Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whose playbook were the Steelers using tonight? Other thoughts of the game...

Bookmark and Share

Whose playbook were the Steelers using tonight? Other thoughts of the game...

What was up with Ben lining up as a wide receiver one play and then two plays later Big Ben takes off in motion??? Trick plays are cool every now and then but that was starting to look a bit ridiculous. To me, a trick play should only be ran when nothing else seems to be working against the defense and the defense knows where you are going before you in get there, to try those plays that early in the game IMHO was a bit unnecessary... I don't know if they are trying throw of the Texans and get them thinking early or what but it seemed to be some dumb play calling

Colon got ate up in that first quarter... It's not good seeing Ben getting limited playing time and still ending up on his back twice! The line needs to do something because they looked as bad as they did last year. Did anyone else know that Ben was the second leading rusher for QB's last year??? I had no idea... It's not something I would be proud of because all that says is "yeah my line sucks!"

Willie Reid is still fighting! Can't really complain about 5 catches for 55 yards! He even made a diving catch late in the game only to have Mendenhall cough it up a few plays later.

Speaking of Mendenhall... two fumbles?!?! Are you serious?? Granted he averaged over 5 yards a carry but those two fumbles cast a huge shadow over the yards and average per carry...

Hero of the game... Jeff Reed! Try and argue that one... he was the only one to score and nailed a 47 yarder to end the game! At least someone else besides Ben looks like they are ready for the season to start!

Nice Take on the game AZ ~~~

Agree with all your points,,,,,, I hope our line wakes up,maybe it'll take a real game for them to get it together ---

Starks must be really sucking in practice to not give him a try ~~~

One really brite spot was our ST's,,,,,,,,No fumble's & great coverage & tackling

Like you said Jeff Reed was money !

This is Pre-season and I really don't put alot of stock into it and I'm really thankful we never got any injuries~~~~

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Don't forget Ike, he brought his hands with him Seriously though, I didn't get to watch the game but the 2 fumbles would be something the coching staff is hopefully working with Mendenhall on, if it were up to me then for every fumble you also cough up $1000.00, for every fumble lost, you cough up $5000.00. I bet after losing a few benjamins that problem would go away real quick.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Don't forget Ike, he brought his hands with him Seriously though, I didn't get to watch the game but the 2 fumbles would be something the coching staff is hopefully working with Mendenhall on, if it were up to me then for every fumble you also cough up $1000.00, for every fumble lost, you cough up $5000.00. I bet after losing a few benjamins that problem would go away real quick.
    I forgot about Ike making that pick there in the first quarter... I guess since it was thrown right at him you would hope he would make that play

I like you're idea for the fumbles!

2 fumbles is not good at all, however you have to give both willie and mendenhall credit tonight. They had some killer runs, and i was really impressed by mendenhalls ability to find the space he needed. He reminded me of a little of peterson last year. He had the same ability to wait untill the gap was there.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Our offense was very boring last night, I`m hoping we just don`t want to show our complete hand yet.?

Our Lienbackers played well, Woodley will be a beast, Harrison is ready, and Timmons had a solid game. Also Aaron Smith loked good.

I understand why Troy didn`t play, but if this crosses over into the regular season, it won`t look good for him! I want to see him on the field, not the sidelines. All this stuff about him working out with his own trainers and not with the Steelers is getting old also, its obvious to me that it isn`t working, if he continues to get hurt.
    Tryonne Carter didn`t look bad filling in for Troy though.

Our o-line D-. Its the blitz that will kill us this season, if the continue the way they are playing. We better pray for Ben.

Is Leftwich winning the Batch/Byron contest? I think we need a younger back-up eventually, so this might be the guy. Where was Dennis Dixon?

Receiving corps: Heath is ready to play, Sweed is not, ready yet.

MVP Jeff Reed, and his kickoffs were descent

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

i agree with everything you all are saying. i just have one question... why didn't we take any shots down field? i was waiting for it to come but never did. did santonio even have a catch? last night kinda pissed me off. who in the **** was calling the plays last night???????????????
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Play calling wasnt that big of a deal... im sure at some point through-out the season there will be a "better" wrinkle off of those formations. It was clear they were trying to establish the run at all costs, pretty "vanilla" other than those WR Ben plays.

Leftwhich aka Fat Albert scares me... to death. Wish Dixon woulda got some work.

so does the OL...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    What was up with Ben lining up as a wide receiver one play and then two plays later Big Ben takes off in motion???
    Seems they found an old copy of Mike Mularkey's play book.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Someone on the staff needs to teach Mendenhall the proper way to carry the ball. Remember Tiki was a fumbler till Coughlin became coach.
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post

Colon got ate up in that first quarter... It's not good seeing Ben getting limited playing time and still ending up on his back twice! The line needs to do something because they looked as bad as they did last year. Did anyone else know that Ben was the second leading rusher for QB's last year??? I had no idea... It's not something I would be proud of because all that says is "yeah my line sucks!"
    I'm still baffled as to why Starks don't get an honest shot at either LT or RT,like you said Colon sucks and Marvel isn't too far behind . Max proved to be capable at the end of last season as a LT.
    Last edited by jpele; 08-24-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Rookie Free Agent SteelfordWexler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    i agree with everything you all are saying. i just have one question... why didn't we take any shots down field? i was waiting for it to come but never did. did santonio even have a catch? last night kinda pissed me off. who in the **** was calling the plays last night???????????????
    They got some early pass pressure. Ben was just checking down and getting rid of the ball. He never stood in the pocket -even when the protection was solid. I really thought he was giving up on plays quicker than usual. This is probably a good thing - I'm sure they have been working on this so he can help avoid a few sacks. Also it is preseason - and no one needs to be a hero at this point. He achieved our first objective for the game: he got off the field without being nicked up.

Thread Information