Thread: Timmons' development paying dividends for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Timmons' development paying dividends for Steelers

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Did somebody get the number of that truck?

Steelers linebacker Lawrence Timmons sped through an opening in the middle of the line so fast Thursday night that Buffalo quarterback Matt Baker didn't know who -- or what -- hit him.

Baker's pass fell short of intended receiver Justin Jenkins in the fourth quarter of the Steelers' 24-21 loss to the Bills. Probably had something to do with Timmons blowing up the play -- along with Baker.
    It was the type of hit Timmons has been waiting to make since joining the Steelers as a first-round draft pick last season.
    It's a hit Timmons can feel all the way down to his toes, while ensuring that his target plays the rest of the game with his head on a swivel.

But no more than the Steelers have been waiting for Timmons to deliver.
    "Everybody's got to love that," said Timmons, speaking about having the opportunity to do what he does best on the football field -- seek and destroy. "I always try to get to the ball. I always try to make that a facet of my game."

For good measure, Timmons sacked another Bills quarterback, J.P. Losman, for an eight-yard loss. Timmons also defended a pair of screen passes about as well as you could ask from a young linebacker while also leading the Steelers with seven tackles.

"From last year to this year, it's been 180 degrees," linebacker James Harrison said of Timmons' development. "He's getting a little bit of what we call 'That dog.' He's starting to feel himself, and that comes from knowing what you're doing."

Harrison took Timmons under his wing as the two worked out together in the offseason. Upon getting to know each other better, Timmons loosened up and starting speaking his mind.
    "He asks a lot more questions now than he did last year. He was quiet last year," Harrison said.

Said Timmons: "Having a year under your shoulder pads, that's a great advantage. This is a complex defense. It's different when you're running and you don't know what to do like a chicken with its head off. When you know what you can do and you're comfortable, you can play faster because you know where to be."

In one of the great upsets of the Steelers preseason, Timmons spoke expansively to reporters following the loss in Toronto. In Timmons' case, his "soliloquy" translated to offering more than one-word sound bites.
    After drawing oohs and aahs from fans for his big hits, he stood tall in front of his locker and answered questions without a frown.

The soft-spoken and normally reclusive Timmons treated interviews last season like he was undergoing a root canal.

He also battled a nagging groin injury that limited his playing time. Finally healthy, he's showing off his expansive playmaking skills.
    Timmons respects his elders, such as Harrison, James Farrior and Larry Foote, his main competition at right inside linebacker. After Thursday's game, coach Mike Tomlin said no decision has been made on who will start.

At the same time, Timmons' play of late is going to make it difficult for Tomlin to keep him out of the starting lineup much longer.
    Truth be told that Timmins never had a clue last year.....

I'm just glad that he admitily agreed that he has learn more this past offseason to be able to come in and compete.

What's nice is the thought that he will still have time to prep for a future starting position and he will be a beast when that time comes.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    good article

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Steel City Mafia # 632
    This is really what the Doctor ordered....With the development of Woodley late last year and Timmons finally splashing into the mix, it couldn't come at a better time..this defense needs a boost something fierce, you can never have enough playmakers on the field. Let's hope we see a dominant D this saturday.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Tomlin knew our LB corp was getting old and there was no depth to speak of behind the starters so bringing in Wood & Timmons and now Davis this year is going to really start paying off for us and keep the Steeler linebacking tradition in tact and moving forward. This current group right now could start to bring back visions of the vaunted BLITZBURGH linebacking group that was just downright wicked.

Rookie Free Agent
    Ditto we need that swagger back The Porter boot Who Ride We Ride!!!!!!!

lol its funny how after he blows up 2 plays in a preseason game alot of you who were claiming bust are now claiming beast lol

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol its funny how after he blows up 2 plays in a preseason game alot of you who were claiming bust are now claiming beast lol
    Don't remember anyone referring to him as a bust??, But alot of people had a big question mark next to his name, and rightly so.He was quiet as a church mouse last year..and it didn't help Lamarr out there making plays when Timmons wasn't.I think overall the fans have been patient with him..and now he's starting to shine.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

5-11-2008 at 7:40 am

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    we sure know how to pick them.....
    I never knew that Timmons had a Hernia. Hopefully he can prove this year that he's worth being a 1st round pick and not a complete bust.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nobody should have proclaimed him a bust and if they did they weren't giving him a chance. He was injured and yeah it pissed a lot of people off because he lost a year of learning and contributing. Im glad to see him playing better; he's been really working at it all offseason and so far in camp and preseason he's playing well. There's nobody in their right mind that would anoint him as the 2nd coming of Jack Lambert just yet but atleast he's on his way to finally or atleast hopefully beginning to contribute.

TIMMONS

THIS KID IS GOING TO BE GOOD

Thread Information