Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to say this division race is over after last night?? Here is why...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    colts-hater

Is it too early to say this division race is over after last night?? Here is why...

I know it's way too early to look ahead but what the hell Im gonna do it anyway and pretty much say it is over with that win last night in Cleveland unless the Steelers completely fall apart. The Steelers are now 3 games virtually ahead of the Browns with the tiebraker in hand, and are also two games ahead of the Bengals already who look like they might not even win 2 games this year and have to go to New York and Dallas 2 out of the next 3 weeks in games which they have no chance of winning period.

The Ravens at this point at 1-0 look like the biggest threat since we still dont know much about them and their defense is still pretty solid and the Steelers will play them here at Heinz Field on Monday night in 2 weeks. However, the reason I say this division race is for all practical purposes over is because if you look at the schedule the next 2 weeks the Browns,Ravens,and Bengals all play each other and are all going to beat each other up and build up the losses for each of them. The Browns play at Baltimore and at Cincy the next 2 weeks in games they absolutely MUST win. The Ravens play the Browns and of course the Steelers the next 2 weeks, and the Bengals play at the Giants this week in a game that they have absolutely no chance to win, then host the Browns, then have a game at Dallas which they once again have no shot of winning. The bottom line is with the Bengals they are staring hard at 0-5 with that upcoming schedule and are pretty much a non-factor in this division race period. So while I dont want to say this division race is officially over but Ill say this much if the Steelers win the next 2 games and get to 4-0 and already own tiebrakers over the Browns and Ravens head to head then you can pretty much forget about it. In fact, I will go one step further and say that if the Steelers beat the Eagles this week this division race is over because there is no way that the Ravens with a rookie head coach and a rookie QB in Joe Flacco are coming into Heinz Field on Monday night football where the Steelers havent lost in 17 years since 1991 and winning.

All of a sudden now the schedule in October with games at the Jags and at the Bengals after the bye week doesnt look very hard at all. The Jags are at 0-2 and have a ton of injury problems and are staring hard at 0-3 this week having to go to Indianapolis and try to get a win. So while the Jags do always beat the Steelers and it wont be an easy game it's looking more and more like the Steelers can and should win that game in Jacksonville in 3 weeks on Sunday night.

The bottom line is I think the key game is this Sunday in Philadelphia if the Steelers find a way to go in there and win then looking at the next 3 games after that with the Ravens,Jags,and Cincy I dont want to start talking too crazy but this Steelers team has a very very legit shot to start out at 6-0. As I mentioned before though the win in Cleveland was huge last night and it pretty much will allow the Steelers barring a major collapse it will allow the Steelers to control the AFC North for the remainder of the season and pretty much have it wrapped up should the Steelers win the next 2 weeks against Philadelphia and Baltimore and start 4-0. There is just no way that the Ravens,Bengals,and Browns will be able to catch the Steelers if they are 4-0 when the Steelers will already have tiebrakers in hand on the Browns and Ravens and the Bengals the other team probably wont even have a win yet and be 0-4. So after reading all of that is it so nuts for me to declare this division race over and as a fan start looking ahead down the road to possible bye weeks and homefield advantage possiblities already?? Thoughts guys please???
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 09-15-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Way to early to be getting into all this. I love our start but we still got 14 games to play , let's just take them one at a time !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Way to early to be getting into all this. I love our start but we still got 14 games to play , let's just take them one at a time !!
    Why is it too early every single point I make on my post and I know it's very long are legit reasons to why this division race is pretty much over unless the Steelers happen to lose Ben Roethlisberger for an extended period of time. As long as he plays the Steelers are going to win more games then they lose and the Browns,Ravens,and Bengals have absolutely no chance to catch the Steelers period. It's not too early at all in my opinion to break down the next few weeks of the schedule for the Browns,Ravens,and Bengals because they all play each other and play the Steelers.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    A lot can change in 6 weeks with teams. Good ones can fade out and hit with a rash of injuries and bad teams that are banged up can get healthy and make a run. As far as the division goes though we all know that the Ravens won't be a factor in the playoffs. The inexperience of Flacco and the injuries on that team will prove too much to overcome. The Bengals are a trainwreck, Palmer is suddenly not superman anymore, the defense still stinks, and they can't pull it all together. They'll win some games and maybe even help us out depending on who they can put down but as far as then making a major push for the post season it would take a miracle and they just don't have the horses on defense to keep up with people. Cleveland will win some games but right now they are off to a bad start and in a hole. They'll be licking their wounds for awhile and time will tell how they react. I don't think we'll run away with the division yet though, they'll keep it close enough that it will take until atleast December before things get irnoned out. We are bound to have a let down sooner or later and they'll win a few games here and there. What I don't want is to see us in a dog fight for the division heading into week 16, I'd like to have it sewn up by then but we'll see. Staring out 6-0 is a definitely possibility, we have the talent to it I have no doubt of that, but I want to see is how we play against tougher opponents to get a real feel for how this team is going to be this year. Until then it's too early.

