Thread: Cuts coming...**Update; first round of cuts are in...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Sunshine

Cuts coming...**Update; first round of cuts are in...

This is the week all cuts must be made in the NFL. Teams must reduce their rosters to 75 by tomorrow and 53 by Saturday. That turns the focus not on who will win starting jobs, but who will win jobs at all.

Among those fighting for them are safeties Anthony Madison and Tyrone Carter. The Steelers likely will keep nine, possibly 10 defensive backs and some, such as rookie Roy Lewis and William Gay, are making their case by playing cornerback and safety.

Madison, who is just 5-9 and 180 pounds, is making his case by playing special teams the way Chidi Iwuoma did. His tackle on Vikings punt returner Aundrae Allison in the second quarter should be required study for punt coverage. He hit Allison without hesitation, wrapped him up and kept him down for a 1-yard loss.

Carter, who lost some favor when he became the starting free safety near the end of last season, made two good plays at the goal line in the second quarter to thwart a Vikings thrust that eventually was successful on third down. But then, he missed a tackle on a run around end later, something that he did too many times in the playoff loss to Jacksonville.

It doesn't look good
    Veteran return man Eddie Drummond will have a tough time making it with his hometown team. Signed the first week of training camp to try to bolster a lackluster return game, Drummond has done little to convince coaches his best days are not behind him.

He fell down fielding a second-half punt Saturday night and has not looked as good as other candidates, such as Mewelde Moore and Santonio Holmes. Because Drummond really plays no other position, he's not even a luxury the Steelers cannot afford.

Looking good
    Paul Ernster presented a nice case for winning the job as the Steelers' punter Saturday night. He punted four times, averaged 48.0 gross and 48.8 net because the Vikings returned only two of them for minus-3 yards. He also had three of his four punts inside the 20.

"I thought Paul Ernster did a nice job punting for us," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Ernster also kicked off three times in the second half and held on Jeff Reed's final three field goals -- Mitch Berger held on the first. Berger did not punt Saturday, but also has done a decent job with an average of 47.5 net and 42.0 on four punts, three of them inside the 20.

Catching on?
    Willie Reid may have won himself the fifth spot at wide receiver Saturday over Dallas Baker. Reid got a lot of playing time, sometimes even when three or four receivers were used in the first half, and led the team with five receptions for 55 yards.

Two of his receptions came in crucial spots. On fourth-and-3 in the third quarter, he caught an 8-yard pass from Byron Leftwich and hung on as he was pushed out of bounds to keep a scoring drive going. In the fourth quarter, he made a diving catch over the middle from Leftwich for a 22-yard gain.

Baker caught three passes for 23 yards but he also had a big third-down drop.

Third-down back

Mewelde Moore looks good as a third-down back and return man, but Willie Parker also continues to play well on third downs and likely will get a chance to play some in those situations this year. Parker is not afraid to stick his nose into the chest of a blitzing linebacker and that's the No. 1 requirement of a third-down back who lines up next to the quarterback in the shotgun formation.

Link

The punter is another tough decision for the coaches.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was really hoping Drummond would catch on with the team this year and help us out along with Moore being back there. Having Willie Reid on the team scares me because at some point they might get the ridiculous notion of letting him go back to fielding kickoffs and that would be a disaster. Dallas Baker looked good from what I saw of him in camp and I really hoped he'd be able to make the team; it's not over yet though so hopefully he makes it past the first round of cuts and then we'll see what happens.

the defensive backs should be interesting to watch over the next few days as the teams decide who they want to keep. What's the latest on Mundy, is he any better, I haven't heard anything since I've been away?

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Mike Potts and Jeremy Bloom among the first couple of players who have been released certainly no shocking news here...

http://news.steelers.com/article/94109/

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I was really hoping Drummond would catch on with the team this year and help us out along with Moore being back there. Having Willie Reid on the team scares me because at some point they might get the ridiculous notion of letting him go back to fielding kickoffs and that would be a disaster. Dallas Baker looked good from what I saw of him in camp and I really hoped he'd be able to make the team; it's not over yet though so hopefully he makes it past the first round of cuts and then we'll see what happens.

the defensive backs should be interesting to watch over the next few days as the teams decide who they want to keep. What's the latest on Mundy, is he any better, I haven't heard anything since I've been away?
    drummond doesn't have a snow ball's chance in hell.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah the first round is always the no brainers; the next round should be interesting. Kinda sux that D Sep went on IR officially though; that ends any hopes of a super fast Woodson like rehab it's for the best, he's our guy of the future so get it fixed and fixed right now.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Not at this point; between Reid & Baker both fighting for what looks to be the 2 final WR roster spots, ( maybe even 1 spot, since the other 4 are spoken for ) he's the odd man out. With Holmes now though being looked to for help in the return game along with Moore and Mendenhall we should have some real good options regardless.

Thread Information