Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers O-Line Set Up For Failure?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad

Steelers O-Line Set Up For Failure?

The more I think of it Bruce Arian's play calling and game planning sets up the OL and whole entire offense to fail at times....The OL isn't great but it would be nice if the play would be sent in faster...How many times did we see Ben take the entire play clock down to 1 second before hiking the ball?...

Plus it would be nice for Ben to freaking audible out of play one time....But with Ben taking the play clock down to 1 he doesn't have time to audible....So I don't know if there is some miss communication between Ben and Arians getting the play in quick?....Or I don't know if all the pre-snap motion this offense does is a reason why Ben doesn't have the time audible out of a play....I also don't know if Ben is to damn stubborn to audible....But changing out of play that is doomed to fail by the blitz could have helped yesterday....

Another point getting the play in quicker and snapping the ball quick would prevent the defense from just settling in and teeing off...Plus the OL wouldn't be in their stance as long in a noisy environment leading to false starting penalties.....

The game plan yesterday seemed to be looking for the deep ball to much so again shorter routes would have helped.......Its time to really design plays for Heath Miller...He could be such a weapon and could be used to counter the blitz.....It would also be nice to see a RB chip a blitzing player before releasing into the flat.......The dump offs to the flat could have worked to against the blitz....Thought that was a reason why Mewelde Moore was signed?....

Finally the bunch formation should be scrapped....Its totally useless when a defense is blitzing as much as the Eagles did yesterday.....I'm not trying to stick up for the OL but again I just think Bruce Arians with his game planning and play calling is setting them up for failure......But what do I know...I'm just a fan.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Arians goes into the game thinking that we need to stretch the defense and loosen up that pass rush. It's good in theory if you complete the passes and if your line can give you enough time to throw. Obviously that plan was shot to hell and what should have happened was an immediate switch to a dink and hunk passing game. 5-10 short passing plays that involves quick drops and allows Ben to find the open guy quick and get the ball out. You also stay in the shotgun while using that short passing game.

The other option would have been to go to the no huddle. That's an automatic cure for an ailing offense and a blitzing defense. You can't send the house and blitz every play when you don't have time to substitute and set up every play. You wear out the defense and give your offense some momentum.

Im seriously it's not that hard is it? I know that I don't know everything but it was so painfully obvious that our OL was not up to the challenge that even a fan who's never seen a real NFL playbook can tell that much right!

When your offense is struggling like ours is you need to pick up the pace, get the plays in quicker, snap the ball quicker, and let your guys gain some confidence. What we saw on Sunday was a complete meltdown from the OL to Arians. Until we prove we can stop the blitz or adjust our play calling to compensate our OL is being set up for failure because they are average at best right now.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Well that does make alot of sense what you are saying..One thing they were saying on NFL Sirius radio is that Ben holds onto the ball too long. He needs to get rid of it a little faster. I think the fast short pass to Miller or Speath would be beneficial if we see that the line is having a hard time protecting Ben. Seems Arians is always wanting that long spectacular pass and catch. Every team is not the same and it doesn't always work. If Ben can't get free and have enough time to wait for the receiver to get down the field then he needs to have someone available for the short efficient pass. Plan A....plan B. but it does make sense what you are saying...

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Well that does make alot of sense what you are saying..One thing they were saying on NFL Sirius radio is that Ben holds onto the ball too long. He needs to get rid of it a little faster. I think the fast short pass to Miller or Speath would be beneficial if we see that the line is having a hard time protecting Ben. Seems Arians is always wanting that long spectacular pass and catch. Every team is not the same and it doesn't always work. If Ben can't get free and have enough time to wait for the receiver to get down the field then he needs to have someone available for the short efficient pass. Plan A....plan B. but it does make sense what you are saying...
    ben holding onto the ball long is probably the cause of sacks about 15% of the time. i wonder if those idiots on sirius actually watched the game. ben had absolutely no time AT ALL in the pocket. 4-5 guys were coming in UNTOUCHED. i watched the game again today and i would have to say that one, just one, sack was ben's fault. the loss to philly was COMPLETELY the coaches fault.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben definitely needs to work on getting the ball out sooner; but as we've talked about before it's just part of his game.he's a guy who will keep plays alive and will make a lot of big throws under prssure..it's a catch 22.

BTW, I'm watching the Jets/Chargers game tonight..the Chargers are blitzing Favre and low and behold what does he do might you ask? Well, they go to quick drops, short passes, and just busted a 30 yd gain and Brett is standing straight up. Think Arians could learn something from watching this game?

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Ben definitely needs to work on getting the ball out sooner; but as we've talked about before it's just part of his game.he's a guy who will keep plays alive and will make a lot of big throws under prssure..it's a catch 22.

BTW, I'm watching the Jets/Chargers game tonight..the Chargers are blitzing Favre and low and behold what does he do might you ask? Well, they go to quick drops, short passes, and just busted a 30 yd gain and Brett is standing straight up. Think Arians could learn something from watching this game?
    i'm watching too. favre is getting rid of the ball with the quickness. hope arians is taking pages and pages of notes.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I really dont see how Ben could have gotten that ball out any faster. He was under heavy fire. He looked like Neo from the Matrix back there dodging bullets. I really had no Idea our O-line was that bad. 6 sacks in 1 quarter is about as bad as it gets. Thats what you expect from the back ups, not the starters. If changes aren't made this week, then it will be Bens last game this year because the Ravens are just as nasty, if not worse than the Eagles, and they hate us. We know what they have done to him in the past, and I'm willing to bet they were licking their chops watching that High School level performance by our OL...This could get out of hand in a hurry fellas..

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    I really dont see how Ben could have gotten that ball out any faster. He was under heavy fire. He looked like Neo from the Matrix back there dodging bullets. I really had no Idea our O-line was that bad. 6 sacks in 1 quarter is about as bad as it gets. Thats what you expect from the back ups, not the starters. If changes aren't made this week, then it will be Bens last game this year because the Ravens are just as nasty, if not worse than the Eagles, and they hate us. We know what they have done to him in the past, and I'm willing to bet they were licking their chops watching that High School level performance by our OL...This could get out of hand in a hurry fellas..
    i know that flacco is on the road and he's a first time starter but i'm not worried about baltimore's OFFENSE. their d will bring the heat all night after last night's arians' abortion.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    ben just isn't a smart qb, everything he does has to be on the fly........ i like ben and all, but he's ****ing retarded, i didn't see this game, but at least half his sacks are his fault, he's to damn stubborn, it's highlight pass or nothing, heath should be up there with the best tight ends, cause he could bail ben out with ease, but ben only wants to throw it 40+....... that's why once he came haynes no longer had a place, they couldn't utilize his talent, and that's why moore is a waste of a contract cause ben won't use him right either
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

I don't want to rag Ben too much, because he is the best QB we've had in a lot of years. But at the same time they go on and on about him having all this say in the offense and the game plan, makes you wonder if some of this isn't on his shoulders. Anyhow if I can say this without getting banned(ala that other no talking bad abotu anythign the team does MB), Arians needs to go. I am tired of his all or nothing game plans. It seems like we toss up 40 points or don't score at all. In this league you have got to be able to go in at half time and make good adjustments. Dick does it on Defense. Whiz used to do it, why can't Arians?
    Last edited by NCSteeler; 09-23-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Thread Information