Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No more contract negotiations in 2008; could be bad news in 2009

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

No more contract negotiations in 2008; could be bad news in 2009

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08219/902106-66.stm

...one month left before the Steelers' self-imposed deadline on contract extension talks, no talks are taking place.

Not with Farrior, not with tackle Marvel Smith, not with anyone.

If the team has issues with its offensive line now, next season could be disastrous because Smith and new left guard Chris Kemoeatu will become unrestricted free agents if they remain unsigned. So, too, will Max Starks and Trai Essex, their top two backup tackles. Starting right tackle Willie Colon will become a restricted free agent.

It's likely that Smith won't return if he's not signed to an extension over the next month.

"I guess we have four weeks to see if Marvel remains a Steeler after this year," said Ken Zuckerman, his agent.

The same could hold true for Kemoeatu, Starks and Essex, which would blow a hole through their line and its depth.

That's not all. Others who would become unrestricted are cornerback Bryant McFadden, wide receiver Nate Washington and quarterback Charlie Batch.

Perhaps the Steelers have a plan to accomplish something with these players over the next month, but no negotiations are taking place, according to sources. The same held true last season when, in the 11th hour, they signed starting right guard Kendall Simmons to a contract extension after it became apparent that veteran guard Alan Faneca wanted nothing to do with their last, best offer.
    Obviously there's still some time left for guys to resign but looking at that list of potential UFA's for next year is pretty disturbing from a depth standpoint. We do have guys waiting in the wings to step up but from an experience and depth perspective and considering our DL is going to need some serious consideration next offseason I can't remember the last time a Steeler team entered an offseason with that many UFA's ( atleast not since the days of being in Three Rivers).

I think the Steelers in the end will do what they have done for the past 75 years. They will make a smart decision. I think they should let go of Marvel Smith after this year. I think his better years are behind him. In the past couple years he has been injured and his production has slowed down. Yeah hes a nice veteran tackle but I think hes a too old. He really hasnt showed me he can still be productive. He basically looks so slow. And with his back problem, that just doesnt mix wel for down the road. Now as for Farrior, I say wait till the end of the year. Why? See how he does this year. If he does have a productive year, I think you should bring him back. I say a 3 year deal tops if not a 2 year deal. If he doesnt, well then sadly, let him go. If he production on the field doesnt show this year as the old Farrior just let him go. He is an aging vet. I like Farrior. Yeah it would be sad to see him go as it was sad when we let Porter go. But in the end it was a smart choice. Porter really hasnt done anything in Miami. I wouldnt have a problem if the Steelers decide to let him go and put possibly Timmons in. We need to see how this guy is. Im looking forward to Fridays game vs. Filthydelphia too see what he looks like. There been alot of hype out of Latrobe about Timmons. Now of course we wont see how he is in just one game but hey im just ready for this season to start. All in all, let Marvel go and see how Farrior does this season and then make a decision in the offseason.

i think tony hills plays a big role in what gets done with smith, but i do think smith will give us the home town discount unlike faneca cause smith is happy here...this **** could get ****ed up but i have to think weve hit rock bottom as far as olines go so it can only get better from here out imo lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hills is the x-factor in the decision to not resign Smith long term..if they think he will be ready to take over in 2009 then it only makes sense to let Smith walk because he's going to want atleast a 4 yr deal and quality LT's can easily command a 30+ million dollar contract.

As far as the OL goes, I gotta agree with Ktrain that these last few years since the super bowl we've had the most disorganized group of players up front as anytime I've ever seen. Faneca was a constant as was Marvel ( when he's not hurt) and Hartings but that's it. Every time we turn around it's musical lineman so at some point you've got to make strides and each start over or hope that some of your current guys step up.

Farrior will take a hometown discount if the team wants to bring him back, I have little doubt of that.

Gay could very well be ready to step up and assume a more prominant role as a starter and let Deshea take over the nickleback role that McFadden plays now so when you analyze it it's not quite as bad as it initially looks.

just think if kemoeatevery****ingthinghesees, smith, essex, colon and starks all walk after this year we have capizzi, stapleton, mahan, simmons, hills and hartwig to fall back on lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    just think if kemoeatevery****ingthinghesees, smith, essex, colon and starks all walk after this year we have capizzi, stapleton, mahan, simmons, hills and hartwig to fall back on lol
    Im suddenly feeling alittle ill

If the rest of this preseason unfolds with no new deals Im guess they'll probably be able to get Essex and Colon back but Smith will be gone and Starks too. At this point starting over fresh isn't maybe the worst thing we could do I mean lets face it last year we pretty much hit rock bottom. You can't have your 100 million dollar QB out there getting killed every week.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Man, looks like we have some rebuilding years coming up, that's quite a few players to resign. Now you see why it is important to draft well.

I'm A "Champion"

theres to much talent and to much youth to call it rebuilding....our lack of dline will be hidden by our sick linebackers and our oline doenst have to be spectacular with our skill players. we'll be fine, i really think smith will get his deal worked out and finish a steeler

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hills is probably two years away really.....Plus I really don't want to pin my hopes on him being the franchise LT of the future....If the Steelers don't resign Smith.....They better bring in a vet or do everything in their power to try to land one in the draft.....I'm hoping Smith is resigned....If he is resigned it still would make sense to draft a LT......We need OT help period....I just would like to see a true LT drafted and if Smith is resigned let him move back to RT in 2010....He then could finish his career out as a RT....

I think this team has enough players that can play OG.....I think Kemo might be back if he proves to be solid this year....

There will still be a need for a center.....

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Farrior - stays
    Marvel Smith - gone unless he takes what the steelers offer
    Chris Kemoeatu - stays.
    Max Starks - gone unless he takes a discount
    Trai Essex - gone
    Willie Colon.- stays
    Bryant McFadden - gone unless he produces
    Nate Washington - do not let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
    Charlie Batch - good bye.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information