Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The battles for the final roster spots; Tomlin to announce cuts just before deadline

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The battles for the final roster spots; Tomlin to announce cuts just before deadline

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08241...?cmpid=HBEHTML

One of the other key battles will be for the fifth receiver position. Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and likely Limas Sweed have the team made. The fifth and final receiver position is between Willie Reid and Dallas Baker.

• Safety -- Veteran Tyrone Carter and rookie Ryan Mundy are battling for one spot. Mundy, who has been out since Aug. 8 with a high ankle sprain, did not play in the past two preseason games and will not play tonight.

• Cornerback -- Special teams standout Anthony Madison and undrafted rookie Roy Lewis are vying for one spot. Madison is a special-teams demon while Lewis, who played at the University of Washington, has been impressive in his first camp.

• Defensive end -- The Steelers brought in Orpheus Roye to push Ryan McBean, last year's fourth-round pick.

• Linebacker -- Third-round pick Bruce Davis, sixth-round pick Mike Humpal and veteran Andre Frazier could be fighting for one spot.

• Tight end -- The Steelers have kept three tight ends in the past. Lee Vickers and Dezmond Sherrod could be battling for one spot unless Tomlin uses backup tackle Max Starks as the third tight end.

• Offensive line -- If the Steelers keep 10 linemen, fourth-round pick Tony Hills likely will make the team. If not, they'll try to sneak him through to the practice squad.

• Punter -- Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster were brought in to replace injured starter Daniel Sepulveda. They will split the punting duties against Carolina. Ernster performed the punting duties in the first and third preseason games, Berger in the second. Ernster averaged 48 yards per punt last week against Minnesota.
    Man I really wanted to see Mundy come into camp and be impressive enough to win the job from Carter but I don't know if he showed enough before getting hurt to pull it off.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    One of the other key battles will be for the fifth receiver position. Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington and likely Limas Sweed have the team made. The fifth and final receiver position is between Willie Reid and Dallas Baker.This is a tough one as Reid has been a disappointment for two years,but I think he gets the nod and his last chance

• Safety -- Veteran Tyrone Carter and rookie Ryan Mundy are battling for one spot. Mundy, who has been out since Aug. 8 with a high ankle sprain, did not play in the past two preseason games and will not play tonight.Word is the Steelers really like Mundy, Ryan gets my vote

• Cornerback -- Special teams standout Anthony Madison and undrafted rookie Roy Lewis are vying for one spot. Madison is a special-teams demon while Lewis, who played at the University of Washington, has been impressive in his first camp. Don't know why but I think they both make the team

• Defensive end -- The Steelers brought in Orpheus Roye to push Ryan McBean, last year's fourth-round pick. Bye,Bye McBean

• Linebacker -- Third-round pick Bruce Davis, sixth-round pick Mike Humpal and veteran Andre Frazier could be fighting for one spot. Davis make it for the simple fact he's a third round pick

• Tight end -- The Steelers have kept three tight ends in the past. Lee Vickers and Dezmond Sherrod could be battling for one spot unless Tomlin uses backup tackle Max Starks as the third tight end. Dezmond Sherrod has played very well,I like his chances

• Offensive line -- If the Steelers keep 10 linemen, fourth-round pick Tony Hills likely will make the team. If not, they'll try to sneak him through to the practice squad. Hill has potential but a long way to go,practice squad.

• Punter -- Mitch Berger and Paul Ernster were brought in to replace injured starter Daniel Sepulveda. They will split the punting duties against Carolina. Ernster performed the punting duties in the first and third preseason games, Berger in the second. Ernster averaged 48 yards per punt last week against Minnesota. I'm going with Ernster because of his ability to kickoff deep.Not that he'll ever get the chance to kickoff during the season.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hills make this team, no way they let a prospect like him slip to the PS or somebody will snatch him up. Considering our Tackle situation now and heading into 2009 it should be almost a given that Hills will be on the roster with the potential he's got and the lack of bodies we may have at that position next offseason.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Madison is playing well tonight, I think his roster spot is pretty safe right now. He's a special teams demon as well which is a big plus.

i really really like roy lewis, and hills will make the final roster

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The team will make most of the cuts to get down to the 53 man roster today and then the final few will be saved for saturday. We're at 73 on the roster right now I think so a lot of guys are going to get the ax over the next 2 days.

You're right Train, Roy Lewis has had a real good camp and the coaches were saying they are pretty high on him.

Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    • Defensive end -- The Steelers brought in Orpheus Roye to push Ryan McBean, last year's fourth-round pick. Bye,Bye McBean
    [/COLOR]
    I hope McBean makes it. They've got to get younger up front - they shouldn't keep both Kirske and Roye.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelfordWexler View Post
    I hope McBean makes it. They've got to get younger up front - they shouldn't keep both Kirske and Roye.
    My thinking exactly...

Looks like we gotta wait until tomorrow

Tomlin will reveal Steelers cuts tomorrow
    Friday, August 29, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin reversed field today and will not announce any cuts from his 75-man roster until tomorrow's deadline.

Indications were yesterday that Tomlin would cut all but a handful of his players today even though he has until 6 p.m. tomorrow to do so.

The Steelers must reduce their roster to 53 players. Those rookies and first-year players who clear waivers will be eligible to join their 8-man practice squad.

Looks like we gotta wait until tomorrow

Tomlin will reveal Steelers cuts tomorrow
    Friday, August 29, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin reversed field today and will not announce any cuts from his 75-man roster until tomorrow's deadline.

Indications were yesterday that Tomlin would cut all but a handful of his players today even though he has until 6 p.m. tomorrow to do so.

The Steelers must reduce their roster to 53 players. Those rookies and first-year players who clear waivers will be eligible to join their 8-man practice squad.

Thread Information