Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hartwig seizes starting center job

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine

Hartwig seizes starting center job

The Steelers’ search for a starting center is over, the way we hear it. Sources say Justin Hartwig appears to be the winner of a position battle with Sean Mahan and will top the depth chart in Week One of the regular season. Hartwig, who was released by the Panthers after last season, looks like a stronger, bigger option with a better base. Word is he has a sound understanding of the playbook and has gained the faith of OL coach Larry Zierlein. Center was the only position on the O-line in which there was a battle for a starting role, so Pittsburgh finally can move forward with full knowledge of its front five in the remaining weeks before the season opener. While Mahan is relegated to backup duty for now, it might not be for long. Hartwig battled injuries throughout his two-year stint in Carolina, appearing in just 17 games.

Link

Guess this just makes it official,rather than news.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

two different centers in two years... let's hope the Steelers can start to get some Webster, Dawson and Hartings consistency in the middle of the line!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    two different centers in two years... let's hope the Steelers can start to get some Webster, Dawson and Hartings consistency in the middle of the line!
    I think Hartwig is just a stop gap answer at the position...Plus we still don't know if he will be better then Mahan....He can't be any worse....

The Steelers in the 2009 draft need to select a center on the first day of the draft......

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I think Hartwig is just a stop gap answer at the position...Plus we still don't know if he will be better then Mahan....He can't be any worse....

The Steelers in the 2009 draft need to select a center on the first day of the draft......

Needing one and having the opportunity to draft a good one are two different stories. IMO there hasn't been a legit center drafted since Nick Mangold by the Jets. The ones who topped the draft boards in this draft were all Mahan protege's (on the light side).
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Yeah I wish we had a Nick Mangold on our line we should have drafted Samson Satele when we had the chance

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Needing one and having the opportunity to draft a good one are two different stories. IMO there hasn't been a legit center drafted since Nick Mangold by the Jets. The ones who topped the draft boards in this draft were all Mahan protege's (on the light side).
    kalil turned out to be a nice pick for carolina since he made hartwig expendable lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Alex Mack, Max Unger, and Jonathan Luigs are regarded as the top three centers in 2009.....Steelers should think about drafting one of them....I personally wouldn't mind Unger or Luigs.....

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Alex Mack, Max Unger, and Jonathan Luigs are regarded as the top three centers in 2009.....Steelers should think about drafting one of them....I personally wouldn't mind Unger or Luigs.....
    Never heard of any of these guys. Do you have any information on them? Who do they play for? Are any of these guys road graters? I miss the days of Webster or Dawson clearing out the middle of the D-line. Why do you think that Doug Legursky never really got a shot at it?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Alex Mack, Cal 6-4 316

Max Unger, Oregon 6-5 300 (listed as a Tackle on yahoo and espn)

Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas 6-4 314

Thread Information