Cant wait to see the steelers spank the ravens
    Sucks I have to listen to it on sirius

More worried about our o-line protecting Ben and Ben coming out of the game in one piece

Reall looking forward to our "D" welcoming Flaco to pittsburgh

Low Scoring Game:

Steelers 13
    Rats 6

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghNation View Post
    Sucks I have to listen to it on sirius

More worried about our o-line protecting Ben and Ben coming out of the game in one piece

Reall looking forward to our "D" welcoming Flaco to pittsburgh

Low Scoring Game:

Steelers 13
    Rats 6
    Yea i hope to see the offense linemen improve since last week..Yea lamar woodley and the rest will welcome Flaco real good!

Here's what I think will happen Monday:

O-line will be OK this game, Ben will still get sacked a few times. 34 will have a tough night though. We still do enough to win.

I also feel we will make Flacco look like a champ first few drives, then shut him down with constant pressure and a clogged run game. They will score a few on us I think.

Troy will have a good game, 56 & 92 will be blocked well, but I still think we win the sack battle. Look for 50 & 94 to step in and have a huge game.

Thread Information