Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Byron Leftwich...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Steelers sign Byron Leftwich...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Here you go fellas it's official on nfl.com.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sounds good to me; at this point neither Culpepper or Leftwich inspire any kind of confidence in you but atleast we went out and got a veteran QB who atleast has a clue of how to react to the speed of the game and knows how to play the position.

This will take the pressure off Dixon again and allow him to continue his learning curve at a more desirable pace like the original plan was.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Sounds good to me; at this point neither Culpepper or Leftwich inspire any kind of confidence in you but atleast we went out and got a veteran QB who atleast has a clue of how to react to the speed of the game and knows how to play the position.

This will take the pressure off Dixon again and allow him to continue his learning curve at a more desirable pace like the original plan was.
    I dont have a problem with this signing at all. The Steelers just could not afford to go into the season with Dixon as their number 2 QB and possible starter if Ben would happen to go down at some point. If anything Leftwich should look at this as a tremendous opportunity to play on one of the better teams in the AFC that has a chance to go far in the playoffs, and get his career which has been like a yo-yo over the last few years back on track. Hopefully he will thrive on that and god forbid if Ben would go down to an injury he would be ready to step in and get the job done if need be. Who knows maybe he can even help the Steelers figure out a way of how to beat the Jags which they have had so much trouble doing over the last 2-3 years.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    Who knows maybe he can even help the Steelers figure out a way of how to beat the Jags which they have had so much trouble doing over the last 2-3 years.
    Nailed it, thats the one most important factor imo of his signing.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSteve View Post
    Nailed it, thats the one most important factor imo of his signing.
    Absolutely it is, and you gotta think that he still has some bitter feelings toward that organization and how he got let go over Garrard last season. I am sure he would be thrilled to be able to give the Steelers some insight on what they can possibly do to beat the Jags since both the Steelers team as a whole, and Leftwich himself have a lot of payback due to the Jags for what happened last season.

i dont think batch makes the roster

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont think batch makes the roster
    Wow, you know what? I think your right! I havent even considered that possibility, but it kinda makes sense.

at least leftwich will now have a good chance of getting a ring.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Yes I hope batch gets let go, i'm liking leftwich better

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers signed veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich to a one-year deal on Sunday, choosing the former Jacksonville Jaguars starter over Daunte Culpepper, a three-time Pro Bowl player.
    The Steelers signed the 28-year-old Leftwich after both he and Culpepper worked out Sunday morning at the team's training camp at Saint Vincent College. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
    The Steelers were in the market for a backup to Ben Roethlisberger after veteran Charlie Batch broke his right collarbone in Friday night's 16-10 preseason victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field. Batch, who is to have surgery Monday, is expected to miss four to six weeks.
    Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said Leftwich, who has started 46 career games for Jacksonville and Atlanta, may not be released when Batch returns.
    "We're just going to let the play talk," Tomlin said. "You know how we do it. We're going to evaluate what we see based on performance."
    Leftwich was released by Atlanta in February and has played in just nine games in the past two seasons because of ankle injuries. A first-round pick by Jacksonville in 2003, he saw action in 15 games that season, making 13 starts. He missed two games in 2004 and five in 2005 with injuries.
    A serious ankle injury in 2006 limited him to just six games, opening the door for backup David Garrard to get a 10-game audition and win the starting job. Leftwich was released at the end of training camp last year and signed with Atlanta.
    The Steelers also signed veteran punter Mitch Berger to a one-year deal on Sunday to compete with Paul Ernster. Daniel Sepulveda, a fourth-round draft pick in 2007, tore an anterior cruciate ligament and is out for the year.
    The 35-year-old Berger is a 12-year veteran with a career average of 43.1 yards on five different teams, including Arizona in 2007.
    The Steelers also activated Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton from the physically-unable-to-perform-list, where he had been since failing his conditioning test July 27. To make room for Leftwich and Berger on the roster, the team waived wide receiver Gerran Walker and linebacker Anthony Trucks.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information