Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 43 years later, Steelers looking to win in Philly

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

43 years later, Steelers looking to win in Philly

PITTSBURGH -- In only a week's time, the Pittsburgh Steelers will go from playing in an opposing city where they almost never lose to one where they've never won.

At least during the lifetime of any of their current players.

After beating the Cleveland Browns for the 10th consecutive time, the Steelers (2-0) travel across Pennsylvania on Sunday to play in Philadelphia (1-1) - a city where they haven't won in eight games or 43 years, or two stadiums ago for the Eagles.

"Really? 1965? I wasn't even born yet," wide receiver Hines Ward said Wednesday. "What happens then, that's history. It's definitely going to be a challenge, there's no question."

Talk about ancient history. The Eagles played in Franklin Field in 1965; the Steelers never won any of their three regular season game in Veterans Stadium, during irregular appearances dictated by a now-abandoned NFL scheduling format in which AFC teams sometimes didn't play in NFC cities for years. They have yet to play in Lincoln Financial Field.

To these Steelers, the Eagles will be a difficult enough team to beat, regardless of their own franchise's terrible history in Philadelphia.

Despite losing Monday night in Dallas, the Eagles are second in the NFL in scoring (37.5 points per game) and Donovan McNabb is second with 642 yards passing and DeSean Jackson is fourth in receiving with 216 yards.

Despite the Steelers' infrequent trips to Philadelphia and the number of fans they have in central and northeastern Pennsylvania, they expect the atmosphere in Philadelphia to be as anti-Steelers as it was Sunday night in Cleveland.

"It's going to be crazy in Philly. It's probably worse than in Cleveland; I think they don't like us more than Cleveland doesn't like us," running back Willie Parker said.
    Wow, I never knew that it's been that long since the Steelers won in Philly.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I think we win this running away. Yeah it could be close or we could even lose, but I doubt we lose this game. This is a new age of Steeler, and Ben has never played in Philly. None of these guys have. How long has it been since we were even over there? Philly is good for an NFC team, but I dont think they stack up to us.
    But I geuss we will see.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    It'll be basic football. We need to score when we have the ball and the D needs to stop them. Anything else and we will lose. Philly is good enough to worry about right now.
    That siad, I do believe the boys will go in there and kick some a$$!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    I like our chances, at least with good weather, and a admirable opponent, we will be able to judge our team a little bit better after Sun

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

I like our chances to win this game. I am looking forward to seeing how we play against a pretty good team in the league. It should be fun!
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

My Mood
    Smokin
    wow...time for a change...

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Addicted
    I really believe we pull this one out, the score will b 41 Pittsburgh an 28 Eagles, we wil contain McNabb an Westbrook

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersgal86 View Post
    wow...time for a change...
    I know. When was the last time we were there? I cant even remember. I know the last time we played them. What about preseason? Has Ben ever even been there?

Waterboy
    We dont run away with this one...

This is going to be a tough game. If we win by 10+ I'll be really pleased. Philly plays fast and has a good passing defense. Asante Samuel is no pushover, and the safeties are good. We need to pound the ground game, and Parker has to come up big.

If we can hold the ball longer with a drawn out running game, then Ben can pick them apart with play action. Otherwise, we're in for a long day. If parker cant get past the front four of Philly, its over. We need at least another 100 yards out of him.

On another note, they have such a versatile offense and their checkdowns tend to turn into first downs. We have to watch westbrook and smother the receivers.

My score is Pittsburgh 24-20

i think this game is overrated, we both have respectable clubs but our defense is gonna make the difference....jackson, baskett and brown dont exactly strike fear into the hearts of a talented defense like ours.

i thought we played them in philly during bens rookie year and demolished the 7-0 eagles

Thread Information