Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers have a good shot to jump out to division lead early in the year.....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    panthers-hater

Steelers have a good shot to jump out to division lead early in the year.....

I been looking at the schedule the last few days for all 4 division teams the Steelers,Browns,Bengals,and Ravens and the way it sets up the first 3-4 games for each team if the Steelers take care of their own business for the most part and let's say even finish the month 3-1 they are going to be in total control of the division here pretty much for a good part of the year. I say this because if you look at the Browns,Bengals,and Ravens the first 3-4 games they are all going to play one another at least once which will give them all at least 1 probably 2 losses, plus aside from games against each other the Browns have games with Dallas and the Steelers the first two weeks followed by games at Baltimore and at Cincy. The best I see the Browns doing in that stretch is 2-2. If the Browns lose to Dallas the first week of the season and the Steelers beat Houston then that game in Cleveland on Sunday night in week 2 pretty much becomes a MUST win game for the Browns because if they lose that game to the Steelers they would then be virtually 3 games behind them already losing the tiebraker. If that happens the Browns will really start questioning themselves and could possibly fall apart very early on in the year.

The Ravens have a game with Cincy in Baltimore to open up which is a toss up either way one of them will have a loss, followed by a game at Houston which they will definitely lose I think,then they host Cleveland which once again will give another loss to a division team, then they play the Steelers here on Monday night which they will definitely lose as well. The best I see the Ravens doing in that stretch is 1-3. Lastly, the Bengals open up at Baltimore which again could go either way and regardless will give one of them at least one loss already. Then, they host Tennessee who is going to definitely want payback on them since they beat them very badly down in Cincy last season. Next they go to New York to play the Giants in a game they will definitely lose because Cincy can never win tough games on the road anymore. Then they come back home to host the Browns which again will give at least one of them another loss in the division, followed by a game at Dallas the next week which the Bengals will once again definitely lose. I see the Bengals going no better then 2-3 in their first 5 games but 1-4 is probably a safer bet. I see the Steelers going 3-1 in their first 4 games beating Houston and Baltimore here at home, and most likely splitting the games with the Browns and Eagles on the road.

If I had to pick one to lose I will say the Eagles because it's a non-conference game and it wont really have too much affect on tiebrakers of any sort. The Steelers could also win that game in Philly as well and maybe they run the table in September and go 4-0 who knows it's very very possible. The key game in this stretch is definitely week 2 against the Browns because they are the Steelers biggest threat. The Ravens and Bengals virtually have no chance to do anything in this division the way things look for them so far they have too many problems. So as I said above should the Browns lose to Dallas in Cleveland the first week of the season which by the way I think they will,and the Steelers beat the Texans here at home which I think they will if they win that game in Cleveland week 2 they pretty much have an excellent shot to control the division early on and possibly even run away with it.

all i ask is that the steelers dont beat themselves this year i dont want them to need any real help. however if the steelers start out 2-0 and the stains 0-2 then i will be pumped

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by $teelersRule View Post
    all i ask is that the steelers dont beat themselves this year i dont want them to need any real help. however if the steelers start out 2-0 and the stains 0-2 then i will be pumped
    The way things set up that is a very very strong possiblity as I stated. I dont see the Browns beating the Cowboys the first week even though the game is in Cleveland. I think it will be a very good game and might even be real close but I just think the Cowboys have too much offense for the Browns defense to shut down and in the end they will find a way to win. I dont look for the Houston game here either to be a gimmie game by any means. The Texans are very well balanced on both sides of the ball and can score a lot of points. The Steelers will have to play a solid game to beat the Texans which I feel they will do and since they usually play well and win in the home opener a lot of the time I think they will be able to find a way and beat Houston in a fairly close game. But as you stated if the Browns should fall to 0-2 and the Steelers beat Houston and the Browns and go to 2-0 and get the tiebraker already over the Browns that will put them virtually 3 games up on the Browns and that will make it very very hard for the Browns to overcome and make up the rest of the season because just like the Steelers the Browns have a very tough schedule as well.

