Thread: What the Eagles are saying/thinking

Bookmark and Share
    Tailgate Coordinator

Post What the Eagles are saying/thinking

What the Iggles are saying........

Philadelphia Eagles v Pittsburgh Steelers preview

On offense, it's no secret what Pittsburgh will try to do... They'll try to establish the run early and often leaning heavily on their big offensive line and Willie Parker. The good news is that the Eagles have been very stout against the run not just last year but so far this year as well. In the first two weeks the Eagles D has held pro bowlers Steven Jackson and Marion Barber to 40 and 63 yards rushing respectively.

However... one area where the Eagles defense has been particularly week is one that the Steelers happen to be very strong in. Tight End. Why the struggles? Quintin Mikell seems to think it's because they've faced so many good TEs.
    "When you look at our schedule, it seems like every week we're facing a great tight end, and he's another one," Eagles safety Quintin Mikell said. "I'm pretty sure they're going to try to work him in there, seeing what happened last week, and we've got to be ready for that."
    Miller is not as big a name as Jason Witten, but he certainly isn't flying under Brian Dawkins' radar
    "It's real important that we take care of that, because Heath Miller is one of the best tight ends in the league," Brian Dawkins said. "I think because the Steelers run the ball so much and they throw it down the field, too, that people don't realize how good he is. But when he gets his chances, he makes some big plays."
    The Eagles linebacking corps, who looked so good against the Rams, struggled against the Cowboys especially in coverage. Chris Gocong is using that as motivation for this week.
    Any time you have a game in which you lose like that or give up 41 points, you're always looking forward to a little redemption," Gocong said. "I think we'll be playing with a chip on our shoulders. It's just pride. We play to win, but we're playing to dominate."
    Stewart Bradley thinks the Eagles linebackers are a good match for the Steelers will try to do on offense.
    "You see different philosophies and you have to adjust," Bradley said. "Pittsburgh's mentality is to run the ball. Well, one of our main focuses last week was to stop the run, and we did a pretty good job of that. It's one of our big goals this week, too. We'll try to get our hands on them early."
    Injuries/Offensive Line woes

As for the Eagles offense, part of the news this week will be who can play and who can't. Pro Bowler Shawn Andrews has been listed as questionable after leaving Monday Night's game with back spasms. Although he is reportedly improving, Reuben Frank thinks he unlikely to play this weekend. Starting in his place would be Max Jean Gilles. Elsewhere along the offensive line, center Jamal Jackson missed practice twice this week for what the team is calling "personal reasons." He is expected to play on Sunday.

Good news on the injury front is that WR Reggie Brown says he's "ready to go", but with Desean Jackson putting up big numbers at Reggie's position in his absence what kind of role will Reggie have?
    "I don't know," Brown said. "My role is to go out there and make plays whenever plays are needed. It's like a jack-in-the-box. Crank it up and see what comes out."
    The general thought is that Reggie should end up starting opposite Jackson in the role normally filled by Kevin Curtis.

This is a game of two very contrasting offensive philsophies. The Eagles are heavy pass first and the Steelers are heavy run first. Just to underscore the point, Ben Roethlisberger has thrown 36 passes in two games this year.... Donovan McNabb threw 37 passes last week.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Dawkins is right, Heath is such a weapon and damn near impossible to stop in the middle of the field. He's got that uncanny ability to get open and plus being such a big target with soft hands it makes him a great weapon for Ben. If I'm Arians I am using Heath every chance I get because he's money 95% of the time atleast. We have 2 huge TE's that can both catch, I want to see Spaeth used more.

The fact that the eagles LB corp was good against the Rams isn't saying much; and then Dallas goes in and torches them for 40 points. We need to exploit that middle of the field as much as possible on sunday and really wear down the defense.

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    Rams vs cowboys - How do they compare that matchup. Hello - its not even a conversation......

I see a 17-13 steelers win here. gonna be a fist fight and the steelers come out with just a bit more swagger. Its superbowl time baby.

I feel ya TG.Heath is a weapon we can use down there in Philly. The thing about him is he is not easy to bring down when he is in stride either. He always wants to get those extra yards , and he is never given them ,he takes them,by force. For the most part you never see one guy bringing him down. Arians has got to be unpredictable with what we bring in my book. If we can keep the ball in our hands,it is not in Philly's hands. To Chew up the the clock ,and score even a field goal,will go a long way in this game. If we can get through this game without making a single punt,that would be sweet.Our boys must work in tandom to make this game a success. I know that,they know it,i think we all know it. I say that the special teams set the tone for this game. Nobody thinks about them,but they are always looming as a question mark. Philly is probably thinking that too. It has got to be driving our special teams crazy to be hearing all of the critics cutting them down. They can make a strong statement in this game.When was the last time we blocked a punt or a field goal? Those boys need to step up. Rarely can you be average and excell. Special team play.good coaching,and solid defense will be the key to us winning this game.The offense doing thier job,keeping the ball from the other guys will only magnify the situation,and make it a success.

"When you look at our schedule, it seems like every week we're facing a great tight end, and he's another one," Eagles safety Quintin Mikell said. "I'm pretty sure they're going to try to work him in there, seeing what happened last week, and we've got to be ready for that."

HaHaHa...Quintin already making an excuse for getting beat. This is by far the weakest link in the Eagles D. I look for Heath to have 2 TD's. Although I think Dawkins will play better than did last week.

If a huge advantage for the Steelers if Andrews doesn't play. Max Jean isn't any where close to being as good. Reggie Brown coming back is a plus for the Steelers. Him and McNabb really don't have great chemistry even though he's supposedly their number one receiver.

My Mood
    Addicted
    we score 41points on them Big Ben has an 5 touchdown pass day, with Jeff Reed scoring 2 field goals, the Eagles will score 28 points. but we get the WIN

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This would be an excellent week to break out Spaeth too..nobody would be expecting him to make an impact because they'll all be watching for Miller. Spaeth is such a massive target and would be absolute money in the red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This would be an excellent week to break out Spaeth too..nobody would be expecting him to make an impact because they'll all be watching for Miller. Spaeth is such a massive target and would be absolute money in the red zone.
    I want to see Mende, Moore and Spaeth start contributing. I really think this is the game where we actually may make it past "Page 1" of the offensive and defensive playbooks. With this Johnson led defense, I'd love to see us line up ina 2 TE set:

2 WRs: Hines/Holmes
    2 TEs: Miller/Spaeth
    1 RB: Take your pick

So much can be done from this formation, and it would maximize every offensive weapon we have. Working this formation with short passes/draws/dives/screens would really keep that D honest. Its an added bonus that all 3 of our backs can catch and run well.

With week one and two being as they were, i really dont see how philly could have much film on what we have in the arsenal. Guys like Nate, MeMo, Mende, Spaeth even DB or Sweed havent even been used!!!

Thread Information