these teams that are stinking now like the Jags, Colts, Chargers, etc. could very well begin to get healthy and on track by midway point of the season when we hit the tough part of the schedule. Right now looking at most of the teams in that stretch, no it doesn't look near as daunting as it did in August, however I'm reserving any type of judgment good or bad till we see how we are doing in October & November and how they are playing too. If we hit a rough spot for a couple weeks and the Browns get hot it'll be a close race.

Reppin' 724
    It's no where near over yet, we still have a very tough schedule ahead of us, and we all know the bungles, birds, and stains are going to be saving their best football the Steelers. Lets worry abotu next week, and out guys beating the iggles, instead of proclaiming ourselves AFC North champs already.

Besides, I only care about being one kind of champ.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    A lot can change in 6 weeks with teams. Good ones can fade out and hit with a rash of injuries and bad teams that are banged up can get healthy and make a run. As far as the division goes though we all know that the Ravens won't be a factor in the playoffs. The inexperience of Flacco and the injuries on that team will prove too much to overcome. The Bengals are a trainwreck, Palmer is suddenly not superman anymore, the defense still stinks, and they can't pull it all together. They'll win some games and maybe even help us out depending on who they can put down but as far as then making a major push for the post season it would take a miracle and they just don't have the horses on defense to keep up with people. Cleveland will win some games but right now they are off to a bad start and in a hole. They'll be licking their wounds for awhile and time will tell how they react. I don't think we'll run away with the division yet though, they'll keep it close enough that it will take until atleast December before things get irnoned out. We are bound to have a let down sooner or later and they'll win a few games here and there. What I don't want is to see us in a dog fight for the division heading into week 16, I'd like to have it sewn up by then but we'll see. Staring out 6-0 is a definitely possibility, we have the talent to it I have no doubt of that, but I want to see is how we play against tougher opponents to get a real feel for how this team is going to be this year. Until then it's too early.

these teams that are stinking now like the Jags, Colts, Chargers, etc. could very well begin to get healthy and on track by midway point of the season when we hit the tough part of the schedule. Right now looking at most of the teams in that stretch, no it doesn't look near as daunting as it did in August, however I'm reserving any type of judgment good or bad till we see how we are doing in October & November and how they are playing too. If we hit a rough spot for a couple weeks and the Browns get hot it'll be a close race.
    Ok let's just say we lose to either Philadelphia or the Jags which by the way I think we will lose probably one of those even though I hope we dont. But let's say we do even then the Steelers are not going to start out no worse then 5-1. Do you honestly think TG that the Ravens are going to beat the Steelers at home on a Monday night with Joe Flacco and Harbaugh as the rookie coach, and that the Bengals as horrific as they look have any chance to beat the Steelers in Cincy where the Steelers have owned them?? Even if the Browns do get a few wins here the next couple weeks it's still not going have me worried about them because the Steelers much like last year own the tiebraker over them for the rest of the season which is virtually a 3 game lead. Plus, the Browns have 4 out of their next 5 games on the road and all of those 5 games are tough and no gimmies. The next 5 games for the Browns include at Baltimore and at Cincy which are both division games on the road and never easy to win especially for a team like the Browns. Hell the Browns lost in Cincy last year and needed a miracle FG by Dawson at the buzzer last year to get a win in Baltimore. After those 2 games the Browns have a game in Cleveland on a Monday night against the Giants who play great on the road and look very strong so far through 2 games, Then, after that they have games back to back weeks at Washington and at Jacksonville in which case both of those teams by then seeing that it will be mid-October will be in MUST win situations playing at home and are going to need those games just as badly if not more then the Browns will. So the Browns might indeed win a few games the next couple weeks and right the ship but they wont win them all which they basically are going to have to do after they lost to the Steelers last night. So when you break it all down I see the Steelers going 3-1 at the very worst the next 4 games which will put them at 5-1 after the Bengals game in mid-October.

