Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good can this defense be in 08 ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

How good can this defense be in 08 ?

The big snack had a real solid day and was a major reason why the Texans couldn't run. Casey held his own and forced the ball carrier away from him every time. A quote straight from the big Twinkie himself thanks to the Trib.. "Like I said, it ain't about the preseason. It's about the regular season," Hampton said in the aftermath of the Steelers' crunching 38-17 win over the Houston Texans at Heinz Field. "My whole goal was to be ready for (the opener). I was ready." Keisel was getting a real good push up the middle and found himself in the backfield on several occasions yesterday. Aaron Smith though is just a monster, the guy is so powerful it makes you realize he shoud be a pro bowler every year. He is quite possibly the best overall draft pick of the Cowher era other than Big Ben and maybe Hines.

Eason showed he's got the stuff to be productive during his turn as well, he was playing very well yesterday and I was definitely impressed with his motor. Kirschke was even getting in on the action so you know things were going well. I like the make up of the DL right now; what was once thought of as a liability with no depth is now a pretty strong part of the team early on.

The linebackers we have now could potentially be the best this team has seen, even rivaling the famous Blitzburgh unit of Lloyd, Greene, Kirkland, and Brown. I really think this group ( including Timmons ) has the potential to be THAT good. It's early but these guys just bring it big time. Harrison is a combination of Lloyd and Greene all the way, he's got so much power in a compact frame that he just is able to get up underneath the big tackles and drive them backwards but still has enough speed to run around them too. In that article you can see how well both Harrison and Woodley get along, they are in a competition with each other to get better every week.

Even the defensive backs, including Troy really showed up yesterday and made it a point to tackle well and keep most everything in front of them. McFadden was great coming off the Bench and Townsend is showing just like Farrior that he hasn't lost a step either.

It's early in the season but right now the team is firing on all cylinders and confident.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-09-2008 at 01:05 AM.

Hampton has kind of went unnoticed here the first week... I specifically recall a play from Sunday where he man handled the Texans center and actually used him to make the tackle on the running back... it was something special and really displayed Hamptons strength and dominance in the trenches.

the defense is just plain scary. the front guys are still good. the linebacking core could be the best in stiller history. ike is can guard anybody. troy's back. etc etc etc. i just wonder why timmons isn't starting yet.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Big Hamp looked good sunday, did u c him push the center #55 n the ground? he an kiesel was an big reason why the Texans didn't convert that 4th an 1, but our L.B's was really the biggest difference, they got pressure all day, an my boy Woodley really has come 2 play this year.Plus we have an nice rotation of D-line help did u c N.Eason play?

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    How good can this defense be in 08 ?
    The answer to the original question is;

As good as we expect them to be!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's been a few years since we had a solid tandem at OLB. Gildon/Porter were great together but then after that Porter was the main focus and Haggans just never really was able to be that main guy you need in 34 defense. Now we've got that back and the strength of the 34 is one again the LB's, each one of them is capable of making a big play at any given moment. Lebeau must be salivating watching these guys on the field and the potential they have.

Draft Pick portcityblackandgold's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Defense has that scary type of potential. They will definitely record a shut out or two.

Anutha fine masterpiece by the picasso of sigs K-Train

If I were a QB that was going to face our D, I would be scared. They look amazing. I am glad to hear that Hampton played great!!!
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerschick1220 View Post
    If I were a QB that was going to face our D, I would be scared. They look amazing. I am glad to hear that Hampton played great!!!
    I wouldnt say he played "great". He was there, and he did hes thing, but not a whole lot more than that. Its still not the "double team on everyplay" hampton we are used to see.

I think we'll have a top 3 defence this year! We can be the best, if we show up to play football every week. I also believe we will need to see timmons play some more.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

^ Well, he did what he was supposed to, so I guess that is all that counts. I would love to see us have a top three D. That would be great.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Thread Information