Thread: The Starks contract disaster could hurt us next year

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The Starks contract disaster could hurt us next year

Just reading this article in the PG

The start of the regular season today means the end to another negotiating season for contract extensions with the Steelers.

The final tally: Ben Roethlisberger and James Farrior extended; Marvel Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden, Trai Essex, Max Starks, Nate Washington and Charlie Batch among those who enter their final seasons under contract and can become unrestricted free agents if they do not sign before Feb. 27. Add Byron Leftwich to that group and Willie Colon would become a restricted free agent.
    That's 4 starters, 2 key backups, and well Charlie is on IR anyways but you are talking a pretty big chunk of players there that the Steelers won't have time to talk to before FA begins after this season. It's unrealistic to think we will resign all of those players or even most of them. Possibly 1 or 2 but given the fact that we gave Starks 7 million to ride the bench took away the chance to work out deals with other players. Maybe we would have done it had we not resigned Starks and maybe not but we sure would have had a lot more money to do so had the front office not made one of the biggest contrac blunders in team history.

nate and kemo should be easy signs. mcfadden might want out and i dont expect smith or batch to be back

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Depending on what happens with Townsend next year will go a long way to how much McFadden wants to be back. If he has a good year this season he'll be gone I would think. Kemoeatu, if he has a good year I think we can get him back ( he's one of the couple that I feel good about our chances with) , Nate worries me a little bit though. If he has a real solid year somebody is going to throw a lot of money at him and I think he'll probably be gone but I'd love to see him back. As long as Hines is on this team and of course Holmes those 2 will be the starters. Sweed and Baker are up and coming so Nate might want to sow his oats elsewhere but we'll see.

not worried about someone throwing money at nate, maybe if he was an electrifying return man or something but he doesnt offer anything there and isnt a bryant johnson type player whos gonna be brought in to be a #1

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I expect Nate and Kemo to test the market and they should....Colon will be resigned since he is restricted...

I don't expect Marvel Smith or even Leftwich to be back....Smith will looked to get paid and Leftwich might want a starters gig....

I think McFadden will be gone also....

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Just reading this article in the PG

That's 4 starters, 2 key backups, and well Charlie is on IR anyways but you are talking a pretty big chunk of players there that the Steelers won't have time to talk to before FA begins after this season. It's unrealistic to think we will resign all of those players or even most of them. Possibly 1 or 2 but given the fact that we gave Starks 7 million to ride the bench took away the chance to work out deals with other players. Maybe we would have done it had we not resigned Starks and maybe not but we sure would have had a lot more money to do so had the front office not made one of the biggest contrac blunders in team history.
    I was just reading the same article this morning and was just wondering, Who did they get to poise for Ben because this picture doesn't even look like him.

I'll say, if they thought about bringing Smith back they would have done something with his contract already....Marvel Smith , Max Starks are as good as gone. Those 2 contacts alone should allow for them to sign
    Chris Kemoeatu, Bryant McFadden, Trai Essex, Nate Washington....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It would be a shame to see Nate go after we worked with him for so long and waited through the growing pains to have him just up and leave once he just starts to get good.

Thread Information