Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Mendenhall only returning kicks?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Why is Mendenhall only returning kicks?

The dude is a 1st round draft pick, we need to get him out on the field. He's had exactly 10 rushing attempts in 2 games. I know Willie is the unquestioned starter on this team and that's as it should be. He's earned it and he's playing very well so far this year. He's got 53 carries so far to Rashard's 10?

If we brought this guy in to spell Willie then why not get him some significant playing time. Perhaps he's still a bit in the dog house with the fumbles from preseason or maybe the game plan just hasn't presented itself with time for him to get on the field. Either way this kid can be something special but he needs experience. Why not stick him in for a series or 2 each week and let's watch him start making an impact. Maybe he just gets 10 touches a game so far, or 15. Sometimes more or less depending on how the game unfolds.

Personally I don't think he's real suited to be out there returning kicks anyways but atleast he's on the field doing something. Yeah I know we're heading into week 3 but if God forbid something would happen to force Willie to the sidelines then it would help to have your star backup atleast know which direction the first down marker is in

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I think it has a lot to do with FWP's performance coming back from a broken leg and his fumbling in the preseason. Granted Rashard is a 1st rounder but he still has to earn his way onto the field, fumbling like he did cut his time down.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Well game 2 was windy and rainy... and hes hasnt proved he can hold onto the ball. So putting him in those conditions is gonna work.

Plus Willie has been playing excellent...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    IMO the conditions keep Mendenhall from getting more playing time then he did. I see his time picking up as we move deeper into the schedule, he is too good to be on the bench while the offense is on the field.

Fresh legs in the playoffs can be the answer to beating teams with big D-Line. I see the Steelers using Mendenhall by week 12 in some of their more exotic formations.

they gotta let mendy get some momentum. they just can't throw him in there once every 2 games and expect him to do anything. i think arians' is a friggin idiot. i know it's more his decision than tomlin's. i'm starting to see some trends from 2007 and i'm not liking it.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If they gave him about 10 touches a game just to start out with atleast that would be good right now. Figuring the conditions were going to suck and having a wet,slippery football maybe Tomlin doesn't have the confidence in Mendenhall yet from his fumbling in preseason but still the kid has to learn sometime. Running backs need time to get into the flow of the game, if Willie loosens them up then get him in there for a couple series each game. He's good out of the backfield too which gives Ben another weapon.

rashard has got to be somewhat frustrated by this. he has some idea that his coaches might not have faith in him holding onto the ball. i'm just worried this will mentally affect him.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Rashard Mendenhall: Not Ready for Prime Time

Update: Pittsburgh limited Mendenhall to special teams play Sunday night in Cleveland.
    Recommendation: With the dicey weather conditions, coach Mike Tomlin decided to keep Mendenhall off of the field during all of Pittsburgh’s offensive snaps. The first-year running back muffed one of his two kickoff returns and contributed little to the Steelers’ success. At some point Mendenhall will become fantasy relevant, but that’s certainly not yet the case.

RotoWire**

In week one we heard from players that they ran a very vanilla offense and defense... almost preseason like. We didnt see much more in Week 2 either. I expect to see ALOT more in week 3 because i dont expect us to totally dominate McNabb and Phillys "O" like we did in weeks 1&2.

He got 10 carries in week one cause it was a blow out and we saw early willie was back to form. In week 2 he had zero carries because it was a close game, and he hasnt proven he has rectified his ball security issues. Add that to the weather we had and its not too suprising he didnt get any carries!

Thread Information