Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers coach, teammates defend Anthony Smith

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers coach, teammates defend Anthony Smith

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin strongly condemned a recent story that he said characterized Anthony Smith as a thug because of the free safety's aggressive nature.

Ryan Clark, who is competing with Smith for the starting job at free safety, went a step further.

"Not to bring race into it, but is it because he is black that these acts are called thuggery?" Clark said. "Because a man has tattoos or may play a certain way, it doesn't make him a thug."

Smith became a hot-button issue last week when he collided with Hines Ward in practice and knocked the veteran wide receiver to the ground.

Smith's hits on wide receivers in practice have earned him past rebukes from his coaches and teammates. The Steelers, however, have rallied around the third-year man whose brashness on the field, not to mention a brash prediction he offered last season, have made him a convenient target for criticism.

Tomlin said at a news conference Wednesday that associating Smith with the word thug crossed the line.

Smith also took exception to it.

"I never mugged anybody or robbed anybody," he said. "I got a clean record so I don't know how I can be classified as a thug."

"You've never heard of Anthony Smith being in a bar brawl. You've never heard of him carrying a gun, things that you associate with thuggery," Clark said. "(Former NFL linebacker) Bill Romanowski spit in a man's face on the field, (hurt) one of his teammates to the point that he was sued and the word thuggery was never used."

Ward didn't say much last week after his encounter with Smith, but he clearly wasn't happy about getting hit after making a catch.

Smith, who will play Thursday against the Bills in Toronto after missing the Steelers' preseason opener, said he and Ward have talked and that the two are fine. He said the collision seemed worse than it appeared because of the sounds his and Ward's pads made when they hit.

"You're not supposed to touch Hines, we understand that, but if you had a chance to watch the tape (Smith) literally tapped him," Clark said. "Hines had one foot up, he did a Manu Ginobili flop, and when he was on the ground when you look at the picture, he was smiling."

Smith hasn't always made his teammates and coaches smile.

During his rookie season, he drew the wrath of defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau for high-stepping at the end of a play in which he had intercepted a pass. Last year, Smith made an ill-fated guarantee that the Steelers would beat the unbeaten New England Patriots.

He made enough mistakes in that 34-13 loss and in the games that followed that Smith eventually was replaced in the starting lineup by Tyrone Carter.

His hit on Ward seemed to offer more proof that he is too interested in making the big hit to start at free safety. When the criticism opened up Smith for what his coaches and teammates saw as an attack on his character, they came to his defense.

"He's not a thug," Tomlin said. "He's a young professional football player who is trying to be at his best who happens to play the game very physically. We understand that perception all of the time is not reality, but some things are written or said that are hurtful."

Smith said he didn't read the story that touched off such a strong reaction among Tomlin and his teammates.

"I just think it was an ignorant statement," Smith said. "To put me in that category, I don't think is right."
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_582547.html

i hope clark dies a painful death for that statement

but it is stupid to call smith a thug, he just likes to hit hard, nothing wrong with that, and clark is a 100% correct, he is called a thug cause the color of his skin, and before reading the part about romanoski or wtfever, i kept thinking about lynch and he was never called a thug for his cheap hits...........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was wondering when someone in the media was going to stick their foot in their mouth over Smith. Given what's happened in the last 8 months or so of his career it was bound to happen. I'm glad Tomlin addressed and put Collier in his place. I don't know that it was said with any type of malicious intent but still, it's good to see the players and coaches sticking together.

It remains to be seen if Smith ends contributing to this team in any more than a backup role; he's certainly got the talent but he's just got to play smarter.

Well, i can tell you ALL of the local media here in the burgh is siding against Tomlin on this one. Its kinda foolish really.Tomlin has to defend his guys and the media has to sell a story.

There is always a media scpae-goat on this team. The media usually keeps this shiat up until (and sometimes after) the player leaves.

Plaxico Burress- Media over hyped the fact that he was a quiet guy, who drove a HUGE truck and he was told he sticks out here like a sore thumb.

Kordell Stewart- Reports of him at Schenley Park (i wont even go there), his play, not being a real QB and so on.

And now Smith who really got bated into saying something 95% of players would say, ("If we come out and play our game the best we can, we feel we cant lose") then all the media had to do was publish/air just enough to make him sound like he was making a gaurantee. Say what you want about alot of atheletes now a days. But dont call someones actions "thuggery" for stuff that happens all the time. Esp. a guy who has not had a single off the field issue!! Just tasteless!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 08-13-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Gold Standard
    I still say that you take care of this on the playing field. Offensive players should take every opportunity to throw decleater blindside blocks on old Anthony until he gets the picture in high definition clarity. Some people can only learn the hard way.

It's only common sense that you save the big hits for your opponents and not your own teamates.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 08-13-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

[QUOTE=Koopa;220947]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_582547.html

QUOTE]

Not cool, man....
    "Commitment to the team - there is no such thing as in-between, you are either in or you're out."-Pat Riley

Smith is going to be needed to lay some hits on some of the high power O's we'll see this year, he just needs to be smarter!!

I don't think he is a thug. I do think he is very stupid, but not a thug. I don't know if he's been in much trouble off the field, has he??

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    [QUOTE=memphissteelergirl;220985]
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_582547.html

QUOTE]

Not cool, man....
    He's just playing; in reference to Clark's statement about Manu Ginobili Koopa is a big Spurs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    I don't think he is a thug. I do think he is very stupid, but not a thug. I don't know if he's been in much trouble off the field, has he??
    ZERO that i know of. It was a dumb move to even come close to Ward (or any WR on your team) in a 7-on-7 non contact drill. But who knows, maybe its one of those deals where: you wrap, but dont take a player to the ground. Either way i hope for this teams sake, they can find a way to get Ant to play to his potential. He is a dynamic play maker when whe does play inside the system.

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Well, as I said, I did not agree with Smith making the hit, but I cetainly do not think bad of him for it and definately not a thug! He will make up for it in game I'm sure.

Thread Information