Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SMITH LEVELS WARD AT 8/6 P.M. PRACTICE

Bookmark and Share

SMITH LEVELS WARD AT 8/6 P.M. PRACTICE

from steelcityinsider:

"With the first game of the 2008 preseason looming, there were very few players standing around on the sidelines Wednesday afternoon as the Pittsburgh Steelers practiced here at Saint Vincent College.

Everybody wants to be back on the field in time to play in the opener, but head coach Mike Tomlin ruled out safety Anthony Smith and tight end Cody Boyd.

Boyd, who has a shoulder injury, practiced in all of the non-contact drills, while Smith, who returned Wednesday for the first time in more than a week, jumped right back in where he left off – being a knucklehead.

Only this time, Smith wasn’t decking Willie Reid unnecessarily as he did on the opening day of training camp before suffering a groin injury. No, this time Smith leveled Hines Ward during a seven-on-seven drill.

As Ward lay on the ground, one of the coaches – I’m not sure who – yelled at Smith, “Are you out of your God damn mind?”

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau went to Smith as Ward finally got up, put his arm around the safety and tried to explain for what seems to be the 20th time why that stuff just can’t happen. But Smith apparently just doesn’t get it – and maybe he never will"

You kinda had to know this was gonna happen sooner or later. Im sure if it was the other way around (ward laying out Smith like he did Ed Reed) this would be a different story. I wasnt overly mad when it happened to Reid and im really not mad now. If Ward is ok then no harm done. I just hope they can bottle this kids aggression, if not i cant see him being on this team if these things keep happening

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Well in this kids defense we all know Hines can give some cheap shots with the best of them, so you never know what was going on leading up to that hit. I'm not saying it's cool to lay out Hines in a practice situation..but we don't know both sides of the story.Besides, it's hard to tell a guy who makes a living by laying the lumber to come out and only play 70%. If your coming across the middle your fair game. Shouldn't matter if it's Hines Ward or Dallas Baker.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Smith is just a maniac on the field who doesn't know when to let up when it comes to his mouth or his hitting. I'm all for using all your energy and anger and blasting the WR on game day, the more of that the better IMO..but in practice if you get the chance to lay out your teammate you better use your head and think; hey this guy needs to help us this season, maybe I should ease up a bit. It's one thing to be intense in practice, that's all well and good but you also have to be smart about it. I've liked Smith since we drafted him, I really thought he was going to turn into something special but the more you see him on the field the more you start to wonder if he's just going to fade off into the sunset after 2008.

This is yet another reason why Ryan Clark is the starting Safety on this team..Smith may hit harder but Clark is smarter.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-06-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Glad to hear Hines is OK. It would have been terrible to have him out for the season. Wonder what Hines said about the hit?

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by ItAintEasyBeingPeazy View Post
    Well in this kids defense we all know Hines can give some cheap shots with the best of them, so you never know what was going on leading up to that hit. I'm not saying it's cool to lay out Hines in a practice situation..but we don't know both sides of the story.Besides, it's hard to tell a guy who makes a living by laying the lumber to come out and only play 70%. If your coming across the middle your fair game. Shouldn't matter if it's Hines Ward or Dallas Baker.
    Hines has been wearing his name in his helmet since his rookie year to signify that he was working to make the tem every camp, even as probowler. If thats how it is he cant be all that upset that this happened. I know you have franchise guys who arent expected to practice, drill, run like the back up players... but Hines has never been that way! I dont see this being any different. Maybe i'd change my tune if he was gonna miss part of the season due to this.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    [AutoMerged Post Below]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    Glad to hear Hines is OK. It would have been terrible to have him out for the season. Wonder what Hines said about the hit?
    Correct me if im wrong *cough" *ktrain* But when this happend last season to Willie Reid, i remember Hines wasnt too pleased with Smith.
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 08-06-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This is why he will be a terror on special teams this year. He won't have to worry about pass coverage just run down and hit people.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

first of all hines has been wearing his name on his helmet since 06....not since he was rookie. second, hines is a real dick in his own right taking jabs at everyone like hes better than them and i know hes got a halo around his head to all of you but listen to some of the **** he has said. Hines has throw his fair of maybe not cheap shots but blind hits over the years, hes not the cleanest player in the world...hes very smart about it but hes a dirty player alot of the time and if he flips out about this i will yet again lose respect for him because hes playing football and he is not the king of camp like hes off limits...its somewhat inspiring to see a safety on the field while troy continues to make alot of money on the sideline looking like a lion and getting yet another pro bowl selection...basicallt what im trying to say is if ward got jacked the **** up....good for him it comes with the game

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    first of all hines has been wearing his name on his helmet since 06....not since he was rookie. second, hines is a real dick in his own right taking jabs at everyone like hes better than them and i know hes got a halo around his head to all of you but listen to some of the shiat he has said. Hines has throw his fair of maybe not cheap shots but blind hits over the years, hes not the cleanest player in the world...hes very smart about it but hes a dirty player alot of the time and if he flips out about this i will yet again lose respect for him because hes playing football and he is not the king of camp like hes off limits...its somewhat inspiring to see a safety on the field while troy continues to make alot of money on the sideline looking like a lion and getting yet another pro bowl selection...basicallt what im trying to say is if ward got jacked the **** up....good for him it comes with the game
    I agree with some of things you say about Ward...He is still my favorite player....But since winning the Super Bowl...He seems to have become a WR diva like some of the other WRs across the NFL.....

As for Smith.....Ward isn't dead or hurt serious so I have no problem with him laying out Ward...I'm sure Hines will have some kind of payback...lol....I just wish Smith would harness some of that aggression......I'm not one for taking away a players aggression....But he does need to control his aggression more at times...I really think thats what holds him back into becoming a star....Just my .....

theres just no way ward should be off limits like i know he thinks he is while guys like reid and baker get abused out there

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ItAintEasyBeingPeazy View Post
    Not cool? I think its effin badass! Smith is a monster lol

Thread Information