Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers could sign both Culpepper and Leftwich

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Byron Leftwich, until recently among the most promising young starting quarterbacks in the NFL, could join the Steelers today as the replacement for injured backup Charlie Batch.

Before Leftwich boarded a jet in Atlanta last evening for the trip to Pittsburgh, he said he would welcome playing behind Ben Roethlisberger.

"They have an opportunity to win it all," Leftwich said. "To be part of that, if I can help, that's my mind-set. I'm just trying to get back out there."

The Steelers were talking to agent Tom Condon last night about a possible contract. Leftwich said it was his understanding that he would not work out before any possible deal was struck. The Steelers resume practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe today.

Leftwich, 28, was the seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft from Marshall, one year before the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick from Miami of Ohio in the same Mid-American Conference. The two have been friends since their days in the MAC, a conference that also produced Batch, who played at Eastern Michigan. Steelers quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson also was Leftwich's quarterbacks coach for part of his career in Jacksonville.

"I know Ben well, him and Charlie," Leftwich said. "I played against Ben, competed against him in college. It was fun."

Leftwich replaced injured Mark Brunell as Jacksonville's starting quarterback in his rookie season and remained the Jaguars starter the next four seasons. However, severe ankle injuries limited him to 11 starts in 2005 and six in 2006, and he fell out of favor with coach Jack Del Rio.

He entered 2007 as the starter but was cut Sept. 1 and signed by Atlanta. There, another ankle injury curtailed his play after he had become the starter. The Falcons, who drafted Boston College's Matt Ryan in the first round this year, released Leftwich in February.

Leftwich last evening cited those injuries as the reason his career hit a snag.

"I don't think it was an issue with my production when on the football field. It was just the time I missed because of injuries. Believe me, I wasn't trying to do that."

His 2,819 passing yards in 2003 were the fourth-most by a rookie quarterback in NFL history. His record as a starter in Jacksonville was 24-20. Leftwich, who is 6 feet 5, reportedly has lost 25 pounds and weighs 225.

He has been dogged by ankle injuries in the NFL, but when healthy has been productive. Through 11 games in 2005, he had 15 touchdown passes, just five interceptions and 2,123 yards. He played in six games in 2006 before he again was injured.

"Something happens in the game of football," said Leftwich, who was extremely popular with his Jacksonville teammates. "It was going so good for me. Then came the injuries. It's something I understand and something I have to live with.

"Right now, I'm really anxious to get back out there on the field."

Leftwich had a tryout with the Tennessee Titans 10 days ago. After Atlanta released him, he hoped to sign with a team that would allow him to compete for a starting job. However, he said he would be happy to play behind Roethlisberger.

"I think anytime you get a chance to play for a team like this with this much tradition, you do it," Leftwich said. "Just to be part of it ... playing against those guys, they were always a well-coached, good football team."

The Steelers did not mention how long he might be on their roster if signed. Coach Mike Tomlin estimated that Batch could miss four to six weeks and that they would not place him on injured reserve.

"I don't know what the situation is, I don't know the process," Leftwich said. "I just want to come in and try to work my butt off."
    Let the best guy win.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Here is another scenario......Steelers sing both Culpepper and Leftwich........Some other teams have QB issues or injuries...The Steelers then would have two of the top QBs left on the open market....Maybe trade one of them for a late round pick.....I would take an extra sixth for one of them....Not saying that would happen...Just something to chew on.....
    That would be an option if they could find a taker fast enough before they had to unload one of them before the season starts. That would be the only problem I could see what that idea because teams would know we won't carry both of them into the regular season so one of them will be released anyways but if they really wanted one over the other giving up a 6th round pick to get a veteran QB would be a safe move for virtually any takers.

Now if only we could get a 6th round pick to actually stick around and make a difference for once

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

Now if only we could get a 6th round pick to actually stick around and make a difference for once
    Ya like a 6th round Tom Brady......
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    That would be an option if they could find a taker fast enough before they had to unload one of them before the season starts. That would be the only problem I could see what that idea because teams would know we won't carry both of them into the regular season so one of them will be released anyways but if they really wanted one over the other giving up a 6th round pick to get a veteran QB would be a safe move for virtually any takers.

Mike Humpal will stick.....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Indeed!! , I like the chances of both him and Mundy this year..for once we're finally seeing some potentially good late round picks instead of the training camp fodder Cowher used to find for us. Dallas Baker could very well make the team this year as well which would be great!

I guess sometimes I still can't used to the chance of finding good 2nd day picks that actually make an impact on the teams success

Reppin' 724
    Gimme Leftwich...Culpepper always had to rely on having a superstar WR like moss.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    lol well i think charlie is about done...those are some big name guys which is kinda ironic since we dont do that. i like culpepper better, hes a fumbler and hes dumb but hes a great backup option....leftwich is a statue he would die behind our line, hes got a weird throwing motion and overshoots 90% of the time
    So now someone finally agrees that Batch is done. I've been saying this since the Ravens game last season
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    Ya like a 6th round Tom Brady......
    Yeah his name was Colt Brennan but our scout overlooked him and we drafted a fraud named Dennis Dixon
    Last edited by DanRooney; 08-10-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Indeed!! , I like the chances of both him and Mundy this year..for once we're finally seeing some potentially good late round picks instead of the training camp fodder Cowher used to find for us. Dallas Baker could very well make the team this year as well which would be great!

I guess sometimes I still can't used to the chance of finding good 2nd day picks that actually make an impact on the teams success
    I like Mundy as well...Hope his injury doesn't set him back any.....I think Baker has a good shot to make the team.....But he didn't do much the other night...Was kind of sucked...I was looking to see his progression....

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    Gimme Leftwich...Culpepper always had to rely on having a superstar WR like moss.
    Yeah, and you saw how successful he was with Moss .... Now imagine him with Holmes, Ward, Sweed, Nate, and Heath as targets.

I'd take Culpepper any day of the week over Leftbitch.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.Le....2.792002.html

Leftwich, Culpepper In Latrobe Today
    LATROBE (KDKA) ― Two long-time quarterbacks are at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe vying to be the Steelers back-up QB after Charlie Batch suffered a broken collarbone in Friday's pre-season game.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper are each undergoing physicals today.

The team is expected to sign at least one of them to be Ben Roethlisberger's backup until Batch can return, which is expected to be 4 to 6 weeks.

Thread Information