Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hartwig will be key this weekend

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Hartwig will be key this weekend

Hartwig will get a good test vs Shaun Rogers this weekend, although considering how poorly they played last weekend maybe not Dallas' offensive line is one of the best in football so it's no wonder Cleveland had problems. I don't think Rogers is as good a fit for their defense as they think and a stoudt Center should be able to handle him, Hartwig will be key this weekend. He talks about the challenge this weekend here in an article in the PG

The offensive linemen did not get 48 hours to bask in their first-game success when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin rubbed the glow off their mugs.

On Tuesday, before the first question was fired, Tomlin pointed smack to the middle of his offensive line to present the biggest challenge of the next game.

He called new Cleveland Browns nose tackle Shaun Rogers "a very big, powerful and athletic man," then put the onus square on his own new center.

"We will get to know a little bit more about Justin Hartwig pretty quickly here this weekend," Tomlin said. Rogers "is going to be a force to be reckoned with."

Hartwig's reaction?

"I'm not going to worry about what people say. I'm just going to concentrate on what I'm doing. That's all I can do."

Yet Hartwig, 6 feet 4 and listed at 312 pounds, agreed with his coach that blocking the 6-4 nose tackle, who is listed at 350 pounds, will put him and the line to a test.

"Typically, a lot of teams do a lot of double-teams on him and for good reason. He gets vertical push on centers and that's going to be the challenge. We'll have to try to get a couple guys on him."

So many nose tackles got vertical pushes -- a k a beat him like a drum -- on Sean Mahan last season that he's back in Tampa Bay today. Mahan, who began the season weighing about 300 pounds and proceeded to lose weight, could not handle the big nose tackles. That is why they signed Hartwig, who was a good center in Tennessee when he faced Rogers, then with Detroit, in 2004. Hartwig and the Titans held Rogers and the Lions sackless in a 24-19 victory that day.

"It went all right," Hartwig said of that meeting.

It won't just be Hartwig's job, the entire line will have to repeat their boffo opening-day performance. Hartwig will get help from his guards on Rogers, acquired in a trade from Detroit by the Browns to play in the middle of their 3-4 defense.

"You have a guy that big, you're not going to leave one guy on him unless you find a center his size," guard Kendall Simmons said. "You double-team him."

The Steelers' offensive line took its own bows after their 38-17 victory against Houston. They easily were the biggest question coming into this season, especially after Ben Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times last year, second most in franchise history.

It won't be just up to Hartwig , the whole line has to keep playing like that!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

rogers will have to be double teamed. that's not saying anything bad about hartwig, it's just that rogers is damn good. i believe, throughout the game, that rogers' conditioning will get the best of him. but kemo has to step up while rogers is being double teamed. WE NEED TO PROTECT BEN... PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!!!
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    They looked great, our O line, run blocking. And run blocking is more difficult than pass blocking. hopefully our game plan will keep them on thier toes, and this will help our O line also. We had great play calling last week.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I agree Rogers will be a load to handle but not for more than a 1/4 . Then as yinzer said he'll wear down and the running game will take off.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Is Rogers the same player that kept having his helmet popping off his mellon all day against the boys?
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I'm just not ready to say the Steeler o-line is looking good... they've only played one game! I would like to see them continue that trend and give Ben the protection he needs and open up holes that FWP really needs! After I see some consistency then I'll be content to say the line has improved.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I'm just not ready to say the Steeler o-line is looking good... they've only played one game! I would like to see them continue that trend and give Ben the protection he needs and open up holes that FWP really needs! After I see some consistency then I'll be content to say the line has improved.
    Remember we beat them last year twice with Mahan.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Hartwig will be key every week. He's the center, and the most impoortant part of the team. If he fails, the entire O-line fails.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I say use the no huddle frequently and gas that fat pig Shaun Rogers....Tire that fat *** out and he will be worthless......I'm can't wait for this game....I'm so tired of hearing about the Browns and I can't wait to see the Steelers stomp them....

Thread Information