Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison sounds off...

Bookmark and Share
    Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Harrison sounds off...

Steelers' Harrison on the attack

The way the Steelers bullied Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub was reminiscent of what they did to Cleveland Browns quarterback Charlie Frye in the first game of the 2007 season. Their 38-17 pasting of the Texans bodes well for the kind of start the Steelers enjoyed last season when they won four of their first five games.
    What James Harrison, who served as the leader of the Steelers' sack parade Sunday, doesn't want to see this season is a repeat of what happened at the end of 2007, when the team lost four of its final five games. "We got a little burned out toward the end of last year," Harrison said Monday, "and I don't think it really had that much to do with the games as far as what we did the whole year; practicing where we were just banging every day." When asked if Steelers coach Mike Tomlin needs to consider adjusting the practice schedule later in the season to account for tired legs, Harrison said, "Yeah, you need to lighten up. You've seen how it did us last year. If that's not a good enough example, I don't know what is." Harrison doesn't just have the subtlety of a jackhammer. He is as relentless as one too. Texans rookie left tackle Duane Brown and Schaub found that out Sunday at Heinz Field. The fifth-year veteran dropped Schaub three times and forced a turnover with one of his sacks. Somewhere, Kevin Greene had to be smiling. The former Steelers linebacker, who is third on the NFL's all-time sacks list, worked with Harrison and LaMarr Woodley during camp on their pass-rushing moves. For one game at least, they showed why they might be the best pass-rushing tandem the Steelers have had at outside linebacker in more than a decade. Greene said during camp that Woodley has chance to be better than he was. All Woodley did in his first career start was record a sack, intercept a pass and recover the fumble that Harrison caused in the fourth quarter. "That's why we are optimistic about what we are capable of doing," said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin whose team visits the Browns on Sunday night. "Because of those guys." Even better, Harrison and Woodley acknowledge they will make each other better because of competition between them. "For both of us, playing the same position on opposite sides of the ball, you want to try to outdo the other person on the other side of the ball," said Harrison, who had 8 1/2 sacks last season. "He's two up," Woodley said, "but I'll catch him." What Harrison does not want is the fatigue that he said played a factor in the Steelers' late-season malaise in 2007. "You're padded up, hitting each other every day, and you're in Week 15, 16," said Harrison, who didn't have a sack in the Steelers' final five regular-season games. "You're still doing the same thing that you were doing in Week 1, and it takes wear and tear on your body." The Steelers have some depth at linebacker, and Lawrence Timmons spelled Harrison during one series Sunday. One thing the Steelers don't have to worry about with Harrison is complacency. The Steelers cut the 6-foot, 242-pounder three times before he stuck with the team, and he has never forgotten what it took for him to get where he is. That much was evident when Harrison said he didn't allow himself so much as five minutes to enjoy what he did in the Steelers' season opener. "Why? It's one game," Harrison said. "The next 15 games we could lose."

He is stepping it up for the D will be one of the Top LB Units in the NFL this year
    Last edited by NOVA STEELERS; 09-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Somewhere, Kevin Greene had to be smiling.
    You know he was grinning because everyone in Steeler Nation was on Sunday!!

Something happened last year towards the end, because the Steelers just weren't the same... hopefully history doesn't repeat itself!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    We need someone to step and take the leadership role. Harrison works for me.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Harrison reminds me so much of Lloyd more and more each week it's not even funny. He's got the same intensity on the field, the same drive to get better, he's not afraid to shoot his mouth off no matter who the topic is about. He's developing into 1 helluva linebacker and considering that even though he's 30 he doesn't have near the miles on him that most NFL players do at that age. This guy has the potential to go down as one of the all time greats in team history if he continues to play well and improve.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Harrison has a chance to be as good as.....well, maybe not that good! But he will be a good one.

I'm A "Champion"

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked

Harrison doens't emphasize stats
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com
    Not many would argue that linebacker James Harrison’s stats were impressive from Sunday’s 38-17 win over the Houston Texans at Heinz Field, unless of course you are James Harrison.

“It was all right,” said Harrison of his performance.

That is quite the understatement. Harrison had three sacks, two quarterback hurries, a forced fumble, six solo tackles and two assists.

“I don’t look at all of that,” said Harrison. “Sacks are good. I am working for sacks. It was an okay game. I don’t look at stats. I don’t look at sports. The most sports I look at are when I come in here and watch ESPN, other than that I am home watching cartoons.”

With the way he performed on Sunday, those poor cartoon characters wouldn’t stand a chance.

Harrison is a fiery linebacker, a no-nonsense guy who lets his play do the talking on the field and doesn’t like to sit back and enjoy the glow of a win for even a minute.

“We were over with it after the game was over with,” said Harrison of the Texans game. “We are looking at Cleveland now. It’s one game. We are playing Cleveland next.”

Competition is something that Harrison thrives on. Whether it’s from that week’s opponent or among his teammates, he loves it. That might be the only reason he ever peeks at sack numbers, to make sure he is getting more than fellow outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

“It’s going to be a competition like that, even if it’s just a friendly competition we want to go out there and do the best that we can,” said Harrison. “Both of us playing the same position, just on opposite sides of the ball, you want to try to out do the other person. It is just the nature of competition.”

Woodley had an impressive opening game as well, with a sack, interception and fumble recovery. It is plays like that, and the other ones made by the defense, that fires them up.

“The whole defense feeds off of anybody’s big plays,” said Harrison. “That’s just the way that we play.”

I am Looking forward to watching the D play on Sunday Night

god damnit i love harrison and woodley

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Harrison has a chance to be as good as.....well, maybe not that good! But he will be a good one.
    That's right, don't say it. Mighty Jack is still the man! But you gotta love Harrison's potential.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Maybe if he were only younger!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevestinks View Post
    We need someone to step and take the leadership role. Harrison works for me.
    I agree if only we could get him to do the Porter boot I miss that

Thread Information