Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Byron Leftwich...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Well if you take a look at what Tomlin says below here that they might not let Leftwich go when Batch is healthy that basically right there is telling Charlie Batch that his job is not as safe as it may appear.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    We have to keep our quota of Mac QBs......Leftwich played in the Mac conference just like Big Ben and Batch.....I don't hate the signing......I think Byron still has something left...I just worry about him being a statue behind our questionable pass protection....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ya know, the more I was thinking about this after I heard of the signing the more apparent it becomes that if Leftwich does well in the next few weeks they may just release Batch and this way they have a younger, experienced option behind Ben not only for this season but afterwards they would probably have a real good chance to sign him to say a 3 yr deal to be Ben's permanent backup while Dixon comes along.

My Mood
    Mad
    Honestly would Leftwich want to stay for 3 years to be a backup....I don't think so....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Right now he'd be out of work still if it wasn't for us signing him. Sure he'd probably get picked up before the season started but I can't imagine it would be for anything other than a backup role either. He said in his interview today that he would be happy to play behind Ben and be on a team that has a chance to win it all. Who knows at this point; Batch was most likely going to retire after this season anyways so either way we'll be looking for a backup QB in 2009 most likely.

i think hes come to terms that no one wants him to come in and start...if you werent good enough for atlanta or miami you need to be a backup and show that your worth a damn

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think hes come to terms that no one wants him to come in and start...if you werent good enough for atlanta or miami you need to be a backup and show that your worth a damn
    Very true......But at the same time he was former first round pick and I'm sure has some pride.....Plus its not like Atlanta was the best situation for a QB to be in last year....I just don't think Leftwich would be content to be a backup for three years....I think if he remains with the Steelers all year then he will test the market next year to find a starters gig....

I just don't understand how a team like the Bears that have complete bums at QB wouldn't at least bring in Leftwich for a chance...

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    We have to keep our quota of Mac QBs......Leftwich played in the Mac conference just like Big Ben and Batch.....I don't hate the signing......I think Byron still has something left...I just worry about him being a statue behind our questionable pass protection....

That is my concern also.

I'm A "Champion"

The Bears like Orton and Grossman (God only knows why). Plus they are high on Cale Hanie.

Why was Daunte Culpepper’s name missing from the announcement that the Steelers had signed Byron Leftwich? Apparently Culpepper wants to be more than just a backup: John Clayton of ESPN reports that Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job. The Steelers were impressed with both Culpepper and Leftwich when they worked out at Latrobe Memorial Stadium today, but that Leftwich agreed to sign even though the Steelers gave him no assurances of a roster spot.
    see he knows no one wants him to come in and rescue them

Thread Information