Do you really see the Browns winning these next 5 games at Baltimore,at Cincy,Giants,at Wash and at the Jags?? I sure dont. At best they will go 3-2 I think in those 5 games and even that is a stretch at this point. If they do go 3-2 though it would still only put them at 3-4 and still 2 1/2 games behind the Steelers at 5-1 who would have the tiebraker in hand. The Browns to have any shot to win this division need to knock off about 4 or 5 wins in a row and need the Steelers to slip up and lose 2 or 3 in a row and that is just not going to happen. All you have to do is look at the Browns players after that loss to the Steelers last night and it showed how dejected they already are and that they dont have the kind a character a team needs to rip off 4 or 5 wins in a row. This Steelers team is a lot better this year from what I can see already and a lot more focused to let that happen.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    It's no where near over yet, we still have a very tough schedule ahead of us, and we all know the bungles, birds, and stains are going to be saving their best football the Steelers. Lets worry abotu next week, and out guys beating the iggles, instead of proclaiming ourselves AFC North champs already.

Besides, I only care about being one kind of champ.
    The Ravens and Bengals arent beating the Steelers this year period whether they play their best football or not. I know the Ravens always beat the Steelers in Baltimore but that game isnt until December. The game with the Ravens in 2 weeks is here on Monday night and the Ravens arent going come in here with a rookie QB and win it wont happen. The Bengals look horrific and by the time they play the Steelers in mid-October they will be in complete shambles and just have no chance with their pathetic defense to slow the Steelers down. If the Bengals couldnt even beat Joe Flacco and Kerry Collins with their defense how in the hell do you expect them to beat Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker and the Steelers defense as good as they are.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 09-15-2008 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ravens will give us fits because they have a good DEF. It all comes down to who stays healthy. Same as it does every year. However, this year as many years in the past we are the best team in our division, and should win it.
    Also I think the Jags healthy or not will lose to us because we are the better team. If we play that way, we win. Lets just hope we still have Parker. Thats the only reason they beat us the 2nd time. If the season continues to play out this way it will be the Steelers VS Broncos in the AFC championship. I just hope this time we play them here. But a lot can happen in 14 weeks.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post

Agree, and there is no such thing as a sure win in the NFL.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nah I don't see the Ratbirds beating us, I think our defense will drive Flacco nuts and we'll be able to confuse him early and often which will eventually allow the pressure to start being an even bigger factor. Im not so much concerned about them although with the Ratbirds it's always a physical, ugly game no matter if it's a blow out or not. I never look past them because this rivalry is always rough and records go out the window. If we get up early on them by a couple TD's it'll be over.

On paper yes we should be 5-1 or 6-0, but we all know tons of things can happen. IF we take care of business things could very well fall into place for us. Your breakdowns are usually very logical and baring the unforseen it's a very doable scenario. The AFCN is not a great division this year so it's ours for the taking. Having said that this team has found a way over the years to let golden opportunities slip through their fingers time and time again even as recent as last year so we need prove we can handle adversity and play our best football against the best teams. IF and I say IF we can do that then I definitely like our chances.

Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar
    I'm never going to complain about winning, but the two teams we beat didn't show up. Who knows what the Texans have - but in wk 1 - they looked like they weren't ready. The Browns played ok defensively - but their playmakers dropped a bunch of passes and I think the weather effected them more than us.

No excuses - we won. But don't start ordering your tickets to the SB yet. We haven't exactly played great either. I think our oline is getting too much love - particularly for pass pro. Ben doesn't drop back much - rarely holds the ball for more than a second and is sacked/ knocked down way too often. We are getting better push in the running game but - if we don't protect #7 - we don't compete for a championship. Ask Tom Brady.

The defense is the same as it always is - great against the run and hold your breath on third down. The pass rush has some potential, but it hasn't exactly been intimidating so far this year.

Im not a hater - I think this team is going to be great, but we are a work in progress. Early in the season a lot of good teams struggle. Cowers teams did. We drew a great couple of games to start the season. If we look strong against the Eagles (who have it together early) I think that will tell us a lot more about who we are than the first two games.

Thread Information