Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's time in Pittsburgh soon over?

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Marvel's time in Pittsburgh soon over?

Could this Contract for Farrior mean the end for Marvel Smith......

The clock may be ticking on Marvel Smith's career in Pittsburgh.

The veteran left tackle said "it's pretty much guaranteed" that he will be playing elsewhere next season if he and the Steelers do not agree on a contract extension before the start of the regular season Sept. 7.

Smith, who protects the blind side of Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, is in the final year of his contract. The Steelers have a policy of not engaging in contract negotiations during the season.

The two sides have not had any substantial talks on a contract extension.

"Everybody who knows Marvel personally is well aware that it's not all about going to the highest bidder," said Ken Zuckerman, Smith's agent. "He doesn't like change and would definitely be open to working out a contract before the season. However, once the regular season starts with no extension in place, he will be forced to enter the free-agent market."
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

NO PROGRESS BETWEEN STEELERS, SMITH

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...teelers-smith/

Posted by Michael David Smith

Steelersleft tackle Marvel Smith sounds like a man who expects to finish his career somewhere other than Pittsburgh.

Smith is heading into the final year of his contract, and he and the Steelers are not close to an extension. And with the Steelers’ general policy of refusing to negotiate deals during the season, Smith tells the Pittsburgh Tribune-Reviewit’s pretty much guaranteed” that he will leave after the season, barring a long-term deal suddenly coming to fruition within the next couple of weeks.

Added Smith’s agent, Ken Zuckerman, “He doesn’t like change and would definitely be open to working out a contract before the season. However, once the regular season starts with no extension in place, he will be forced to enter the free-agent market.”

The key issue for Smith is whether he can stay healthy. He missed five games last year because of a back injury, but after surgery, Smith says he has plenty of good years left.

He may play those years for a new team.

if it is his final year with us, let's just hope he doesn't pull a faneca. i thought faneca played uninspired last season.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would really like to see Smith stick around and sign a 3 yr deal but he's going to want a Faneca type of contract and the team isn't going to pay him that much. Our tackle situation heading into 2009 leaves a lot to be desired at this point but things could easily change so Im sure it'll work itself out.

Starter
    No matter what happens, we are definitley gonna have to start rebuilding the offensive line next season so I dont really care if he's gone next year, imo We need to get a bunch of fresh new guys in there and start over.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Smith expects to hit Free Agency next year.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

K Train's love child Tony Hills better get himself prepared.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I would really like to see Smith stick around and sign a 3 yr deal but he's going to want a Faneca type of contract and the team isn't going to pay him that much. Our tackle situation heading into 2009 leaves a lot to be desired at this point but things could easily change so Im sure it'll work itself out.
    Our Tackle situation right now leaves alot to be desired.
    The Steelers need to make a serious push this season to go deep into the playoffs because I feel that both sides of the line will be rebuilding for the next couple of seasons because no one from the starters to the backups, on the offensive side, wants to step up and play like a professional and as far as the defensive side, age is creeping in with the starters in their 30's and no depth on the roster worth a crap .

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is true Sal, our Tackle situation right now is nothing special but next year it could be even worse. Considering the only Tackles on the roster heading into the draft could be Hills & Colon is definite cause for concern indeed. The Guards could be ok for the next few years if Kemoeatu plays well and Simmons atleast does something. Center right now is iffy because Hartwig is still a question mark and Mahan just stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    K Train's love child Tony Hills better get himself prepared.
    dont even worry about it lol

Thread Information