Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting defense couldn't tackle; starting offense spotty.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

starting defense couldn't tackle; starting offense spotty.

Coverage units looked really good tonight except for that disaster 95 yd return. I got that funny sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again when they whole ST unit just collapsed and got burnt

Leftwich had his problems; over throwing several targets both short and long plays. He didn't seem to be ansy in the pocket but you could definitely see the rust. He'll get better as he gets more reps with the group.

TImmons is really starting to come on; his motor doesn't stop and he's getting more and more comfortable in the defense. I like seeing him and Foote out there together, it's great experience.

the defense, ugh...they were getting torched. the bills marched up and down the field against our starters. the tackling was terrible. they played a lot of quick 3 step drops to avoid the pressure. tomlin was visibly pissed off and made them stay out there till they got a stop against the starters. the secondary just didn't play well tonight.

it's preseason so you can't expect them to be awesome; it's all vanilla schemes but still you want the guys to make the tackle when it's right in front of them.

Ben looked pretty sharp overall; the INT was tipped so it's not all his fault. he was careful with the ball and overall very accurate.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I thought the starting offense was fine except for the penalties....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    they weren't very successful running the ball and the penalties were killer..that's what I meant by spotty. the passing game was pretty solid for the 2nd straight week so no complaints there.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    If this offensive line can protect Ben and allow him to do what he does and move around and make plays this offense is going to do some serious serious damage. Holmes and Ben really look like they have a good rapport going on. They could end up being a lethal combo this season.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    they weren't very successful running the ball and the penalties were killer..that's what I meant by spotty. the passing game was pretty solid for the 2nd straight week so no complaints there.
    Yea but Parker wasn't out there long and Mendenhall didn't get a ton of carries with the first unit......Sometimes it takes time for the running game to get going...So I'm not to worried....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nah Im not too worried; preseason doesn't usually worry me THAT much unless everybody just totally stinks..LOL. I just don't like seeing our OL get stuffed at the point of attack again in the run game. I was really hoping to see hartwig and the OL really assert themselves in this game but neither the starters nor the backups played particularly well. The Bills are no slouch and they are a considerably tougher unit than what we faced against the eagles run defense so give them credit.

My Mood
    Mad
    Nah Im not too worried; preseason doesn't usually worry me THAT much unless everybody just totally stinks..LOL. I just don't like seeing our OL get stuffed at the point of attack again in the run game. I was really hoping to see hartwig and the OL really assert themselves in this game but neither the starters nor the backups played particularly well. The Bills are no slouch and they are a considerably tougher unit than what we faced against the eagles run defense so give them credit.
    I agree with you......Just saying I think come regular season we will see this OL run block their asses off.....I really don't think these guys really take the pre-season all that serious especially the vets who will make the team and have no worries about that....lol

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Coverage units looked really good tonight except for that disaster 95 yd return. I got that funny sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again when they whole ST unit just collapsed and got burnt

Leftwich had his problems; over throwing several targets both short and long plays. He didn't seem to be ansy in the pocket but you could definitely see the rust. He'll get better as he gets more reps with the group.

TImmons is really starting to come on; his motor doesn't stop and he's getting more and more comfortable in the defense. I like seeing him and Foote out there together, it's great experience.

the defense, ugh...they were getting torched. the bills marched up and down the field against our starters. the tackling was terrible. they played a lot of quick 3 step drops to avoid the pressure. tomlin was visibly pissed off and made them stay out there till they got a stop against the starters. the secondary just didn't play well tonight.

it's preseason so you can't expect them to be awesome; it's all vanilla schemes but still you want the guys to make the tackle when it's right in front of them.

Ben looked pretty sharp overall; the INT was tipped so it's not all his fault. he was careful with the ball and overall very accurate.
    Good recap, i agree about that D making routine tackles....i can handle them moving the ball on us to a point...but man, those missed tackles and weak wrap-ups are hard to stomach. That's fundamental football and needs to be corrected quick,fast and in a hurry.

I think Roethlisberger to Holmes is going to be the next Manning to Harrison Duo..these guys got some sick chemistry building.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    that's what drives me nuts about preseason; you can hear the vets talk about wanting to play well in preseason and wanting to win and all that but you damn well they just want to play and get off the field without getting hurt..LOL.

Tomlin definitely needs to work with the secondary and their tackling.. goodness, they were just getting torched and missed a boat load of tackles.

next week is really the week you want to see the starters play well because the final preseason game is mostly for reserves so next saturday I expect them to play more sound on both sides of the ball.

also this is a short week so the team probably has some tired legs too from training camp and then coming back to play tonight after last week.

Are you kidding me? The offense? The penalties came from the OL which killed our drives. Ben played fantastic. The int was a fluke. It bounced off of a diving Bills hands and popped in the air.

Santonio rules

Thread Information