i really hope the steelers can go into the bye 4-1. They will have the division lead at that point as well. after that they have a tough scheduale but if they can just go 6-5 they will be 10-6. I beleive they will win the division with that record as well.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    I definitely think they can go 6-2 or at the very worst 5-3 through their first 8 games in which they play 5 of those first 8 games on the road. If they are able to do this then they will finish up with 5 of their final 8 games at home in November and December. There will be a stretch starting after the Monday night game on November 3rd in Washington where the Steelers will play 4 out of their next 5 games at home including 3 games in a row at home in November against the Colts,Chargers and Bengals. In fact the only road game they have and the only time they will have to travel and have to get on an airplane between November 3rd and December 14th is the game in New England on November 30th in which they will have a ten day break beforehand seeing that they play the Bengals the week before on Thursday night November 20th. So virtually the Steelers basically are going to be home the whole month of November. I think that stretch right there of having all those games at home right in the middle of crunch time in the middle of the season, and not having to travel or go anywhere all but once in a 6 week period, is going to be very very beneficial for the Steelers in terms of being able to stay relaxed and focused on just playing football, and continuing to win games and put themselves in a great position to make the playoffs and get a high seed.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 08-26-2008 at 06:57 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    the division seems like it will take pretty much atleast into mid December to find a winner, looking at our schedule it's split right down the middle for us as far as AFCN foes go. 3 games in the first half of the season and 3 in the 2nd half. The ravens will essentially be out of it by then IMO and the Bengals will probably be a .500 team heading into December which means that the showdown at Heinz, Dec. 28 will more than likely decide the division or at the very least put it out of reach for one of the 2 remaining teams.

the stretch of games for us in the middle where we have the colts, chargers, pats, cowboys, & giants is going to make or break us. I like our chances in every game before that stretch and every game afterwards so at this point, on paper of course, we will probably have to go atleast 3-2 in those games to stay in the lead of the division or in the hunt for it.

You have a lot of definate losses in there for our division foes,and it all seems pretty plausible.However, predictions do not include variables such as injury,and such. Weather,can also play a roll. Preparation,i would not think to be a problem for us,i am sure that Tomlin and company are familiar with our schedule. I think us not being predictable on our play calling,and playing our greedy steeler d,will be our best way to come out leading our div.There must be execution from all of our units carrying out thier roles. Special teams first!!!!!!!Offense,and a shut em down, get the ball back defense! Pressure on the old Qb would help, I would like to see a + turnover ratio too. I have faith in our coaching staff that our o-line can be up to the task.They must have something up thier sleeves,i am not a genious,but i can get that drift.What it might be i am not sure,but i can't help to think that is there.They do have something up thier sleeve.I think it is more on the offensive side of the ball.If we play sound,fudamental football,i think we can compete with anyone that our schedule places in our midst.We are gonna have to without choice,to get where we want to go........The Super Bowl baby!!!!

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    I agree with everything you say TG with the exception of the Bengals being a .500 team at the beginning of December. There is no way they make it into December with a .500 record with their schedule. They have games at Dallas,the Giants,Indy, and the Steelers. Not to mention tough games at Houston and the Jags as well. I dont see them winning any of those games which will put them at 6 or 7 losses maybe even more heading into December easily. The bottom line is the Ravens and Bengals are a complete mess and have no chance of competing reaslitically in this division. As I stated above should the Browns lose their opener to Dallas and the Steelers win their opener against Houston then beat the Browns the next week in Cleveland and go virtually 3 games up on them 2-3 weeks into the season that will be very very hard for the Browns to overcome.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    I agree with everything you say TG with the exception of the Bengals being a .500 team at the beginning of December. There is no way they make it into December with a .500 record with their schedule. They have games at Dallas,the Giants,Indy, and the Steelers. Not to mention tough games at Houston and the Jags as well. I dont see them winning any of those games which will put them at 6 or 7 losses maybe even more heading into December easily. The bottom line is the Ravens and Bengals are a complete mess and have no chance of competing reaslitically in this division. As I stated above should the Browns lose their opener to Dallas and the Steelers win their opener against Houston then beat the Browns the next week in Cleveland and go virtually 3 games up on them 2-3 weeks into the season that will be very very hard for the Browns to overcome.
    You're probably correct about the Bengals, making them a .500 team heading into december is most likely a bit generous considering the Johnson injury, the fact that their defense still stinks, the team chemistry is a disaster, etc. but just in case they do surprise some people and pull it together down the stretch, the best they'd be is .500 at that point and not a big factor in the divisional race.

Who are the Browns anyway?I am more concerned about the original ones,than the the ones who haven't beaten us since the disco age.(lol)
    The truth is that we are the supperrior team in our div.I am not concerned with the Browns.They suck and they will continue to do so.All the questions will be answered in due time.Troy is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information